Energy of a block on a frictionless ramp

In summary, the problem involves a 5.0 kg block sliding down a frictionless ramp at a 30.0 degree angle to the horizontal. A spring with k = 3000.0 N/m is located 1.3 m away from the block. The goal is to find the maximum compression of the spring. The method suggested by the "solutions guide" involves using the equations GPE=mgh and SPR=.5kx^2. However, setting h = 1.3 + x is incorrect. The correct approach involves finding the change in vertical height of the block, which depends on how far it travels along the ramp. Further calculations are needed to find the correct value for x.
geena_booboo

Homework Statement

A 5.0 kg block is placed near the top of a frictionless ramp, which makes an angle of 30.0o degrees to the horizontal. A distance d = 1.3 m away from the block is an unstretched spring with k = 3000.0 N/m. The block slides down the ramp and compresses the spring. Find the maximum compression of the spring.

Homework Equations

The "solutions guide" is wanting me to use GPE=mgh (and I can substitute (1.3 + x) for h) and SPR=.5kx^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried setting them equal to each other, but then I get x as .137 and they say that's not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
geena_booboo said:
GPE=mgh (and I can substitute (1.3 + x) for h)

Hello, welcome to PF!

Is h a distance measured along the surface of the inclined plane?

Welcome to PF geena_booboo

geena_booboo said:

Homework Statement

A 5.0 kg block is placed near the top of a frictionless ramp, which makes an angle of 30.0o degrees to the horizontal. A distance d = 1.3 m away from the block is an unstretched spring with k = 3000.0 N/m. The block slides down the ramp and compresses the spring. Find the maximum compression of the spring.

Homework Equations

The "solutions guide" is wanting me to use GPE=mgh (and I can substitute (1.3 + x) for h) and SPR=.5kx^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried setting them equal to each other, but then I get x as .137 and they say that's not correct.

Setting h = 1.3 + x is definitely not correct. You need to figure out change in vertical height of the block. This depends on how far along the ramp the block travels. It's not totally clear from the problem statement, but I think that the block is 1.3 m away from the spring along the ramp. If so, you need to use trigonometry to find the vertical height based on the distance that it travels along the ramp .

I appologize, I meant that h=(1.3+x)sin(30).

geena_booboo said:
I appologize, I meant that h=(1.3+x)sin(30).

Okay, well it looks like calcuation error. Can you post your steps?

Related to Energy of a block on a frictionless ramp

1. What is the energy of a block on a frictionless ramp?

The energy of a block on a frictionless ramp is the sum of its potential energy and kinetic energy. Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion.

2. How is the energy of a block on a frictionless ramp calculated?

The energy of a block on a frictionless ramp can be calculated using the equation E = mgh, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the ramp.

3. Why is friction not considered in the energy calculation for a block on a frictionless ramp?

Friction is not considered in the energy calculation for a block on a frictionless ramp because on a frictionless surface, there is no force acting in the opposite direction of motion, therefore no work is done to overcome friction and no energy is lost.

4. How does the height of the ramp affect the energy of the block?

The height of the ramp directly affects the potential energy of the block. As the height increases, the potential energy also increases. This is because the higher the ramp, the greater the distance the block must travel, and therefore the more potential energy it has.

5. What happens to the energy of the block as it moves down the ramp?

As the block moves down the ramp, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases. This is because as the block moves down the ramp, it is converting its potential energy into kinetic energy due to the force of gravity acting on it. At the bottom of the ramp, all the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.