Emailing professors for research positions

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to approach professors for research opportunities without seeming pushy or intrusive. The suggested methods include emailing professors and showing enthusiasm for their work, as well as speaking with senior undergrads for potential leads. It is advised to be upfront and polite when asking for research positions and to treat professors as people rather than intimidating figures.
Mdhiggenz
So my engineering adviser, let me know I should be talking to professors about research spots.

However, I am having a hard time coming up with a plan on how to do this without seeming pushy or intrusive.

What I started doing is reading one of their papers that have been published, and emailing them letting them know I found there paper interesting, and wanted to know if it was possible if I could meet up with them in there office hours some time to discuss some curious questions I have regarding their field, and research endeavors.

Is this the correct way to approach the situation?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to go through a song and dance. Be upfront, but polite. Ask if they have or know of anyone who has research positions available. Many will likely say no.

Another approach is to speak with senior undergrads to find out who has hired in the past so you can approach professors who are reasonably likely to hire again.

Start with profs from whom you've taken a course. Show up in their office hours, in person. Come prepared with some general idea of what their research is about (reading a paper is good), but don't try to pretend that you know all about what they do.

Agreed with Choppy's comment. It's certainly fine to show enthusiasm about their work, but don't say you want to meet because you just have questions to satisfy your general curiosity when your main intention is to ask for a job. It's dishonest, they will see through it, and they will be probably be annoyed. Seeing as how your real question—could you work for them at some point—could have been just easily answered in replying to your original email, you can expect some of them to feel like you've wasted their office hour time (which you will have) and, on the whole, this is just not a good way to start off a potential professional relationship.

You don't need to employ a "stealth" approach. There's nothing pushy about saying you're an undergraduate looking to get some research experience, you've looked into their work on so-and-so and it seems and interesting, and you were wondering if they have any upcoming student research positions in this or similar work. If you have done well in relevant classes—perhaps even one he or she taught—it certainly wouldn't hurt to mention it.

I do remember what it was like to be a timid undergrad looking for a research job, but ultimately you do at some point have to get past the 'professorial intimidation factor' and worry that any errant word will bring down the wrath of the academical gods. Generally speaking, any extended amount of electronic communication with grammatically-challenged physics faculty will do this automatically—but then there's no time like the present to push through it. Seriously, if you feel like you're being a pain in their *** now, just wait till you're emailing them for the eleventh time to send another copy of their reference letter with your latest graduate school application. Best get used to treating them like people now. Busy people, mind you, but people.

for your question! It sounds like you are on the right track in reaching out to professors for research positions. Emailing professors and expressing interest in their research is a great way to start the conversation. However, I would suggest being more specific in your email and mentioning any relevant experiences or skills you have that make you a strong fit for their research team. Additionally, it may be helpful to attend any departmental events or seminars where you can meet professors in person and network with them. Good luck in your search for a research position!

1. How do I find professors to email for research positions?

To find professors to email for research positions, start by researching universities or institutions that have research programs in your field of interest. Look at their faculty pages to find professors whose research aligns with your interests. You can also ask your current professors or colleagues for recommendations.

2. What should I include in my email to a professor for a research position?

Your email should include a brief introduction of yourself, your academic background and research interests, and why you are interested in working with the professor specifically. You can also mention any relevant skills or experiences you have that would make you a good fit for their research team. Be sure to attach your CV and any other relevant documents.

3. How far in advance should I email a professor for a research position?

It is recommended to email a professor for a research position at least 2-3 months in advance. This will give them enough time to review your email and make a decision. However, if you have a specific timeline for your research project, make sure to mention it in your email and try to reach out to the professor accordingly.

4. Is it appropriate to follow up after sending an email to a professor for a research position?

Yes, it is appropriate to follow up after sending an email to a professor for a research position. However, make sure to wait at least 1-2 weeks before sending a follow-up email. Be polite and professional in your follow-up and mention your continued interest in the research position.

5. What should I do if I do not receive a response from a professor after emailing them for a research position?

If you do not receive a response from a professor after emailing them for a research position, do not be discouraged. Professors are often busy and may not have the time to respond to every email they receive. You can try following up after a couple of weeks or reach out to other professors for potential research opportunities. Networking and persistence are key when it comes to finding research positions.