Energy of particle when under a central force

In summary, the potential energy of the particle is calculated as follows: the gravitational force acting between Earth and the satellite is taken into account, and the term is multiplied by the velocity v and the gravitational mass m. The kinetic energy is then calculated as the product of the velocity and the gravitational mass.
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
A particle moves in a circular orbit about the origin under action of a central force ##\vec F = -k\hat r/r^3##. If the potential energy is zero at infinity, what is the total energy of the particle?
Relevant Equations
##E_{total} = E_{kinetic} + E_{potential}##
I calculated the potential energy of the particle as follows :

IMG_20200109_222624.jpg

But I am not sure how to calculate the kinetic energy. I know that if it was a satellite orbiting a Earth, I could use ##\frac {GMm} {r^2} = \frac {mv^2} {r}## to calculate the velocity v and they I could calculate kinetic energy as ##E_{kinetic} = \frac {mv^2} 2##.
But how do I calculate the velocity for the given force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Saptarshi Sarkar said:
I know that if it was a satellite orbiting a Earth, I could use ##\frac {GMm} {r^2} = \frac {mv^2} {r}## to calculate the velocity v and they I could calculate kinetic energy as ##E_{kinetic} = \frac {mv^2} 2##.

Where did the left-hand side come from in the case of the gravitational force?

• Informative
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Orodruin said:
Where did the left-hand side come from in the case of the gravitational force?

The term is the gravitational force acting between Earth and the satellite.

I put ##\frac k {r^3} = \frac {mv^2} {r}## and found ##E_{kinetic} = \frac k {2r^2}##. Is this correct? If this is correct, that would mean the total energy of the particle is 0. Is this possible?

Saptarshi Sarkar said:
If this is correct, that would mean the total energy of the particle is 0. Is this possible?
Sure. Why not?

vela said:
Sure. Why not?

Won't that mean that the particle is not bound anymore?

It's right on the edge. Give it a little more energy, and it will go off to infinity. Take a little away, and it'll spiral in.

• Informative
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Hmm. A circular orbit should have a negative total mechanical energy, as should any elliptical orbit. The on-the-edge orbit is that of a parabola where the total mechanical energy is zero. Hyperbolic orbits have positive values for total mechanical energy.

I think there must be a sign issue with your PE. If you look at some common expressions for the specific mechanical energy for an orbit:

##\xi = \frac{v^2}{2} - \frac{\mu}{r}##
##\xi = - \frac{\mu}{2a}##
##\xi = \mu \frac{\left(e^2 - 1 \right)}{2p}##

where ##a## is the semi major axis, ##e## is the eccentricity, and ##p## is the semi latus rectum.

You should be able to tell from these expressions that bound orbits will have negative mechanical energy.

Last edited:
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
gneill said:
Hmm. A circular orbit should have a negative total mechanical energy, as should any elliptical orbit. The on-the-edge orbit is that of a parabola where the total mechanical energy is zero. Hyperbolic orbits have positive values for total mechanical energy.
For an inverse-square force. The problem the OP is dealing with is an inverse-cube force.

vela said:
For an inverse-square force. The problem the OP is dealing with is an inverse-cube force.
I thought the cube was an error, since in the original problem statement there was a vector r in the numerator. The "extra" r in the denominator accounts for forming a unit vector: ##\frac{\vec{r}}{|r|}##

The original problem statement has a unit vector in the numerator.

vela said:
The original problem statement has a unit vector in the numerator.
Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Saptarshi Sarkar said:
For future reference, with such problems you can get the answer directly by considering the virial theorem.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar and etotheipi

1. What is the definition of energy of a particle when under a central force?

The energy of a particle when under a central force refers to the total energy (kinetic + potential) of a particle that is being acted upon by a force that is directed towards a fixed point (the center) in space.

2. How is the energy of a particle affected by a central force?

The energy of a particle under a central force is conserved, meaning that it remains constant throughout the particle's motion. However, the energy can be converted between kinetic and potential energy as the particle moves towards or away from the center.

3. What is the relationship between the energy of a particle and its distance from the center of the central force?

The energy of a particle is inversely proportional to its distance from the center of the central force. As the particle moves further away from the center, its potential energy increases and its kinetic energy decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does the magnitude of the central force affect the energy of a particle?

The magnitude of the central force does not affect the energy of a particle. As long as the force remains directed towards the center, the total energy of the particle will remain constant.

5. Can the energy of a particle under a central force ever become negative?

No, the energy of a particle under a central force can never be negative. This is because both kinetic and potential energy are always positive values, and the sum of these energies will always be positive.