Encouraging My Younger Brother's Passion for Physics

In summary, encouraging a younger brother's passion for physics involves providing support, resources, and opportunities for them to explore the subject further. This can include engaging in discussions, attending science events, and finding relevant books or online resources. It is important to also foster a positive attitude towards learning and experimentation, and to celebrate their achievements and progress. Encouraging a love for physics can lead to lifelong curiosity and a potential career path in the field.
fileen
I like physics but I am not much good at it. My younger brother has suddenly become quite passionate about it, he's joined the science club and everything. I don't usually post anything here I am more into just reading peoples thoughts, but he's asked me about the string theory and I haven't a clue what to tell him. He has never been a fan of school in fact he has been failing. Suddenly his marks have jumpped and he seems really focused. I want to encourage him, any info in that would spark his interest yet not confuse him (or myself) would be awsome. I don't think I've heard of the string theory. I looked through my physics books but I didnt see anything. Perhaps it has another name? I think it has to do with forces. I hate searching for things online. I get so many contradictions and I never know who I can believe and who is full of it.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
if its a high school textbook, string theory isn't going to be anywhere in there.

its a theory of little quantum strings holding the universe together

String theory is one tough cookie. One will need to know classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, thermodynamic, Relativity, as well as some more advanced math such as PDE's, topography, etc... :(

Just find and continually buy him books on string theory and the subjects that lead up to it, as per Agnostic's list.

Brian Greene's https://www.amazon.com/dp/0375708111/?tag=pfamazon01-20 is an excellent one. Enough detail to really stretch your brain but still pretty accessible (if you read it twice - and slowly, slow enough so as not to create cranial stretch marks. I'm not kidding on this one).

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a pretty decent internet connection, you can download (legally) the PBS documentary based on Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe" from their website (or plenty of other video websites).

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

As a sparkly introduction to string theory it's pretty good, though obviously almost completely devoid of specific (which is almost all maths). My parents stopped doing physics over 30 years ago (before even quarks were known to exist!) and they managed to follow the programs and found them entertaining.

Once your little brother has seen that, reading the book might be a bit easier because he can relate the ideas to some of the graphics/animations in the TV show which helps a lot when you're introduced to a Calabi Yau space for the first time! As Dave says above, get him to read it slowly, it's a book you have to concentrate on for large parts.

Other than that, I recommend going to your local decent bookstore and buying a few pop science books. Authors like Gribbin are usually pretty good at explaining quantum or relativity stuff in a way that pre-university people can follow well.

Don't forget Michio Kaku's Hyperspace and Parallel Worlds!

Not all people are happy with string theory.
Big problem is it doesn't make any testable predictions.

Books along this line
Lee Smolin's The trouble with Physics
and
Peter Woit's Not Even Wrong

NoTime said:
Not all people are happy with string theory.
Big problem is it doesn't make any testable predictions.

Books along this line
Lee Smolin's The trouble with Physics
and
Peter Woit's Not Even Wrong

String Theory should be taught to people studying philosophy...assuming they have a very good math background.

Related to Encouraging My Younger Brother's Passion for Physics

What can I do to encourage my younger brother's passion for physics?

There are many things you can do to encourage your younger brother's passion for physics. One idea is to spend time with him exploring different concepts and experiments related to physics. You can also introduce him to books, videos, and podcasts that discuss interesting topics in physics. Additionally, you can help him find a mentor or join a physics club or program to further develop his interest and skills.

How can I make physics more fun and engaging for my younger brother?

There are numerous ways to make physics more fun and engaging for your younger brother. You can incorporate hands-on activities and experiments, use interactive simulations or games, and create challenges or puzzles for him to solve. You can also relate physics concepts to real-life scenarios and allow him to explore topics that interest him the most.

What resources are available for my younger brother to learn more about physics?

There are many resources available for your younger brother to learn more about physics. Some options include books, websites, online courses, and educational videos. You can also check with your local library or science center for resources and programs specifically geared towards younger students.

How can I support my younger brother's interest in physics without overwhelming him?

It is important to support your younger brother's interest in physics without overwhelming him. One way to do this is to let him take the lead and explore topics at his own pace. You can also break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces and provide encouragement and positive reinforcement along the way. It is also important to respect his boundaries and allow him to take breaks when needed.

What are some potential career opportunities in the field of physics?

There are many potential career opportunities in the field of physics. Some common careers include research scientists, engineers, educators, medical physicists, and data analysts. Other less traditional career paths may include science communication, science policy, and science journalism. It is important to explore different options and find a career that aligns with your younger brother's interests and strengths.