EM fields of two opposite moving point charges

In summary, the conversation was about a problem involving two point charges moving along the z-axis and the resulting electric and magnetic fields. The solution involved using Coulomb's law, Ampere's law, and Faraday's law, and the final answer included a correction factor due to the relativistic speeds of the charges. However, the individual summarizer has doubts about the final answer and wonders if a different approach should have been used.
{???}
I wrote and solved this problem but am having serious doubts about the answer I obtained.

Homework Statement

Two point charges [itex]\pm q[/itex] move along the [itex]z[/itex]-axis with velocity [itex]\pm v[/itex]. If they are at the origin when [itex]t=0[/itex], what is the electric field magnitude a distance [itex]r[/itex] from the [itex]z[/itex]-axis?

Homework Equations

The only things I seemed to need for this problem are Coulomb's law, Maxwell's correction to Ampere's law, and Faraday's law:
[tex]
\vec{E}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q}{r^2},\qquad
\mathcal{E}=-\frac{\mathrm{d}\Phi_B}{\mathrm{d}t},\qquad
\oint\vec{B}\cdot\mathrm{d}\vec{s}=\mu_0\epsilon_0\frac{\mathrm{d}\Phi_E}{\mathrm{d}t}.
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The positions of the point charges are [itex](0,0,\pm z)[/itex] where [itex]z=vt[/itex]. We wish to determine the [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] fields a distance [itex]r[/itex] from the axis where [itex]z=0[/itex], i.e., at [itex](x,y,0)[/itex] where [itex]x^2+y^2=r^2[/itex]. The first contribution is that of two opposite point charges; then [itex]E^{(0)}=-E_z^{(0)}[/itex], where
[tex]E_z^{(0)}=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r^2+z^2}\frac{-z}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}}
+\frac{-q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r^2+z^2}\frac{z}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}}
=-\frac{q}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{z}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}.[/tex]
Now consider the electric flux [itex]\Phi_E^{(0)}[/itex] through a circle of radius [itex]R[/itex] at [itex]z=0[/itex]. Then [itex]\Phi_E^{(0)}=\int\mathrm{d}\Phi_E^{(0)}[/itex], where we integrate over circular rings of thickness [itex]\mathrm{d}r[/itex]:
[tex]\mathrm{d}\Phi_E^{(0)}=\vec{E}^{(0)}\cdot\mathrm{d}\vec{A}=E_z^{(0)}\,\mathrm{d}A
=\left(-\frac{q}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{z}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}\right)(2\pi r\,\mathrm{d}r)
=-\frac{q}{2\epsilon_0}\frac{z(2r\,\mathrm{d}r)}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\Phi_E^{(0)}=\int\mathrm{d}\Phi_E^{(0)}
=-\frac{qz}{2\epsilon_0}\int_0^R\frac{2r\,\mathrm{d}r}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}
=-\frac{qz}{2\epsilon_0}\int_{z^2}^{R^2+z^2}u^{-\frac{3}{2}}\,\mathrm{d}u
=-\frac{qz}{2\epsilon_0}\big[-2u^{-\frac{1}{2}}\big]_{z^2}^{R^2+z^2}[/tex]
where we substituted [itex]u=r^2+z^2[/itex], [itex]\mathrm{d}u=2r\,\mathrm{d}r[/itex], [itex]u(0)=z^2[/itex], and [itex]u(R)=R^2+z^2[/itex]: Thus
[tex]\Phi_E^{(0)}(r)=-\frac{qz}{\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}}\right)
=\frac{q}{\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{z}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}}-1\right).[/tex]
Recall the Amp\`ere-Maxwell law,
[tex]\oint\vec{B}\cdot\mathrm{d}\vec\ell=\mu_0I_\mathrm{enc}+\mu_0\epsilon_0\frac{\mathrm{d}\Phi_E}{\mathrm{d}t}.[/tex]
By symmetry, we have that [itex]\vec{B}^{(0)}[/itex] is purely azimuthal, so [itex]\oint\vec{B}\cdot\mathrm{d}\vec\ell=(2\pi r)B_\phi^{(0)}[/itex]. Since [itex]I_\mathrm{enc}=0[/itex] (there is no current enclosed by the circular loop), we have
