Emissivity of radiation from a surface, Leslies cube

In summary, the Leslie's cube is being used to demonstrate the emissivity of different surfaces. The black surface emits the most thermal radiation because it is a good absorber and ready emitter, while the silver or white surface reflects the energy back into the cube, resulting in lower emissivity. The physical explanation for this is that black surfaces absorb more energy and convert it into thermal radiation, while white or silver surfaces reflect the energy away.
rayman123

Homework Statement

Hello! I am going to do a demonstration involving the Leslie's cube to demonstrate the emissivity of a thermal radiation from different surfaces. I have been reading some about black body radiation which has emissivity = 1 but this is not the case. Leslie's cube has 4 surfaces but could someone explain to me why the black surface emitts the most of the radiation and the silver one least?

Thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Black surfaces absorb, silver or white surfaces reflect.

The absorption and emission processes are symmetrical. This means a good absorber is a ready emitter.

For the white or silvet surface pretend the energy to be emitted is just inside the cube. The silver surface will reflect the energy back into the box, so low emissivity.

yes I know that but I would like to know what is the physical explanaition for it? what makes that the black one emitts the most? why it has the highest emissivity ?

i just did experiment on Leslie's cube, but can not often answer 1 question: which says, what is the advantage and disadvantage of my device in every day life situation. can someone please help me with this!

Hello there!

The emissivity of a surface refers to its ability to emit thermal radiation. It is a measure of how efficiently a surface can emit radiation as compared to a black body, which is a theoretical object that absorbs all radiation incident on it and emits radiation at the maximum possible rate for a given temperature.

In the case of Leslie's cube, the black surface has an emissivity of 1 because it is designed to absorb and emit radiation as efficiently as a black body. This means that it will emit the most radiation compared to the other surfaces, which have lower emissivity values. The silver surface, on the other hand, has a lower emissivity because it is a good reflector of radiation and does not absorb or emit it as efficiently as the black surface.

In general, the emissivity of a surface depends on its material properties, surface finish, and temperature. Different materials have different abilities to emit radiation, and surfaces with rougher finishes tend to have higher emissivity values because they have a larger surface area to emit radiation from. Additionally, the emissivity of a surface increases with temperature, which is why the black surface of Leslie's cube, which is designed to absorb and emit radiation efficiently, will emit more radiation compared to the other surfaces at the same temperature.

I hope this helps to explain why the black surface of Leslie's cube emits the most radiation and the silver one emits the least. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your demonstration!

What is emissivity and how does it affect radiation from a surface?

Emissivity is the measure of how well a surface emits thermal radiation compared to an ideal blackbody. It affects the amount and type of radiation emitted by a surface, with higher emissivity surfaces emitting more heat and lower emissivity surfaces emitting less heat.

What is Leslie's cube and how does it demonstrate emissivity?

Leslie's cube is a device used to demonstrate the principles of thermal radiation and emissivity. It consists of four different surfaces, each with a different emissivity, placed inside a hollow cube. By heating the cube and measuring the amount of radiation emitted by each surface, one can observe the differences in emissivity between the surfaces.

How does the color and texture of a surface affect its emissivity?

The color and texture of a surface can affect its emissivity. Generally, darker and rougher surfaces have higher emissivity, while lighter and smoother surfaces have lower emissivity. This is because darker and rougher surfaces have more surface area and can absorb and emit more radiation, while lighter and smoother surfaces reflect more radiation and have less surface area for emission.

Does emissivity vary with temperature?

Yes, emissivity can vary with temperature. In general, most surfaces have a higher emissivity at higher temperatures. However, some surfaces, such as metals, may have a lower emissivity at higher temperatures due to changes in their surface properties.

How is emissivity measured and what are some typical values?

Emissivity is typically measured using a spectrometer, which measures the amount of radiation emitted by a surface at different wavelengths. Typical values for emissivity range from 0 to 1, with a perfect blackbody having an emissivity of 1 and a perfect reflector having an emissivity of 0. Most common materials have an emissivity between 0.8 and 0.95.