Kinetic/Potential Energy - What am I doing wrong?

• Thread starter andyg007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: Moon, or Sun, or any massive body.In summary, when calculating potential energy and kinetic energy using the equations PE = mgh and KE = 1/2mv2, it is important to use the correct values for mass, height, and velocity. It is also helpful to use the SUVAT equations and algebraic symbols to ensure consistency in the calculations.
andyg007

Homework Statement

What am I doing wrong here?

Given the following two formulas for Kinectic Energy (KE) and Potential Energy (PE):

PE = mgh
KE = 1/2mv2

If a 10KG weight was lifted 10 meters above sea level - I calculate its PE as:

PE = 10kg x 9.81m/s x 10meters = 981 Joules

If I let the ball drop I calculate its kinetic energy as (assuming nothing lost due to friction etc):

KE = 1/2 x 10KG x 9.81m/s x 9.81m/s = 481 Joules

However, in this case, I understood the KE should equal the PE?

Which calculation have I got wrong?

Homework Equations

PE = mgh
KE = 1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

PE = 10kg x 9.81m/s x 10meters = 981 Joules

KE = 1/2 x 10KG x 9.81m/s x 9.81m/s = 481 Joules

Physics news on Phys.org
andyg007 said:
PE = 10kg x 9.81m/s x 10meters
I presume you mean 9.81 m/s2.
andyg007 said:
KE = 1/2 x 10KG x 9.81m/s x 9.81m/s
What makes you think the final velocity is 9.81m/s?

I'm thinking this is the amount of time it takes to falls in 1 second and therefore the speed.

Take a look at the equations of motion..eg...

V^2=U^2 + 2aS

andyg007 said:
I'm thinking this is the amount of time it takes to fall in 1 second and therefore the speed.
You just said that 9.8m/s is the amount of time it takes to fall in 1 second.
Surely the amount of time it takes to fall in 1 second is... 1 second?

Perhaps you mean that it falls 9.8m in the first second, so the average speed over that time is 9.8m/s ... but that is not the case either.
It actually falls 4.9m in the first second.

Have you heard of the kinematic equations (sometimes called suvat equations) and velocity-time diagrams?
Once you have those, you can use the correct one (CWatters tells you which one above) and then do the kinetic energy calculation symbolically.

Thanks so much Cwatters/Simon - a great help :-)

-- SUVAT Equations --

I know the following:

(s) displacement = 10 meters
(g) gravity = 9.81 m/s
(t) time = 1 second
(u) initial velocity = 0

I can therefore use:

v2 = u2 + 2as
v2 = 0x2 + 2 x 9.81m/s x 10 meters = 196.2
v2 = 196.2
v = 14.007
----

Back to my original question:

KE = 1/2mv2

KE = 1/2 x 10KG x 14.007 x 14.007 = 981 Joules

This ties up with the PE

:-)

andyg007 said:
I know the following:

(s) displacement = 10 meters
(g) gravity = 9.81 m/s
(t) time = 1 second
(u) initial velocity = 0

In the end you didn't use "time = 1 second" to get the right answer but you might like to check if it really does take 1 second to fall 10m.

Perhaps by using another SUVAT equation... v = u+at and solving for t.

You did it numerically and showed that it was consistent for one example. maybe that was just a coincidence and you'd get a different result from chosing different numbers? This is why it is better to do the algebra using symbols ...

potential energy lost falling h is ##U=mgh## (close to the surface of a spherical mass with gravitational acceleration at the surface of g)
kinetic energy gained is ##K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2##

from suvat equations, ##v^2=2as## ... in this case, ##a=g## and ##s=h## so:
##K=\frac{1}{2}m(2gh) = mgh = U##

... the advantage of doing it this way is that it now does not matter which numbers you pick, the two equations (related by the laws of motion) are always going to be consistent in this way. notice that it does not even have to be the Earth causing the gravity.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

2. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object has due to its position or state. It can be stored in an object's gravitational, electric, or elastic field.

3. How are kinetic and potential energy related?

Kinetic and potential energy are forms of mechanical energy and are often interconverted. As an object gains kinetic energy, it loses potential energy and vice versa.

4. What factors affect an object's kinetic and potential energy?

The mass and velocity of an object affect its kinetic energy, while its position and the strength of the field it is in affect its potential energy. Other factors such as air resistance can also impact an object's kinetic energy.

5. How can I calculate an object's kinetic and potential energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. The formula for calculating potential energy depends on the type of potential energy, but in general, it is PE = m * g * h, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance the object is from the ground.