Mass-energy conservation in nuclear reactions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving conservation of mass-energy, where the total mass of the products is greater than the total mass of the reactants. The person is trying to find the correct answer using the formula E=mc^2 and converting from Joules to eV, but their answer is incorrect. They are advised to show their work and consider the energy of the alpha-particle given in the question.
voreryar
Homework Statement
If the energy of the incident alpha-particle is 7.68 MeV, calculate the kinetic energy of the proton assuming it gets 17/18 of the available kinetic energy
Relevant Equations
E = mc^2
viber_image_2023-05-29_16-46-06-465.jpg

I found the total mass of the reactants and the products, found the change in mass, used E=mc^2 and changed my answer from Joules to eV, but my answer is wrong. I'm guessing I have to do something with the energy of the alpha-particle given in the question

The answer is supposed to be: 6.58 MeV

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you notice that the total mass of the products is greater than the total mass of the reactants? How do you account for this?

Can you show your work?

voreryar said:
I found the total mass of the reactants and the products, found the change in mass, used E=mc^2 and changed my answer from Joules to eV, but my answer is wrong.
Hi @voreryar. Welcome to PF.

You need to show your working so we can spot any mistakes you have made. But it sounds like you haven’t applied conservation of mass-energy correctly.

voreryar said:
I'm guessing I have to do something with the energy of the alpha-particle given in the question
Good guess!
Initial total rest mass ##=m_i##.
Final total rest mass ##= m_f##.
Initial total kinetic energy of all particles ##= K_i##.
Final total kinetic energy of all particles ##= K_f##.

What is the relationship between ##m_i, m_f, K_i## and ##K_f## in this problem?

What is mass-energy conservation in nuclear reactions?

Mass-energy conservation in nuclear reactions refers to the principle that states that the total mass and energy before and after a nuclear reaction must be equal. This means that the total mass and energy of the reactants must be equal to the total mass and energy of the products.

Why is mass-energy conservation important in nuclear reactions?

Mass-energy conservation is important in nuclear reactions because it helps to explain the behavior and outcomes of these reactions. It also allows scientists to accurately predict the products of a reaction and understand the fundamental laws of nature.

How is mass-energy conserved in nuclear reactions?

Mass-energy is conserved in nuclear reactions through the conversion of mass into energy and vice versa. This is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², which states that the energy (E) of an object is equal to its mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared.

What are some examples of mass-energy conservation in nuclear reactions?

One example of mass-energy conservation in nuclear reactions is the process of nuclear fusion, where two lighter nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy. Another example is nuclear fission, where a heavy nucleus splits into two lighter nuclei, also releasing energy.

Are there any exceptions to mass-energy conservation in nuclear reactions?

There are no known exceptions to mass-energy conservation in nuclear reactions. However, in some cases, it may appear that mass is not conserved due to the conversion of mass into energy, but in reality, the total mass and energy are still equal before and after the reaction.