Energy - Cannon Ball and Conservation of Energy

In summary, the problem involves a cannon ball being fired at a 30 degree angle from the top of a 10m fortress wall with an initial velocity of 80m/s. Using the conservation of energy equation, the final impact velocity on the ground below is found to be 81.22m/s. There is a slight contribution from the potential energy at 10m, but it is very small in comparison to the kinetic energy. There may be a missing data point for the height of the ball after it was shot, but the answer is still correct.
mcnealymt
Energy -- Cannon Ball and Conservation of Energy

Homework Statement

A cannon tilted up at a 30.0 angle fires a cannon ball at 80m/s from atop a 10m -high fortress wall. What is the ball's impact speed on the ground below?

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy

Ugi+KEi= KEf

*please note that the ground is the zero for potential energy *

The Attempt at a Solution

Ugi+KEi= KEf

mgh+.5mVi^2= .5mVf^2 (m cancels out)

gh+ .5Vo^2= .5V1^2

V1= Square root of {(gh+.5Vo^2)/.5}

81.22m/s

Is this right? I expected the velocity to be much greater since the object was in freefall.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try splitting the velocity into it's x and y components, and then put them into the energy equations

You did everything correctly. The contribution of the height is very small, because the potential energy at 10 m is insignificant in comparison with the kinetic energy at 80 m/s. You may want to find out what height a body must fall from to attain 80 m/s, you will see it is much higher than 10 m.

I think there is a missing data which is the height of the ball after it was shot (the point where K.E=0), because it stated that the cannon is tilted up 30 degrees and the result should be about projectile motion. The height for P.E should be more than 10m and at the end the result of the final velocity will be bigger when it reaches 0 m.

Note: use the conservation of energy in projectile motion

I think there is a missing data which is the height of the ball after it was shot (the point where K.E=0), because it stated that the cannon is tilted up 30 degrees and the result should be about projectile motion. The height for P.E should be more than 10m and at the end the result of the final velocity will be bigger when it reaches 0 m.

bs15benny said:

You may want to review your understanding of "conservation of energy".

Indeed.

Sorry for the late response you guys. First off, I would like to thank each and everyone of you for taking out the time to help me. As it turns out, the answer that I had was correct. Again, sorry for the late response, and thank you for the assistance.

1. What is a cannon ball and how does it relate to energy?

A cannon ball is a spherical projectile that is fired from a cannon. It relates to energy because when it is fired, it has kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. This energy is dependent on the mass and velocity of the cannon ball.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to a cannon ball?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the case of a cannon ball, when it is fired, the potential energy stored in the cannon's gunpowder is converted into kinetic energy as the cannon ball moves through the air.

3. Can a cannon ball ever reach a state of zero energy?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, the total energy of a system must remain constant. Therefore, even if a cannon ball were to stop moving, it would still have some potential energy due to its position in the Earth's gravitational field.

4. How does air resistance affect the energy of a cannon ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts against the motion of a cannon ball and reduces its kinetic energy. This means that the cannon ball will not travel as far and will have less energy when it reaches its target compared to if it were in a vacuum.

5. Is the energy of a cannon ball affected by its shape or size?

Yes, the shape and size of a cannon ball can affect its energy. A larger or more streamlined cannon ball will have less air resistance, allowing it to travel further and retain more of its kinetic energy. Additionally, a heavier cannon ball will have more potential energy due to its mass, but it will also require more energy to be accelerated to the same velocity as a lighter cannon ball.