Energy in scuba tank moving a car?

In summary, a filled scuba tank contains over a million joules of energy and can be used to move or stop a sizable car multiple times. However, the exact distance the car will be pushed depends on the speed at which the tank is vented. A teaspoon of gasoline contains about 1000KJ of energy and a 0.35kwh scuba tank could power a small engine for about 15 seconds. This amount of energy could also power a car for approximately 3 minutes.
rc777
I've watched the videos and read a lot of posts on here about compressed air storage.

I read that a filled scuba tank has over a million joules?

I'm trying to visualize what happens if you suddenly release all the energy from that tank,
it should be enough to move or brake/stop a sizable car?

example I had read was a 1200 kg car going 20 m/s needs 24000 Newtons to stop?

so, a scuba tank has enough energy stored to stop this 1200kg multiple times ?

if that same 1200kg car is at rest, and you wanted to vent the tank to try to move it
if you vent it slow enough, you won't overcome resistance and will empty the tank without
it even moving?

If I vent the tank in an instant how do I calculate how far the vehicle is pushed?

If I vent slower, say 5 or 20 seconds, how do I calculate how that effects the distance a vehicle is pushed.

Thanks for any explanations, I've been reading and not really understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
A 12l scuba cylinder at 200bar (3500psi) stores about 1200KJ (0.35KWH) if the air is released to 1atm.

Ok, 1200kj or 1.2 million joules. Can you help me with what some real world task might help me

visualize how much that is?

... for example how far it could push a car or other object, etc if expended all at once?

thanks!

A teaspoon of gasoline contains about 1000KJ of energy.

A small 100HP engine is 75KW, so a 0.35kwh tank would run it for about 15seconds (assumign 100% efficency)

Well, a horsepower is 746 Watts, so a car using 10 horsepower (fairly typical for cruising) is using about 7kW. So the 0.35 kWh in your scuba tank would drive a car for .05 hours, or 3 minutes.

1. How can the energy in a scuba tank be used to move a car?

The energy in a scuba tank can be used to move a car by converting it into mechanical energy through the use of a pneumatic system. The high-pressure air from the tank is released into the system, which then powers the movement of the car's pistons, propelling it forward.

2. How much energy is typically stored in a scuba tank?

A standard scuba tank can hold around 80 cubic feet of compressed air at a pressure of 3000 psi, which is equivalent to approximately 2,400 kilojoules of energy. This amount of energy is enough to move a car a short distance, but not enough for long-term use.

3. Are there any safety concerns with using scuba tank energy to move a car?

Yes, there are safety concerns when using scuba tank energy to move a car. The high-pressure air in the tank can be dangerous if not handled properly, and it is important to follow all safety protocols and regulations when using it for this purpose.

4. Can the energy in a scuba tank be used to power other types of vehicles?

Yes, the energy in a scuba tank can be used to power other types of vehicles, such as bicycles, boats, and even small planes. However, the amount of energy and the type of system needed may vary depending on the specific vehicle.

5. Are there any alternative ways to use the energy in a scuba tank besides moving a car?

Yes, the energy in a scuba tank can also be used for other purposes, such as inflating tires, powering tools, and filling air mattresses. It can also be used as a backup source of air for breathing in emergency situations. However, it is important to always follow proper safety precautions when using scuba tank energy for any purpose.