Energy problem with 2 objects (a mass flying vertically off of a ramp)

In summary, the small object loses some of its horizontal momentum with respect to the ground when it exits the ramp.
PedroPicapiedra
20180605_142542.jpg

Homework Statement

Consider a platform (mass: M) which horizontal surface AB s smoothly joined to vertical surface CD as shown in the figure below. Initially, the platform is fixed in place on a horizontal floor. A small object (mass: m) is placed on AB and given an initial speed of v in the horizontal direction so that it travels along CD, flies vertically off the platform, and reaches a maximum height of H from AB. Friction between the platform and the object is negligible. Next, the platform is kept at rest on the horizontal floor, but is no longer fixed in place. Again, the same object is placed on AB and given the same initial speed of v. The object travels along CD, floes off platform, and reaches a maximum height of from AB. Friction between the platform and the floor is negligible.

What is h/H?
20180605_142542.jpg

Homework Equations

K1 + U1 = K2 + U2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got H form
½ mv^2 + 0 = 0 + mgH
H = v1^2/2g
However I'm not sure on how to get h.
I do know that some of the kinetic energy is transferred to the platform and also momentum should be conserved.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180605_142542.jpg
    20180605_142542.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 952
Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is conserved in the second case, where the platform is free to move. You use momentum conservation to get the velocity of the platform after the small object has interacted with it. All the momentum of the small object is transferred to the platform. This gives you the velocity, and kinetic energy, of the platform. The remaining energy goes into the upward motion of the small object.

Gene Naden said:
All the momentum of the small object is transferred to the platform.
Careful. For the second case, the final horizontal component of velocity of the small object is not zero.

PedroPicapiedra said:
View attachment 227000
I do know that some of the kinetic energy is transferred to the platform and also momentum should be conserved.
What do you learn from conservation of momentum?

How does the final horizontal component of velocity of the small object compare to the final velocity of the ramp? Hint: Section CD is vertical.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Another approach to the problem is to go to the center of mass reference frame. EDIT: What I mean here is to choose an inertial frame such that the horizontal component of velocity of the center of mass remains zero.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Careful. For the second case, the final horizontal component of velocity of the small object is not zero.

I see that the platform curve is vertical where the small object exits. That is why I said all the (horizontal) momentum is transferred to the platform. Was I mistaken?

Gene Naden said:
I see that the platform curve is vertical where the small object exits. That is why I said all the (horizontal) momentum is transferred to the platform. Was I mistaken?
When the small object leaves the ramp at point D, it is moving vertically with respect to the ramp but not with respect to the ground. So, the small object does not lose all of its horizontal momentum with respect to the ground.

What I must to know to resolve this exercise? Thanks

eyespy said:
What I must to know to resolve this exercise? Thanks
Please post an attempt, per forum rules.

What is the energy problem with 2 objects?

The energy problem with 2 objects refers to the calculation of the potential and kinetic energy involved when one object, such as a mass, is launched vertically off of a ramp.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. In the case of a mass flying off of a ramp, it is the energy stored in the mass when it is at the top of the ramp and has not yet started moving.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of a mass flying off of a ramp, it is the energy that the mass gains as it moves down the ramp and into the air.

How do you calculate the potential energy of an object?

The potential energy of an object is calculated by multiplying its mass by the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s^2) and its height above the ground. This can be represented by the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the height.

How do you calculate the kinetic energy of an object?

The kinetic energy of an object is calculated by multiplying its mass by half of its velocity squared. This can be represented by the equation KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity of the object.