Emissivity of Flexinol Wire: 70°C & 90°C

• Thread starter Jai Sankar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emissivity
In summary, the emissivity of Flexinol wire at temperatures of 70°C and 90°C is approximately 0.8, meaning it emits 80% of the radiation it absorbs at these temperatures. The emissivity of Flexinol wire generally increases with temperature, as it emits more radiation when heated. Factors such as surface roughness, oxidation, and material composition can affect the wire's emissivity. Compared to other materials, Flexinol wire has a relatively high emissivity. Its emissivity is typically measured using a spectrometer or infrared camera.
Jai Sankar
I searched all over the internet, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know the emissivity of 70 degrees C and the emissivity of 90 degrees C Flexinol wire?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you contacted the manufacturer?
I'd make an educated guess based on similar materials.
I'm guessing from this thread that you're interested in improving contraction rates of Nitinol? There's been quite a lot of research in this area. Convective heat transfer rates don't dramatically alter contraction times so I doubt you'd get a noticeable improvement by going to a vacuum.

Likes Nidum

1. What is the emissivity of Flexinol wire at temperatures of 70°C and 90°C?

The emissivity of Flexinol wire at temperatures of 70°C and 90°C is approximately 0.8. This means that it emits 80% of the radiation it absorbs at these temperatures.

2. How does the emissivity of Flexinol wire change with temperature?

The emissivity of Flexinol wire generally increases with temperature. This is because as the wire heats up, it emits more radiation and therefore has a higher emissivity.

3. What factors can affect the emissivity of Flexinol wire?

The emissivity of Flexinol wire can be affected by factors such as surface roughness, oxidation, and material composition. These factors can alter the wire's ability to absorb and emit radiation, leading to changes in its emissivity.

4. How does the emissivity of Flexinol wire compare to other materials?

The emissivity of Flexinol wire is relatively high compared to many other materials. For example, metals typically have lower emissivities, while non-metallic materials such as fabrics and plastics can have higher emissivities.

5. How is the emissivity of Flexinol wire measured?

The emissivity of Flexinol wire is typically measured using a spectrometer or infrared camera. These devices can detect the amount of radiation emitted by the wire and calculate its emissivity based on this data.