[tex](2\pi r)B_\phi^{(0)}=0+\mu_0\epsilon_0\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t}\left[\frac{q}{\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{z}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}}-1\right)\right]
=\mu_0\epsilon_0\left(\frac{q}{\epsilon_0}\right)\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}z}\left[\frac{z}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}}\right]\frac{\mathrm{d}z}{\mathrm{d}t}[/tex]
[tex]=\mu_0q\left(\frac{(1)(\sqrt{r^2+z^2})-(\frac{z}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}})(z)}{r^2+z^2}\right)v
=\mu_0qv\left(\frac{\frac{r^2+z^2}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}}-\frac{z^2}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}}}{r^2+z^2}\right)
=\mu_0qv\frac{r^2}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow B_\phi^{(0)}=\frac{\mu_0qv}{2\pi}\frac{r}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}.[/tex]
Now, [itex]B^{(0)}[/itex] itself changes with time, and a changing magnetic field induces an electric field according to Faraday's law:
[tex]\oint\vec{E}\cdot\mathrm{d}\vec\ell=-\frac{\mathrm{d}\Phi_B}{\mathrm{d}t}.[/tex]
Consider an infinitesimal rectangle of height [itex]\mathrm{d}z[/itex] and width [itex]\mathrm{d}r[/itex] about a point with [itex]z=0[/itex] a distance [itex]r[/itex] away from the [itex]z[/itex]-axis. Then the radial components cancel, and the lengthwise components give
[tex]\oint\vec{E}\cdot\mathrm{d}\vec\ell=E_z^{(1)}(r)\,\mathrm{d}z-E_z^{(1)}(r+\mathrm{d}r)\,\mathrm{d}z,\qquad
\frac{\mathrm{d}\Phi_B}{\mathrm{d}t}=\frac{\mathrm{d}B_\phi^{(0)}}{\mathrm{d}t}\,\mathrm{d}r\,\mathrm{d}z.[/tex]
By symmetry, [itex]E^{(1)}=E_z^{(1)}[/itex]. We now have
[tex][E_z^{(1)}(r)-E_z^{(1)}(r+\mathrm{d}r)]\,\mathrm{d}z=-\frac{\mathrm{d}B^{(0)}}{\mathrm{d}t}\,\mathrm{d}r\,\mathrm{d}z
\Rightarrow\frac{E_z^{(1)}(r+\mathrm{d}r)-E_z^{(1)}(r)}{\mathrm{d}r}=\frac{\mathrm{d}E_z^{(1)}}{\mathrm{d}r}=\frac{\mathrm{d}B_\phi^{(0)}}{\mathrm{d}t}.[/tex]
The right-hand side is given by
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}B_\phi^{(0)}}{\mathrm{d}t}
=\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}z}\left[\frac{\mu_0qv}{2\pi}\frac{r}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}\right]\frac{\mathrm{d}z}{\mathrm{d}t}
=\frac{\mu_0qv}{2\pi}\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}z}\left[\frac{r}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}\right]v
=\frac{\mu_0qv^2}{2\pi}\left(-\frac{3}{2}\frac{r(2z)}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{5}{2}}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\frac{\mathrm{d}E_z^{(1)}}{\mathrm{d}r}=\frac{\mu_0qv^2}{2\pi}\left(-\frac{3}{2}\frac{r(2z)}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{5}{2}}\right)
\Rightarrow E_z^{(1)}=\frac{\mu_0qv^2}{2\pi}\left(-\frac{3}{2}\int\frac{2rz\,\mathrm{d}r}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{5}{2}}\right)[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{\mu_0qv^2}{2\pi}\left(-\frac{3}{2}\int\frac{z\,\mathrm{d}u}{u^\frac{5}{2}}\right)
=\frac{\mu_0qv^2}{2\pi}\left(-\frac{3}{2}\right)\left(-\frac{2}{3}\frac{z}{u^\frac{3}{2}}\right)
=\frac{\mu_0qv^2}{2\pi}\frac{z}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}.[/tex]
Note that [itex]1/\sqrt{\mu_0\epsilon_0}=c[/itex], so [itex]\mu_0=1/(\epsilon_0c^2)[/itex] and thus
[tex]E_z^{(1)}=\frac{v^2}{c^2}\frac{q}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{z}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}.[/tex]
We have obtained [itex]E_z^{(1)}[/itex] by noting that the changing electric field [itex]\vec{E}^{(0)}[/itex] induced a magnetic field [itex]\vec{B}^{(0)}[/itex], which in turn induced an electric field [itex]\vec{E}^{(1)}[/itex]. However, the procedure does not stop there; the electric field [itex]\vec{E}^{(1)}[/itex] induces a magnetic field [itex]\vec{B}^{(1)}[/itex], which induces an electric field [itex]\vec{E}^{(2)}[/itex].

