Energy and momentum conservation

In summary: Yes. While the ball moves from point A to B there is an external force on the system (from the fixed baffle), so momentum is not conserved.
Cc518

Homework Statement

An object with a mass of 5kg is placed on a horizontal surface and it has a semi-circular orbit with radius 1m. Its left end is close to a baffle fixed on the ground. A ball with a mass of 1kg is released from the point A by static. The surface and the groove are both smooth. Ignore the air resistance. Calculate the maximum height at which the ball rises.

Homework Equations

xkCsabn3H61juPIvVbwmM35eEzbbrFfKDhMfIda4vBSLGnEx_zyntDFzWsektfgoHOpazA=s170.jpg

From A to B:
mgR=1/2 (VB)2
VB = √2gR
From B to C:
mVB = (M + m) VC
mgR=mgh+1/2(M+m) * (VC)² where h is the height

The Attempt at a Solution

I can use these relationships to get the answer, but I don understand why I can use these 2 equations in the same problem:
mVB = (M + m) VC which is an equation for inelastic collision,
mgR=mgh+1/2(M+m) * (VC)² which represents the energy is conserved

If I assume this is an inelastic collision, then the energy will not be conserved. mgR=mgh+1/2(M+m) * (VC)² This equation will not be true if it's an inelastic collision.

I also thought this is an elastic collision, and the two objects just move at the same final velocity. But how can I tell this is an inelastic or elastic collision?

Attachments

• xkCsabn3H61juPIvVbwmM35eEzbbrFfKDhMfIda4vBSLGnEx_zyntDFzWsektfgoHOpazA=s170.jpg
    xkCsabn3H61juPIvVbwmM35eEzbbrFfKDhMfIda4vBSLGnEx_zyntDFzWsektfgoHOpazA=s170.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 245
Physics news on Phys.org
Cc518 said:
mVB = (M + m) VC which is an equation for inelastic collision,
That equation is a statement of momentum conservation. There's no inelastic collision here. (Energy is conserved.)

Doc Al said:
That equation is a statement of momentum conservation. There's no inelastic collision here. (Energy is conserved.)
Oh, I see :smile:
Thank you for reply.

To elaborate on @Doc Al 's reply, all conservation laws come with conditions attached. The conditions which are satisfied in a given situation can be any combination.
In the present problem, conditions for work conservation are satisfied throughout, whereas conditions for linear momentum conservation of the particle+block system are only satisfied after the particle reaches B. Why not before that?

haruspex said:
To elaborate on @Doc Al 's reply, all conservation laws come with conditions attached. The conditions which are satisfied in a given situation can be any combination.
In the present problem, conditions for work conservation are satisfied throughout, whereas conditions for linear momentum conservation of the particle+block system are only satisfied after the particle reaches B. Why not before that?

Because the object cannot move with the ball from point A to B, the momentum is not conserved?

Cc518 said:
Because the object cannot move with the ball from point A to B, the momentum is not conserved?
Yes. While the ball moves from point A to B there is an external force on the system (from the fixed baffle), so momentum is not conserved.

Thank you so much!

1. What is the law of energy conservation?

The law of energy conservation states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does momentum conservation work?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that in a collision or interaction between objects, the total momentum before and after the interaction must be the same.

3. What are some real-world examples of energy conservation?

Some common examples of energy conservation include turning off lights when leaving a room, using public transportation or carpooling to reduce fuel consumption, and choosing energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs.

4. How does energy conservation contribute to sustainability?

By conserving energy, we reduce our reliance on non-renewable resources such as fossil fuels, which contribute to climate change and environmental degradation. By using energy more efficiently, we can help preserve these resources for future generations.

5. Why is momentum conservation important in understanding and predicting physical interactions?

Momentum conservation is important because it helps us understand and predict the outcomes of physical interactions between objects. By knowing that momentum is conserved, we can use mathematical equations to calculate the velocities and directions of objects after a collision or interaction.