Elliptical orbits and focal points

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of focal points in elliptical orbits and how they differ from the Lagrange points. It was mentioned that the second focal point does not have any significant physical meaning, while the Lagrange points are utilized by space agencies for practical purposes. The conversation also touched upon how the presence of other bodies can affect these points.
Agent M27
I was recently studying elliptical orbits and the precession of the perihelion of Mercury. I remembered from my pre-calc class that all ellipses have two focal points. In this case the obvious would be the Sun as on focal point for all the planets, but where would the second be? I have a feeling it is something simillar to the Lagrangian points in that there is no concentration of anything, just a point in coordinate space relative to the repective bodies, i.e. L1 for Earth-Sun. Of course there would be a different focal point for each orbit. How might this point be affected if at all, by the presence of another body such as a moon. I don't know if this is a valid question or not due to the space being 3 dimensional and the material to which I am referring was dealing with 2 dimensional ellipses, but I had no idea how to word that in google or the search. Thanks in advance everyone.

Joe

Astronomy news on Phys.org
there is no concentration of anything, just a point in coordinate space relative to the repective bodies
Yes, there is nothing special at the second focal point. Precession will change its position with time.

Agent M27 said:
n this case the obvious would be the Sun as on focal point for all the planets, but where would the second be? I have a feeling it is something simillar to the Lagrangian points in that there is no concentration of anything, just a point in coordinate space relative to the repective bodies, i.e. L1 for Earth-Sun.
The other focal point has zero physical meaning. In contrast, the Lagrange points have a very real and very practical physical meaning. Several of the space agencies around the world take advantage of the Lagrange points. For example, the http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/about/orbit.html" is in a Lissajous orbit the about the Sun-Earth L1 point. Several vehicles similarly take advantage of the Sun-Earth L2 point.

How might this point be affected if at all, by the presence of another body such as a moon. I don't know if this is a valid question or not due to the space being 3 dimensional and the material to which I am referring was dealing with 2 dimensional ellipses, but I had no idea how to word that in google or the search.
As soon as you move from the ideal world of the two body problem in Newtonian mechanics to the real world with the Sun, [strike]nine[/strike] eight planets, a bunch of dwarf planets, and an even larger number of small bodies, orbits are no longer ellipses. They aren't even planar. The Lagrange points are still real.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Elliptical orbits and focal points

1. What is an elliptical orbit?

An elliptical orbit is the path that an object takes around another object in space, where the shape of the path is an ellipse. This is often seen in the orbits of planets around the sun, where the sun is located at one of the two focal points of the ellipse.

2. What are focal points in an elliptical orbit?

Focal points, also known as foci, are the two points within an ellipse where the two axes of the ellipse intersect. In an elliptical orbit, one of the focal points is occupied by the larger object that the smaller object is orbiting around, such as the sun in the case of planets orbiting the sun.

3. How is an elliptical orbit different from a circular orbit?

An elliptical orbit is different from a circular orbit in that it has a non-uniform shape, whereas a circular orbit is a perfect circle. Additionally, a circular orbit has only one focal point, while an elliptical orbit has two. In a circular orbit, the object's speed remains constant, while in an elliptical orbit, the object's speed changes as it moves closer to or farther away from the focal points.

4. What factors affect the shape of an elliptical orbit?

The shape of an elliptical orbit is influenced by a few different factors, including the masses of the two objects involved, the distance between the two objects, and the speed and direction of the orbiting object. These factors can cause the shape of the ellipse to vary, with more massive objects and closer distances resulting in more circular orbits, while less massive objects and farther distances result in more elongated orbits.

5. What is the significance of an object's distance from the focal point in an elliptical orbit?

The distance of an object from the focal point in an elliptical orbit is important because it affects the object's speed and gravitational pull. When the object is closer to the focal point, it moves faster and experiences a stronger gravitational pull, while when it is farther away, it moves slower and experiences a weaker gravitational pull. This is why planets have varying speeds and orbital periods in their elliptical orbits around the sun.