Emptying a container and Efflux Speed

In summary: Yes, the speed of efflux ##v_{efflux}## of a liquid, say water, from an orifice in the lower part of a container depends on the vertical distance between the free surface of the fluid and the lower position of the orifice in the container itself. The faster the speed ##v_{efflux}## the quicker the container will be emptied. However, the pressure inside the fluid is equal to the pressure at the air/fluid interface. If the fluid is brought to a stop, the pressure at that point(s), called stagnation points will be isotropic and ##p_{fluid} >p_{air}##.
fog37
TL;DR Summary
fluid efflux speed and how quickly a container is emptied
Hello Forum,

The speed of efflux ##v_{efflux}## of a liquid, say water, from an orifice in the lower part of a container depends on the vertical distance between the free surface of the fluid and the lower position of the orifice in the container itself. The faster the speed ##v_{efflux}## the quicker the container will be emptied.

Assuming the same vertical separation between free surface and orifice position, how do the orifice diameter ##D## and the shape of the orifice impact the speed at which the container is emptied?

I believe that both the orifice diameter ##D## and shape should/could have an effect on how quickly the container gets emptied. Different orifice shapes would probably produce different ##v_{efflux}## for the same orifice diameter ##D##. In theory, the diameter ##D## should not matter since the continuity equation stating that ##D_1 v_1 = D_2 v_2## but I wonder if in real life a larger diameter ##D## would empty the container faster...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If the orifice has a diameterD, how could it be any other shape but round?

Sorry, I was not clear. I understand that there are indeed different orifice types. I guess they can have the same cross-sectional area but different effect:

1608763408336.png

fog37 said:
Sorry, I was not clear. I understand that there are indeed different orifice types. I guess they can have the same cross-sectional area but different effect:

View attachment 274974
In the case of approximating with Bernoulli’s equation, this is irrelevant.

Likes fog37
Ok, so, assuming just a circular orifice, the larger the area the smaller ##v_{efflux}## and vice versa but the time it takes to empty the container is about the same.

As far as the different orifice shapes, they produce, I believe, a different spread/divergence of the exiting fluid from the orifice...

To answer your first question, the exiting velocity will be approximately constant at √2gh, but the flow is Q=v*A, so an orifice with twice the area will discharge twice the flow. This will be modified depending on the "vena contracta" of the exiting fluid, which depends on orifice geometry, but in general, the same orifice shape twice as big will have twice the flow.

The exit velocity is indeed affected by the shape of the orifice. Each orifice shape as a Cv value (not to be confused with the Cv Valve coefficient). For instance, the sharp edge orifice above has a Cv of 0.98, so the velocity is reduced by 2%. The short tube, on the other hand, has a Cv of 0.6 to 0.8 depending on if the fluid separates from the walls of the tube, so the exit velocity will be much less.

The effective area of the orifice will be affected by the vena contracta, as I said above. The reduction in area depends on the orifice geometry again, so each orifice geometry has a Cc value as well, which reduces the effective area. Cc for the sharp edged orifice is 0.63, for instance.

Putting it all together, the flow out of the orifice is Q=A*Cv*Cc*√2gh.

Likes fog37
The Fez said:
To answer your first question, the exiting velocity will be approximately constant at √2gh, but the flow is Q=v*A, so an orifice with twice the area will discharge twice the flow. This will be modified depending on the "vena contracta" of the exiting fluid, which depends on orifice geometry, but in general, the same orifice shape twice as big will have twice the flow.

The exit velocity is indeed affected by the shape of the orifice. Each orifice shape as a Cv value (not to be confused with the Cv Valve coefficient). For instance, the sharp edge orifice above has a Cv of 0.98, so the velocity is reduced by 2%. The short tube, on the other hand, has a Cv of 0.6 to 0.8 depending on if the fluid separates from the walls of the tube, so the exit velocity will be much less.

The effective area of the orifice will be affected by the vena contracta, as I said above. The reduction in area depends on the orifice geometry again, so each orifice geometry has a Cc value as well, which reduces the effective area. Cc for the sharp edged orifice is 0.63, for instance.

Putting it all together, the flow out of the orifice is Q=A*Cv*Cc*√2gh.
Thank you Fez and Chestermiller.

Fez, when the fluid exits the container, the pressure at the air/fluid interface is equal to the existing air pressure, i.e. the air pressure is ##p_{air}## and the fluid pressure is ##p_{air}=p_{fluid}##.

I believe the pressure inside the fluid is also equal to ##p_{fluid}=p_{air}##. So the speed at which the fluid is moving does not affect the fluid pressure ##p_{fluid}##. However, if the fluid is brought to a stop, the pressure at that point(s), called stagnation points will be isotropic and ##p_{fluid} >p_{air}##.

Is that correct?

What is the purpose of emptying a container?

The purpose of emptying a container is to remove the contents of the container, whether it is a liquid, gas, or solid, in order to transfer it to another location or to dispose of it.

What factors affect the efflux speed of a container?

The efflux speed of a container is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the container, the viscosity of the contents, the pressure inside the container, and the size and shape of the opening through which the contents are flowing.

How does the shape of a container affect the efflux speed?

The shape of a container can affect the efflux speed by changing the pressure and flow of the contents. A container with a narrow opening will have a faster efflux speed than a container with a wider opening, as the narrow opening creates more pressure and a faster flow.

What is the Bernoulli's principle and how does it relate to efflux speed?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This principle relates to efflux speed because as the contents of a container flow through a narrow opening, the speed increases and the pressure decreases, resulting in a faster efflux speed.

How can the efflux speed of a container be measured?

The efflux speed of a container can be measured using various methods, such as timing how long it takes to empty a certain volume of the contents, using a flow meter to measure the rate of flow, or using equations to calculate the speed based on the size and shape of the container and the properties of the contents.