Energy loss, stopping power equation,

In summary, the student is trying to estimate the energy loss of electrons before they reach a detector, but is unsure how to do it. He thinks he is supposed to integrate the stopping power function over the total distance, but can't solve the equation. He is grateful for any help he can get.
m3h

Homework Statement

I need to estimate the energy loss of electrons before they reach a detector, but I am unsure how to do it. I think I am supposed to integrate the stopping power function over the total distance but I can't solve the equation...

Homework Equations

Stopping power=-dE/dx

Energy loss=∫-dE/dx (I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the solution - e*x?

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
m3h said:
Stopping power=-dE/dx

Energy loss=∫-dE/dx (I think)
That is the stopping power, but for the energy loss, you've forgotten to write dx, to show what variable you are integrating over. And about the solution, the stopping power will depend on the energy of the particle, and the medium its going through, etc, so you'll need to use a particular model to find a solution. This might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopping_power_(particle_radiation )

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. that's the article I first looked at, specifically "The deposited energy can be obtained by integrating the stopping power over the entire path length of the ion when it moves in the solid."

When you said I needed to add dx, did you mean I should write ∫(dE/dx)dx? Doesn't dx disappear then?

Shouldn't it be enough to solve the diff equation above?

m3h said:
When you said I needed to add dx, did you mean I should write ∫(dE/dx)dx? Doesn't dx disappear then?

Shouldn't it be enough to solve the diff equation above?

Yes, you should write it like that. The idea is that you know something about dE/dx, so then you integrate it to get the change in energy.
And you're right that you could make the dx disappear, which just tells us that the change in energy is equal to the change in energy (as we would expect).

Ok, thank you. I think I know what to do now.

Thanks for the help!

yep, glad if I've helped a bit

Related to Energy loss, stopping power equation,

What is energy loss?

Energy loss is the decrease in energy of a particle as it travels through a material. This can be caused by interactions with the atoms or molecules in the material.

What is the stopping power equation?

The stopping power equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the amount of energy lost by a particle as it travels through a material. It takes into account the particle's initial energy, the density of the material, and the cross-section for energy loss.

How is stopping power measured?

Stopping power is typically measured in units of energy per unit distance, such as MeV/cm or keV/μm. This measurement is obtained through experiments using particle accelerators or by simulating the interactions between particles and materials using computer models.

What factors affect energy loss and stopping power?

The amount of energy lost by a particle and its stopping power can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type and energy of the particle, the density and composition of the material it is traveling through, and the distance the particle travels.

Why is understanding energy loss and stopping power important?

Understanding energy loss and stopping power is crucial in many fields of science, such as nuclear physics, medical physics, and materials science. It allows us to accurately predict the behavior of particles and their interactions with different materials, which is essential for developing new technologies and improving existing ones.