To determine [itex]E^{(2)}[/itex], we replace [itex]q[/itex] with [itex]q'=-\frac{v^2}{c^2}q[/itex] so that [itex]E^{(1)}=-(q'/2\pi\epsilon_0)[z/(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}][/itex] (which is exactly the same as [itex]E^{(0)}[/itex] with [itex]q'[/itex] instead of [itex]q[/itex]). Therefore
[tex]E_z^{(2)}=-\left(\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)^2\frac{q}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{z}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]
It is now clear that the [itex]n[/itex]th-order induced electric field is then
[tex]E_z^{(n)}=-\left(-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)^n\frac{q}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{z}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}.[/tex]
There are infinitely many contributions, which we sum via superposition:
[tex]E=-E_z=-\sum_{n=0}^\infty E_z^{(n)}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty\left[\left(-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)^n\right]\frac{q}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{z}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}
=\frac{1}{1+v^2/c^2}\frac{q}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{z}{(r^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}.[/tex]
Now, I am familiar with the deep connection between relativity and electromagnetism, so when a [itex]1/(1+v^2/c^2)[/itex] showed up instead of a [itex]1/(1-v^2/c^2)[/itex], I started wondering if I did something wrong. I have checked my signs and directions of induced fields five times, and they do appear to be correct. I'm starting to think that I don't want to use Coulomb's law for point charges moving at relativistic speeds. But then what do I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start in the rest frame of one of the charges (call it A). In that frame, the electric field of A is the coulomb field. The electric field of B is the field of a point charge moving with constant velocity. Do you know how to get that field?

What are EM fields of two opposite moving point charges?

EM fields of two opposite moving point charges refer to the electric and magnetic fields that are produced by two point charges with opposite charges and velocities. These fields interact with each other and affect the behavior of the charges and their surroundings.

How are EM fields of two opposite moving point charges calculated?

The EM fields of two opposite moving point charges can be calculated using Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and the motion of the charges. These equations take into account the charges' positions, velocities, and the distance between them.

What is the significance of EM fields of two opposite moving point charges?

The EM fields of two opposite moving point charges have significant implications in various areas of science and technology. They play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in motion, electromagnetic radiation, and the functioning of devices such as motors and generators.

How do EM fields of two opposite moving point charges affect each other?

EM fields of two opposite moving point charges affect each other through the Lorentz force, which is the force exerted on a charged particle by an electric and magnetic field. The strength and direction of this force depend on the charges' velocities and the orientation of the fields.

Can EM fields of two opposite moving point charges be observed?

While the fields themselves are not directly observable, their effects can be observed through various phenomena such as electromagnetic induction, which is the production of an electric current in a conductor by moving a magnetic field. Scientists also use specialized instruments such as magnetometers to measure the strength and direction of EM fields.