Emergency stop for a machine with valves and cylinders

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a circuit using the cascade system to operate two cylinders and incorporating an emergency stop to park both cylinders in the extended position. The individuals are struggling with the placement of the emergency stop and are seeking guidance. One proposes integrating it with the two 5/2 dcv's supplying the cylinders, while another suggests placing it between a1 and the 5/2 changeover valve and b1 and the same changeover valve. They are all still unsure of the correct solution and are asking for help.
HDG
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
a)Design and draw a circuit using the cascade system to operate 2 cylinders (A&B) which, on the operation of the start valve produces the sequence A- B+ B- A+. The cylinders should park in the positions B- A+ when the start switch is in the off position

b)Modify the circuit designed for part a) to provide an emergency stop which will park both cylinders in the extended position (i.e. A+ B+)

I'm ok with part a) and satisfied that the circuit I have drawn is correct. I am, however, struggling with part b). The learning material given is literally 2 pages long and doesn't seem to provide enough info on how to answer the question correctly. It only states how an emergency stop will work with 1x cylinder and not 2!

Looking at the info provided I am thinking that the emergency stop can only really be placed in one place - on either side of the 5/2 changeover valve. One side will block a1 (selects group 1) and the other side will block b1 (selects group 2). The issue I'm having is that if it does go in this position then the cylinders will not both be in the outstroke position (A+ B+). Is anyone able to give me a nudge in the right direction please?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
HDG said:
Looking at the info provided I am thinking that the emergency stop can only really be placed in one place - on either side of the 5/2 changeover valve.

We can help if you provide us with the information and your solution to part A

q3a.jpg

Attachments

• q3a.jpg
    q3a.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,726
Sorry didn't think you were supposed to upload answers etc

that's my attempt at part a). I want to put the emergency stop in between a1 and the 5/2 changeover valve and b1 and the same changeover valve but I can't asee how this will make cylinder b outstroke (B+)

fig 9a.jpg
fig 9b.jpg

Attachments

• fig 9a.jpg
    fig 9a.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,572
  • fig 9b.jpg
    fig 9b.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,777
This is the emergency stop system I need to try and incorporate into my answer.

Hi

I know its been some time since this thread, but I don't suppose I could ask for a hint, as I'm stuck on the same part.
After looking at the notes on the emergency stop, I believe it should be integrated with the two 5/2 dcv's supplying the cylinders.
Does this sound right?

Alan

Did either of you lads get the answer to this? I’ve got the same question just in A+B-B+A- think I’ve got the drawing done just don’t know where to put the emergency stop.

Thanks
Liam

Rodgers said:
Did either of you lads get the answer to this? I’ve got the same question just in A+B-B+A- think I’ve got the drawing done just don’t know where to put the emergency stop.

Thanks
Liam

Liam,

Did you get anywhere with this?,

Thanks.

1. What is an emergency stop for a machine with valves and cylinders?

An emergency stop for a machine with valves and cylinders is a safety feature that allows for the immediate shutdown of the machine in case of an emergency or hazardous situation. It is typically activated by a push button or switch and will stop all movement and release pressure in the valves and cylinders.

2. When should the emergency stop be used?

The emergency stop should be used when there is an urgent need to stop the machine, such as a malfunction, unsafe condition, or potential injury to a person. It should not be used for routine or non-emergency situations.

3. How does the emergency stop work?

When the emergency stop is activated, it sends a signal to the machine's control system to immediately stop all movement and release pressure in the valves and cylinders. This is typically achieved by cutting off power to the machine and/or opening a relief valve to release pressure.

4. Is the emergency stop a reliable safety measure?

Yes, the emergency stop is a reliable safety measure when properly maintained and used correctly. However, it should not be solely relied upon as the only safety measure for the machine. Other safety features, such as guards and warning signs, should also be in place.

5. How can I test the emergency stop?

It is important to regularly test the emergency stop to ensure it is functioning properly. This can be done by pressing the emergency stop button or switch and observing if all movement stops and pressure is released. After testing, it is important to reset the emergency stop and resume normal operation of the machine.