Energy in a spherical capacitor

In summary, the space between two spherical shells kept at potentials V1 and V2, respectively, is filled with a dielectric medium. The electrostatic energy on the medium can be found by solving the Laplace equation and solving for the electric field.
carllacan

Homework Statement

The space between two spherical shells kept at potentials V1 and V2, respectively, is filled with a dielectric medium. Find the electrostatic energy on the medium.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to get the energy if I am given the electric field or the charge and potential, but here I am only given two boundary conditions. I can think ot two approaches:
try to obtain the potential field everywhere using the Laplace equation and the boundary conditions, and then obtain the electric field from it, or
try to obtain the charge of the spheres by assuming uniformly distributed charge on the spheres and then asking how much charge would be needed to have potentials V1 and V2.

Which one should I use, if any?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know how to find the capacitance?

The capacitance is Q/V, but I have neither of those terms.

You can see 'introduction to electrodynamic' by Griffits. It is explain how to calculate with example.

There are a few examples in Griffiths, but I'm not 100% sure how they relate to this problem. Is any of the approaches I mentioned appropriate?

The capacitance is Q/V, but I have neither of those terms.
... the capacitance of a spherical capacitor can be calculated from it's geometry. Google for "spherical capacitor" to see what I mean, or you can derive the relationship in the usual way.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capsph.html

Oh, I see, I can find the quotient between Q and ΔV before knowing any of them.

The only thing that troubles me is that now I can calculate the energy between the spheres, but what about the energy on the outside? If the charge Q' in the outer sphere is not equal and opposite to the charge Q in the inner sphere there will be an electric field in the surroundings, and therefore there will be energy depending on the charge Q', which I am not given.

Last edited:
You are only asked to find the electrostatic energy stored in the dielectric medium between the shells.

For finding capacitance Q/V, Q is absolute magnitude of the smallest charge on the spherical shells(may be |q1| >,< or = |q2|), And V is difference potential between them.

oh, I forget. V is only due to equal charges(absolute magnitude) on spherical shells. For calculating V we must remove additional charge.

@Abbas: In the above problem, the shells are maintained at a particular potential ... as opposed to the usual case where one shell is charged off the other one.
Thus ##\Delta V = |V_2-V_1|##.

C in C=Q/V is constant and it is independent of Q and V. it only depens on the material and shape of the capacitor.

What is a spherical capacitor?

A spherical capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two concentric spherical conductors, usually separated by a dielectric material. It is used to store and release electrical energy.

How does energy storage work in a spherical capacitor?

Energy storage in a spherical capacitor occurs through the accumulation of electric charge on the surface of the inner and outer spherical conductors. When a voltage is applied, electrons are attracted to the outer conductor and repelled from the inner conductor, creating a potential difference and storing energy.

What factors affect the amount of energy stored in a spherical capacitor?

The amount of energy stored in a spherical capacitor is affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, which is determined by the distance between the two conductors, the surface area of the conductors, and the permittivity of the dielectric material between them. The voltage applied also plays a role in determining the energy stored.

How is energy released from a spherical capacitor?

Energy is released from a spherical capacitor when the circuit is closed and the stored electrical charge is allowed to flow from one conductor to the other. This flow of electrons creates an electric current, which can be used to power devices.

What are some practical applications of spherical capacitors?

Spherical capacitors have various practical applications, including energy storage in electrical and electronic devices, such as cameras and computers, as well as in high voltage power supplies and particle accelerators. They are also used in medical equipment, such as X-ray machines, and in radio and television broadcasting systems.