(ELI5) why can’t massless particles travel infinitely fast?

In summary: Beyond this speed, the laws of physics break down and we can't say what happens to the particle. Massless particles simply don't work the same as massive particles. They are fundamentally different kinds of entities and you can't apply the same intuitions to them.
balls
TL;DR Summary
why can’t you push something that’s massless with a finite amount of energy to make it travel infinitely fast.
I feel like if something is massless it should be able to travel infinitely fast with any amount of energy. When you have something with mass, you would need an infinite amount of energy to push it infinitely fast, but if the thing you’re pushing is massless, you should be able to push it with a finite amount of energy to make it travel infinitely fast, but you can only push it to about 300,000 km/s, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done on your own to answer this? This comes across as "I just don't believe in Relativity", which is kind of hard to counter.

Likes vanhees71
balls said:
I feel like
The short, blunt answer to this is, Nature doesn't care about your feelings. We know from an enormous amount of experimental data that massless particles travel at the speed of light.

balls said:
if the thing you’re pushing is massless, you
...cannot "push" it at all. It always travels at the same speed.

balls said:
you can only push it to about 300,000 km/s, why?
No, you don't "push" a massless particle to the speed of light. It always travels at the speed of light.

In other words, massless particles simply don't work the same as massive particles. They are fundamentally different kinds of entities and you can't apply the same intuitions to them.

Likes russ_watters, DennisN, robphy and 2 others
C is also the speed of causality. If it were infinite, causality would not exist. An effect cannot occur from a cause that is not in the back (past) light cone of that event.

LOL, Today I Learned that ELI5 = "Explain it Like I'm 5" :smile:

• Haha
Likes SammyS, russ_watters, anorlunda and 1 other person
berkeman said:
LOL, Today I Learned that ELI5 = "Explain it Like I'm 5" :smile:
LOL. I was wondering what that meant!

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
PeterDonis said:
Nature doesn't care about your feelings.
To be fair, Nature doesn't care about anybody's feelings. No privileged observers.

Likes DaveC426913, vanhees71, strangerep and 1 other person
balls said:
Summary: why can’t you push something that’s massless with a finite amount of energy to make it travel infinitely fast.

you should be able to push it with a finite amount of energy to make it travel infinitely fast, but you can only push it to about 300,000 km/s, why?
The relationship between mass, energy, and momentum is: ##m^2 c^2=E^2/c^2-p^2## then for a massless object ##m=0## so this simplifies to $$E=pc$$
The relationship between velocity, energy, and momentum is $$v=pc^2/E$$
Combining these we get that for a massless object $$v=pc^2/E=pc^2/pc=c$$

Last edited:
Likes john.phillip, Grinkle and vanhees71
There is a deeper question here that has been stumbled upon by the OP, perhaps unwittingly. It boils down to the different meaning of ”mass” in relativity and classical mechanics. In classical mechanics, mass is inertia, a resistance to acceleration typically found in Newton’s second law. In relativity, mass is rest energy and is not directly related to inertia by definition. In fact, in relativity inertia is direction dependent for moving objects. One of the big insights of relativity is the fact that at low speeds the inertia is equal to the rest energy - hence the use of the same nomenclature and ##E = mc^2##.

If you just consider Newton’s second law and think ##F=ma## for something ”massless” it does seem to make sense that acceleration would become infinite. But Newton’s second law in the form presented is only strictly valid in an object’s rest frame and a massless particle has no rest frame.

Likes Mister T, vanhees71 and robphy
CoolMint said:
C is also the speed of causality. If it were infinite, causality would not exist. An effect cannot occur from a cause that is not in the back (past) light cone of that event.
Galilean / Newtonian physics has an infinite maximum signal speed.
But it also has a causal structure.
(Technical point: the Galilean causal order is not a total order
when the relation is irreflexive: that is, it is a strict partial-order.
Physically speaking,
pairs of events can be ordered as long as they are not "simultaneous"
(i.e., if they are "spacelike-related in the Galilean spacetime").
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partially_ordered_set#Non-strict_partial_order )

From my diagram in https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/massless-photon.900960/page-2#post-5842652

1661536485329.png

Massless particles have "4-momentum" along the future-pointing cone (dashed cyan ray) in an energy-momentum diagram.

