Energy expended during static exercises

In summary, when calculating the energy/power expended during static exercises, it is important to consider the concept of metabolic equivalents (METs) which is a unit used to measure energy consumption. This can be used as a proxy for the energy used during exercise, and can be calculated using tables or exercise machines that measure oxygen consumption.
Eric vdm
Trying to wrap my head around how to calculate the energy/power expended when doing static exercises (i.e. static hangs from rings or handstands etc.) for various intervals...

How do I relate the impulse (between myself and the rings or surface) to the total energy or work performed in say calories?

Thanks in advance.
Eric

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi
welcome to PF :smile:

Eric vdm said:
(i.e. static hangs from rings or handstands etc.)

Work = F x s (s = displacement)
since there is no displacement, there is no force and therefore no work is being performed

I'm not qualified to answer what biochemical actions /reactions are occurring in the muscles
maybe some one else can answer that

During static exercises the efficiency is zero. So energy is expended to do 0 work.

Thanks for your reply's.

I understand in classical mechanics zero displacement = zero work.

What I don't get is the energy expended in order to resit gravity alone.

I tried to calculate the gravitational potential energy between myself and the center of the earth...(G.m1.m2/R) but the answer is senseless.

Confusing o_O

No energy is required to resist gravity. E.g. a table can hold a book against gravity indefinitely using no energy.

Here is an applet: http://www.juststand.org/OnlineToolbox/tabid/637/Default.aspx

This applet takes a bioenergetics approach. Straight mechanics, like @Dale cites, is correct if you were a dead blob. Most of us are at least conscious blobs. Humans use food energy, consume oxygen, and generate CO2. Simply doing zero movement.

This energy consumption is typically stated in exercise physiology and medicine in terms of units called a MET, or metabolic equivalent.. To calculate this using standard Physics is complex to say the least. So measuring oxygen consumption works as a very easily measured and pretty accurate proxy for this energy use.
There are standards for determining this value, so you can use tables to get an approximate value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_equivalent.

So, simply sitting still, for a 60kg human, uses ~1 MET. Illness or trauma affects this value, for example.
Exercise machines in gyms, like treadmills, often have an option to enter your weight and show a running estimate of METs as you exercise. Example: Prescribed exercise may expect you to shoot for 3.0 METs, so if you exercise at that rate for one hour you have 3 * 60 = 180 MET minutes.

Likes BillTre

1. What are static exercises?

Static exercises are physical movements that involve holding a position without moving for a set amount of time. Examples include planks, wall sits, and static lunges.

2. How is energy expended during static exercises?

Energy is expended during static exercises through the contraction and relaxation of muscles. The longer a muscle is held in a static position, the more energy is required to maintain that position.

3. Is the amount of energy expended during static exercises significant?

The amount of energy expended during static exercises may not be as high as during dynamic exercises, but it is still significant. The intensity and duration of the exercise play a role in the amount of energy expended.

4. Can static exercises help with weight loss?

Yes, static exercises can contribute to weight loss as they can increase muscle mass and improve overall strength and endurance. However, a combination of a healthy diet and other forms of exercise is recommended for optimal weight loss.

5. Are there any other benefits of performing static exercises?

Aside from weight loss, static exercises can also improve balance, stability, and core strength. They can also be helpful for injury prevention and rehabilitation, as well as improving overall muscle tone and posture.