Energy consumed in a digital circuit

In summary: This Analog Readout Power Meter can measure up to 5 amps with a resolution of .1 amps.In summary, this power meter monitors current and brightness proportional to the current and voltage going into the circuit.
reddvoid
I have a digital circuit , to find the energy consumed by the circuit, I am monitoring the current drawn from the supply and integrating it to get the charge pumped into the circuit ... and the total charge*V supposed to give me total energy consumed by the circuit.

But I am getting a small spike of negative current (current going back into the source?)
which gives me negative charge (charge going back into the source?)
which gives me negative energy ( Energy gained by the source?)

Do I have to consider this negative energy while calculating total energy consumed by the circuit or should I neglect it ?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your units are wrong. Charge is not energy. Current is not power.

##P=VI##

Only in the special case where V is constant, can you say power is proportional to current.

And yes, power can reverse direction transiently, so you need to allow for that in your integration.

Hi anorlunda,
I did not understand how the units are wrong.
P=VI = V (dQ/dt)
P dt = V dQ = watts second
Watts = Joules/second
so dQ * V should give me Joules ; that is Energy
so, my statement --> " the total charge*V supposed to give me total energy consumed by the circuit " ...seems to be right ,
I don't see where I am wrong.
Can you please point out ?

Thanks

reddvoid said:
Hi anorlunda,
P=VI = V (dQ/dt)
P dt = V dQ = watts second
Watts = Joules/second
so dQ * V should give me Joules ; that is Energy
so, my statement --> " the total charge*V supposed to give me total energy consumed by the circuit " ...seems to be right ,
I don't see where I am wrong.
Can you please point out ?

Thanks
I don't think it's wrong, basically you're calculating ∫VI⋅dt.

Can you show the circuit diagram and how you are measuring the current? As anorlunda said, power can reverse direction, especially if the circuit contains energy storing element(s).

Last edited:
reddvoid said:

My bad, I read it wrong.

reddvoid said:
But I am getting a small spike of negative current (current going back into the source?)
Move power supply bypass capacitance from the supply to the digital circuit supply rails.
Currents flowing back to the power supply reservoir may be due to the inductive kick when a digital output is turned off.
Is it possible that your supply voltage is dropping suddenly ?
Without a better idea of your circuit, we cannot guess why you have so much energy looking for somewhere to go.

Likes rbelli1
anorlunda said:
And yes, power can reverse direction transiently
Baluncore said:
Currents flowing back to the power supply reservoir may be due to the inductive kick when a digital output is turned off.

I would be very concerned with any circuit that returns current to the source when that was not specifically designed in.

Baluncore said:
Move power supply bypass capacitance from the supply to the digital circuit supply rails.

I was thinking just this but you beat me to it. Make sure to maintain stability by leaving sufficient capacitance near the power supply too.

Also try to keep the power and ground traces and planes as symmetrical and as short as possible. Modern digital circuits have very high slew rates and even run at low frequency will produce harmonics in very high frequencies. It doesn't take much to produce an RF transmitter (and receiver) with bad power distribution.

BoB

Something to note... You might want to track voltage by time as well. Calculate instantaneous power and then integrate that. Even though your nominal voltage may be at say 5 v. it will vary from 4.8 to 5.2 as your circuit operates. In fact, with those negative current spikes I would not be surprised at all if the voltage changes. Adding bypass caps as others suggested would help this.

Also, if you do not want to actively monitor 2 sources at once, at least measure the voltage with a dmm, don't take the power supplies word for it.

Also how are you monitering current?

A shunt resistor? A hall sensor?

Here is a schematic for an analog readout Power Meter. The frequency response is limited by the response time of the LDR and the OpAmp. When powered with the same power supply, the OpAmp must accept common mode input voltage down to the negative supply.
Component values are left as an exercise for the reader. :frown:

The LED brightness is proportional to load current and the LDR varies its resistance in response. The LDR, being referenced to the Load Voltage, thus acts to multiply the Load Voltage by the Load Current at the circuit output terminal.
The OFFSET control is to bias the LED on at zero Load Current so a negative current can be sensed.

blob.png

Attachments

• blob.png
    blob.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 350

What is energy consumed in a digital circuit?

Energy consumed in a digital circuit refers to the amount of electrical energy used by a digital system or device to perform its intended functions. This energy is required to power the different components of the circuit, such as transistors, resistors, and capacitors.

How is energy consumed in a digital circuit measured?

The energy consumed in a digital circuit is typically measured in units of joules (J), which is the standard unit of energy. However, it can also be measured in units of watts (W), which is the unit of power, or in units of ampere-hours (Ah), which is a measure of the total charge consumed by the circuit over a period of time.

What factors affect the energy consumed in a digital circuit?

The energy consumed in a digital circuit is affected by various factors, including the number and type of components used, the clock speed of the circuit, the operating voltage, and the temperature. Additionally, the design and efficiency of the circuit can also impact the energy consumption.

How can energy consumption in a digital circuit be reduced?

There are several methods for reducing the energy consumption in a digital circuit. These include using energy-efficient components, optimizing the design of the circuit, reducing the clock speed, and implementing power-saving techniques such as voltage scaling and clock gating. Additionally, using renewable energy sources to power the circuit can also reduce its overall energy consumption.

Why is it important to reduce energy consumption in digital circuits?

Reducing energy consumption in digital circuits is important for several reasons. Firstly, it can help to reduce the overall energy consumption and carbon footprint of electronic devices, which is crucial for environmental sustainability. Secondly, it can also lead to cost savings for consumers and businesses. Finally, reducing energy consumption can also improve the overall performance and lifespan of the circuit by reducing heat generation and minimizing the risk of overheating.