Although not shown for the ##m=0##-case,
increasing ##E## would require that ##p## increase such that
the new 4-momentum is still along the same dashed-cyan ray, but further up.
This is what special-relativity tells us.
And this agrees well with the experimental evidence.

Likes Dale
robphy said:
increasing ##E## would require that ##p## increase such that
the new 4-momentum is still along the same dashed-cyan ray, but further up.
This is what special-relativity tells us.
And this agrees well with the experimental evidence.
To put this another way, adding energy to a massless particle doesn't increase its speed, it increases its frequency.

Likes robphy
balls said:
(ELI5) why can’t massless particles travel infinitely fast?
Because according to the laws of physics, there exists a general speed limit.

Last edited:
The constant speed, c, of light forces us to model a geometry where there is a trade-off between speed and time. An object traveling faster appears to a stationary observer to have its time go slower. In that geometry, there is no speed greater than c.

Orodruin said:
There is a deeper question here that has been stumbled upon by the OP, perhaps unwittingly. It boils down to the different meaning of ”mass” in relativity and classical mechanics. In classical mechanics, mass is inertia, a resistance to acceleration typically found in Newton’s second law. In relativity, mass is rest energy and is not directly related to inertia by definition. In fact, in relativity inertia is direction dependent for moving objects. One of the big insights of relativity is the fact that at low speeds the inertia is equal to the rest energy - hence the use of the same nomenclature and ##E = mc^2##.

If you just consider Newton’s second law and think ##F=ma## for something ”massless” it does seem to make sense that acceleration would become infinite. But Newton’s second law in the form presented is only strictly valid in an object’s rest frame and a massless particle has no rest frame.
In addition massless particles do not make sense in Newtonian physics, particularly not in quantum mechanics.

Likes bhobba and malawi_glenn
robphy said:
Maarten Havinga said:
From the reference frame of the massless particle,

...snip...(Correct me if I'm wrong)
There is no such reference frame of a massless particle.

Here is an old post on why I say this:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/photons-perspective-of-time.107741/#post-899778

punchline:
A set of reasonable properties of a "reference frame"
as applied to particles with nonzero mass
has problems
when applying them to particles with zero invariant-mass.

Last edited:
Likes Ibix, bhobba and Doc Al
balls said:
I feel like if something is massless it should be able to travel infinitely fast (...) but you can only push it to about 300,000 km/s, why?

I like Dale's answer and there's a video that touches the core of the issue (with a hat trick) and hopefully does not deviate too much from the ELI5 requirement:

Likes Dale
balls said:
Summary: why can’t you push something that’s massless with a finite amount of energy to make it travel infinitely fast.
Because there's no such thing as infinitely fast. The fastest speed possible is ##c##.

1. Why can't massless particles travel at the speed of light?

Massless particles, such as photons, have no rest mass and therefore are always traveling at the speed of light. It is impossible for them to travel any faster.

2. Why can't massless particles travel infinitely fast?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. This applies to all particles, including massless ones. No particle can ever reach or exceed the speed of light.

3. How does the mass of a particle affect its speed?

The mass of a particle is directly related to its energy. As a particle's mass increases, so does its energy and therefore its speed. However, as a particle approaches the speed of light, its mass also increases, making it more difficult for it to accelerate further.

4. Can massless particles be slowed down?

No, massless particles cannot be slowed down. As they have no mass, they are always traveling at the speed of light and cannot be accelerated or decelerated.

5. How does the speed of light affect our understanding of the universe?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and has significant implications for our understanding of space and time. It plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of relativity and has helped us understand concepts such as time dilation and the relationship between mass and energy.