Energy Received Physics of Sound question

In summary, the question asks for the amount of energy received in joules when a sound of intensity I = 10-6 W/m2 falls on a detector of area A = 7 x 10-5 m2 for 30 seconds. Using the equation I = 10-6 W/m2, the units m2, W/m2, and s can be combined to calculate the amount of energy received in joules.
annafagin
Homework Statement
A sound of intensity I = 10-6 W/m2 falls on a detector of area A = 7 x 10-5 m2. (This is about the size of an eardrum.)
If the sound continues for 30 s, what is the amount of energy received in joules?
Relevant Equations
I = 10-6 W/m2
I'm not sure! I'm really lost on this problem to be honest.

Physics news on Phys.org
annafagin said:
Homework Statement: A sound of intensity I = 10-6 W/m2 falls on a detector of area A = 7 x 10-5 m2. (This is about the size of an eardrum.)
If the sound continues for 30 s, what is the amount of energy received in joules?
Homework Equations: I = 10-6 W/m2

I'm not sure! I'm really lost on this problem to be honest.
Per forum rules, you need to show some attempt.
But the units are a big clue. How could you combine m2, W/m2 and s to get units of energy?

1. What is energy received in the physics of sound?

The energy received in the physics of sound refers to the amount of energy that is transferred to a medium (such as air) by a sound wave. This energy is measured in decibels (dB) and is related to the intensity and amplitude of the sound wave.

2. How is energy received in the physics of sound measured?

Energy received in the physics of sound is measured using a device called a sound level meter. This device measures the sound pressure level in decibels and can also be used to measure the frequency and duration of a sound wave.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy received in the physics of sound?

The amount of energy received in the physics of sound is affected by several factors, including the amplitude and frequency of the sound wave, the distance from the sound source, the medium through which the sound travels, and any obstacles or barriers that may absorb or reflect the sound wave.

4. How does energy received in the physics of sound impact our daily lives?

The energy received in the physics of sound plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It allows us to communicate and hear sound, helps us to detect potential dangers, and can have both positive and negative effects on our physical and mental well-being.

5. How can we control or manipulate the amount of energy received in the physics of sound?

There are several ways to control or manipulate the energy received in the physics of sound. This can be done by adjusting the source of the sound (such as turning down the volume on a speaker), using sound-absorbing materials to reduce the energy, or using sound-amplifying materials to increase the energy. Additionally, the use of sound barriers and other acoustic treatments can also help control and manipulate the energy received in the physics of sound.