Total energy of a mass hanging on a spring

In summary: Yes, that is precisely what I said in post #6, and also what appears to have gone wrong in #1.OK, I see your point. Thanks.
arhzz
Homework Statement
An object with an mass of m = 1 kg hangs on a vertical spring (k = 100 N / m) and vibrates with an amplitude of 0.05 m.

a) What is the maximum potential energy of this oscillator and how large is the total energy?
Relevant Equations
Et = Ep +Ek
Hello!

So here what I did is first calculated the potential energy; $$ E_p = \frac{1}{2} * k * x^2 $$ E_p should be = 0,125 J Now i tried calculating the kinetic energy, I used this formula $$ E_k = \frac{mv^2}{2} $$ to get v I used this formula $$v = x *\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} $$ v should be = 0,5 m/s. If we plug that back in the formula for kinetic energy get 0,125 J as well. Now the total energy should be the sum of these two which means ## E_t = 0,25 J ## But this was graded wrong by my teacher,the right answer is 0,125 J. But I don't understand how? I'd assume we have no kinetic energy but since the it is vibrating (moving) kinetic energy should exist. What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
arhzz said:
$$v = x *\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} $$
I think this is not correct.
for a a particle performing SHM $$v(x) = \omega(A^2 - x^2)^{1/2}$$
where ##\omega = (k/m)^{1/2}##(the agular frequency) and ##A## is the maximum displacement of the body from its mean position.

Hamiltonian299792458 said:
I think this is not correct.
for a a particle performing SHM $$v(x) = \omega(A^2 - x^2)^{1/2}$$
where ##\omega = (k/m)^{1/2}##(the agular frequency) and ##A## is the maximum displacement of the body from its mean position.
Hmm okay that would actually make sence,that my calculation of Ek was wrong.Although I have never seen this formula before,I'll give it a shot. And could you please tell me what SHM means?

arhzz said:
a) What is the maximum potential energy of this oscillator and how large is the total energy?
Relevant Equations:: Et = Ep +Ek

I'd assume we have no kinetic energy but since the it is vibrating (moving) kinetic energy should exist. What am I missing here?
If you want the use the maximum potential energy and the maximum kinetic energy to calculate the total energy, you should make sure the maxima are reached at the same time.

You have worked out the maximum ke and the maximum ke. However, you can't simply add them to find the total energy, because when the ke is max, the pe is minimum and vice versa.

Max v and Max ke at equlibrium position
Max pe at max dispacement, where v and hence ke are instantaneously zero.

willem2 said:
If you want the use the maximum potential energy and the maximum kinetic energy to calculate the total energy, you should make sure the maxima are reached at the same time.
You don't really mean this, do you? How can the maxima be reached at the same time?

kuruman said:
You don't really mean this, do you? How can the maxima be reached at the same time?
I said, that the maxima had to occur at the same time IF you wanted to add the maximum potential and kinetic energy

willem2 said:
I said, that the maxima had to occur at the same time IF you wanted to add the maximum potential and kinetic energy
That's not what you said in post #6. In any case, the maxima never occur at the same time so why even bother mentioning the addition of the two maxima? I am trying to see what your point is.

kuruman said:
That's not what you said in post #6. In any case, the maxima never occur at the same time so why even bother mentioning the addition of the two maxima? I am trying to see what your point is.
Yes, that is precisely what I said in post #6, and also what appears to have gone wrong in #1.

Likes Delta2
OK, I see your point. Thanks.

Likes Delta2

1. What is the formula for calculating the total energy of a mass hanging on a spring?

The total energy of a mass hanging on a spring can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2kx², where E is the total energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

2. How does the potential energy of a mass hanging on a spring change with displacement?

The potential energy of a mass hanging on a spring is directly proportional to the square of its displacement from its equilibrium position. This means that as the displacement increases, the potential energy also increases.

3. What happens to the kinetic energy of a mass hanging on a spring as it oscillates?

As a mass hanging on a spring oscillates, its kinetic energy changes constantly. At the equilibrium position, the kinetic energy is at its maximum, while at the maximum displacement, the kinetic energy is at its minimum. This is because the kinetic energy is converted into potential energy and vice versa as the mass oscillates.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the total energy of a mass hanging on a spring?

The mass of the object does not affect the total energy of a mass hanging on a spring. The total energy is solely determined by the spring constant and the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

5. Can the total energy of a mass hanging on a spring ever be negative?

No, the total energy of a mass hanging on a spring can never be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the energy stored in the spring due to the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.