Energy in AC Circuits: No Frequency Involved

In summary, the energy of a photon is determined by its frequency and Planck's constant. However, in AC electrical circuits, the energy formula does not include frequency because electromagnetic waves do not propagate in these circuits. Instead, power is given by the Poynting vector, and energy is stored in capacitors and inductors. The electromagnetic radiation from the wires of the circuit can cause interference and energy loss, requiring a continuous supply of energy to maintain oscillation.
p75213
Given that:

E = hν where

E = energy of a photon
h = Planck's constant = 6.626 x 10-34 J·s
ν = frequency

Why is it that the energy (electromagnetic waves) in AC electrical circuits does not include frequency as part of the formula? eg.
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
P = \frac{1}{2}{V_m}{I_m}\varphi \to \omega = \int_0^t {P\,dt} \\
{\rm{Where: }} \\
{\rm{P = average power, }} \\
{V_m} = {\rm{voltage magnitude, }} \\
{I_m}{\rm{ = current magnitude, }} \\
\omega = {\rm{energy, }} \\
\varphi {\rm{ = power factor(}}\cos ({\theta _v} - {\theta _i})) \\
\end{array}[/tex]

The same thing applies to the formula for the energy contained in an inductor:
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\omega = \frac{1}{2}L{i^2} \\
{\rm{Where:}} \\
L{\rm{ = inductance}} \\
i{\rm{ = current}} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Electromagnetic waves do not propagate in an AC electrical circuit. Alternating Current flows in an electrical circuit. They are not the same, so they are not described by the same formulas.

That's what I thought until I read this: http://amasci.com/miscon/whatis2.html#2
The guy says he is an electrical engineer so I figured he must know what he is talking about.
Seems to make sense as the electrons in AC electricity are simply vibrating inplace. As I understand it a vibrating electron will set up an electromagnetic wave.

Last edited:
Energy (Joules) can be stored in electrical circuits only in capacitors (½CV2) and inductors (½LI2). Power (watts) in electrical circuits is given by V·I (real and reactive). Power (watts per m2) in an electromagnetic wave (including waveguides) is given by the Poynting vector [itex] \overrightarrow{S} = \overrightarrow{E}\times \overrightarrow{H} [/itex] (vector cross product).

p75213...I think your reference is referring to electromagnetic radiation (radio waves usually) from the wires of the circuit.
Whenever AC flows through a wire there is electromagnetic radiation from the wire. It is this radiation that can cause 'interference' in radio reception etc.
This is an energy loss from the circuit and shows that energy must be continuously supplied to maintain oscillation.

Related to Energy in AC Circuits: No Frequency Involved

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that uses alternating current (AC) to transfer energy. This means that the current constantly changes direction, unlike in a direct current (DC) circuit where the current flows in one direction.

2. How is energy transferred in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, energy is transferred through the use of alternating voltage and current. The voltage causes the current to flow back and forth, which in turn transfers energy to the components in the circuit.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

The main difference between AC and DC circuits is the direction of the current. In AC circuits, the current constantly changes direction, while in DC circuits, the current flows in one direction. Additionally, AC circuits use transformers to adjust the voltage, while DC circuits use batteries.

4. How does frequency affect AC circuits?

Frequency is a measure of how many cycles of alternating current occur per second. In AC circuits, frequency determines the rate at which the voltage and current alternate. A higher frequency means a faster rate of alternating current, which can affect the behavior of components in the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of AC circuits?

AC circuits are used in a wide range of applications, including power distribution systems, electric motors, household appliances, and electronics. They are also used in telecommunications, audio and video equipment, and lighting systems.