Energy distribution of backscattered electrons

In summary, the function of energy distribution of transmitted electrons is to show the varying energies of electrons that pass through a material. The specific energy distribution for a given setup can be calculated using MONTE CARLO simulations. However, the energy distribution for incoming electrons must be known in order for the program to calculate the transmission coefficient.
mariemarie
I would like to ask what does mean energy distribution ,and how can I calculate the energy distribution of transmitted electrons .
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The electrons will get different energies - some more, some less. This is called "energy distribution".
mariemarie said:
and how can I calculate the energy distribution of transmitted electrons .
What is the setup you consider?

Hi,
I want to know the function of energy distribution of transmitted electrons.
thanks mfb.

mariemarie said:
I would like to ask what does mean energy distribution ,and how can I calculate the energy distribution of transmitted electrons .
Thanks

mariemarie said:
Hi,
I want to know the function of energy distribution of transmitted electrons.
thanks mfb.

Have you compared what you wrote with the title of the thread that you made? They don't match!

Secondly, there is no such thing as a universal energy distribution of transmitted electrons. That is why mfb asked for the setup of the experiment! The transmitted electrons distribution for, say, tunneling electrons is different than the transmitted distribution in a TEM experiment! There isn't a generic, universal distribution!

So don't be lazy, be explicit in what you want!

BTW, this is not a HEP topic.

Zz.

Likes dlgoff
Hi,

I have calculated the transmission coefficient of electron with MONTE CARLO simulation,so I want to calculate the energy distribution and I didn't find the function of energy distribution of transmitted electrons.
thanks

The same simulations should give you the energy distribution for your specific setup.

mfb said:
The same simulations should give you the energy distribution for your specific setup.
I have to insert the function of distribution in my program to get it that is why I search for the function of energy disribution of transmitted electrons.
thanks for your help

If your program calculates the transmission coefficient in a material, then you do not have to know the energy behind that material in advance. That does not make sense at all.

Your program needs the energy distribution of the incoming electrons, but that is something completely different.

mfb said:
If your program calculates the transmission coefficient in a material, then you do not have to know the energy behind that material in advance. That does not make sense at all.

Your program needs the energy distribution of the incoming electrons, but that is something completely different.

Thank you

Related to Energy distribution of backscattered electrons

1. What is the energy distribution of backscattered electrons?

The energy distribution of backscattered electrons refers to the range of energies that are found in electrons that have been scattered back at an angle greater than 90 degrees from the surface of a material. This distribution is affected by factors such as the atomic number and density of the material, as well as the incident electron energy.

2. How is the energy distribution of backscattered electrons measured?

The energy distribution of backscattered electrons can be measured using a technique called backscattered electron spectroscopy (BSE). This involves directing a beam of electrons at the material and analyzing the energy of the electrons that are scattered back using a detector such as an energy dispersive X-ray spectrometer.

3. What information can be obtained from the energy distribution of backscattered electrons?

The energy distribution of backscattered electrons can provide valuable information about the composition and structure of a material. By analyzing the energy distribution, scientists can determine the atomic number of the elements present in the material, as well as the thickness and density of different layers within the material.

4. How does the energy distribution of backscattered electrons differ from secondary electron emission?

The energy distribution of backscattered electrons differs from secondary electron emission in that backscattered electrons are scattered back at a high angle, while secondary electrons are emitted at a lower angle. Additionally, backscattered electrons have a higher energy compared to secondary electrons, allowing for more detailed analysis of the material.

5. Can the energy distribution of backscattered electrons be affected by the instrument used for measurement?

Yes, the energy distribution of backscattered electrons can be affected by the type of instrument used for measurement. Different types of detectors or different configurations of the instrument can affect the energy range and resolution of the backscattered electrons. It is important for scientists to carefully calibrate their instruments to ensure accurate and consistent results.