Energy of a configuration of two concentric spherical charged shells

In summary: Since the scalar product ##\mathbf{E_1} \cdot \mathbf{E_2}## is negative in the outer region, the integral ##\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}\int \mathbf{E_1} \cdot \mathbf{E_2} \, d\tau## just adds up a bunch of negative quantities. So, the result has to be negative. In a sense, you have "double-counted" the effect of the opposite signs of the charges. The opposite directions of ##\mathbf{E_1}## and ##\mathbf{E_2}## is due to the opposite
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
What is the energy configuration of a system consisting of two concentric shell?
The internal shell has radius a and charge q
The external shell radius b and charge -q
Relevant Equations
All below
I found the total work done is:
##\frac{q^2}{8\pi \varepsilon a} + \frac{q^2}{8\pi \varepsilon b} + \epsilon \int E_{1}.E_{2} dv##
The third is a little troublesome i think, but i separated into threeregions, inside the "inside" shell, between both shell and outside both.
Inside => ##E_{1}.E_{2} = 0##
Between => ##E_{1}.0 = 0##
Outside => ##\epsilon \frac{(4\pi (kq)^2)}{b}## = ##\frac{(q)^2}{4\pi \epsilon b}##
so

##\frac{3q^2}{8\pi \epsilon b} + \frac{q^2}{8\pi \varepsilon a}##

is this right?

Attachments

• 1600212064236.png
    1600212064236.png
    581 bytes · Views: 90
Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
I found the total work done is:
##\frac{q^2}{8\pi \varepsilon a} + \frac{q^2}{8\pi \varepsilon b} + \epsilon \int E_{1}.E_{2} dv##
Can you state the starting point from which you derived the above expressions?
The third is a little troublesome i think, but i separated into threeregions, inside the "inside" shell, between both shell and outside both.
Inside => ##E_{1}.E_{2} = 0##
Between => ##E_{1}.0 = 0##
Outside => ##\epsilon \frac{(4\pi (kq)^2)}{b}## = ##\frac{(q)^2}{4\pi \epsilon b}##
For the outside region did you take into account the directions of the two fields? Do they point in the same direction or in opposite directions in this region?

TSny said:
Can you state the starting point from which you derived the above expressions?
For the outside region did you take into account the directions of the two fields? Do they point in the same direction or in opposite directions in this region?
1600214824536.png
THis is where i started.

About the outside, yes, i take. Their product would be negative, but one charge is positive and the other negative, so we have negative again. Integrate r^(-2) would lead us to another negative sign, but we need to integrate from b to infinity, so this will let we with other negative, so we have
---- = +

I think it's easier to evaluate ##\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}\int \mathbf E \cdot \mathbf E d\tau## using the total field ##\mathbf E## rather than break it up as ##\mathbf E = \mathbf {E_1} + \mathbf{E_2}##.

However, it's certainly ok to split the field as you did.
LCSphysicist said:
About the outside, yes, i take. Their product would be negative, but one charge is positive and the other negative, so we have negative again. Integrate r^(-2) would lead us to another negative sign, but we need to integrate from b to infinity, so this will let we with other negative, so we have
---- = +
Since the scalar product ##\mathbf{E_1} \cdot \mathbf{E_2}## is negative in the outer region, the integral ##\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}\int \mathbf{E_1} \cdot \mathbf{E_2} \, d\tau## just adds up a bunch of negative quantities. So, the result has to be negative. In a sense, you have "double-counted" the effect of the opposite signs of the charges. The opposite directions of ##\mathbf{E_1}## and ##\mathbf{E_2}## is due to the opposite signs of the charges. So, the negative scalar product of the fields already accounts for the opposite signs of the charges.

• Informative
Likes LCSphysicist

1. What is the definition of "Energy of a configuration of two concentric spherical charged shells"?

The energy of a configuration of two concentric spherical charged shells refers to the amount of work required to assemble the two shells at a specific distance from each other, taking into account the electrostatic potential energy between them.

2. How is the energy of a configuration of two concentric spherical charged shells calculated?

The energy of a configuration of two concentric spherical charged shells can be calculated using the formula E = (Q1*Q2)/(4πεr), where Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the two shells, ε is the permittivity of the medium between the shells, and r is the distance between the two shells.

3. What factors affect the energy of a configuration of two concentric spherical charged shells?

The energy of a configuration of two concentric spherical charged shells is affected by the charges of the two shells, the distance between them, and the permittivity of the medium between them. It is also influenced by the presence of any other charged objects in the vicinity.

4. How does the energy of a configuration of two concentric spherical charged shells change as the distance between them is varied?

The energy of a configuration of two concentric spherical charged shells follows an inverse relationship with the distance between them. As the distance increases, the energy decreases and vice versa. This is because the electrostatic potential energy between the shells decreases with increasing distance.

5. What is the significance of studying the energy of a configuration of two concentric spherical charged shells?

Understanding the energy of a configuration of two concentric spherical charged shells is important in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It helps in predicting the behavior of charged particles and can be applied in designing electrical systems and devices.