Energy-saving project involving sensor

In summary: This pad would need to be attractive enough so as to not bother the person who uses the chair on a daily basis. It would need to be soft enough so that when the user leans back, it is not uncomfortable for them in any way. It should have some pattern on it that makes it easy to recognize by your sensor/camera -- maybe some kind of stylized logo for your company that is attractive and also has a definite pattern as part of it.BTW, how are you going to know to turn on the lights when a user enters a dark room or cubicle? If you use a camera to look for the pad/logo, but it's dark in the office, nothing will tell you when the user
SalfordPhysics
I have come up with a new idea for an energy saving project for my course (which has a novel element - they're not expected actual ideas to take off)

Having thought a few things over, I am now thinking of simply saving energy in office's, particularly where offices are divided up into sub-offices, each with their own lighting etc.

I wish to install a sensor on top of a computer monitor (or somewhere approximately thereabouts), and a receiving 'pad' on the back of a chair (the side you sit against so the pad and sensor are facing).
When a person sits on the chair i.e.; when the pad is blocked, the lights turn on.
When the chair is empty i.e.; when the pad is exposed, a timer is started.
After 30 seconds, the lights will start to dim.
After another 30 seconds (thats 1:00 from initially beginning the timer), the lights will be at their dimmest point.
I will also be proposing to use LED lighting to for their high efficiency, long lifetime and low cost.

I am particularly concerned about what combination for the sensor and the pad to use, since I want humans to effectively block this connection.
All help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
SalfordPhysics said:
I have come up with a new idea for an energy saving project for my course (which has a novel element - they're not expected actual ideas to take off)

Having thought a few things over, I am now thinking of simply saving energy in office's, particularly where offices are divided up into sub-offices, each with their own lighting etc.

I wish to install a sensor on top of a computer monitor (or somewhere approximately thereabouts), and a receiving 'pad' on the back of a chair (the side you sit against so the pad and sensor are facing).
When a person sits on the chair i.e.; when the pad is blocked, the lights turn on.
When the chair is empty i.e.; when the pad is exposed, a timer is started.
After 30 seconds, the lights will start to dim.
After another 30 seconds (thats 1:00 from initially beginning the timer), the lights will be at their dimmest point.
I will also be proposing to use LED lighting to for their high efficiency, long lifetime and low cost.

I am particularly concerned about what combination for the sensor and the pad to use, since I want humans to effectively block this connection.
All help is greatly appreciated.

Many office PCs/Monitors now have a video camera on them for teleconferencing. You could process that image to figure out if a person is sitting in the chair, or detect the pad that you mention.

berkeman said:
Many office PCs/Monitors now have a video camera on them for teleconferencing. You could process that image to figure out if a person is sitting in the chair, or detect the pad that you mention.

Thank you for this advice Berkeman, this has really given me a huge breakthrough.
If I were to stick with the idea of the pad, would I be better of sticking to a specific material or is the material of the pad arbitrary? I wonder this as to reduce any possible failure's in detection.

SalfordPhysics said:
Thank you for this advice Berkeman, this has really given me a huge breakthrough.
If I were to stick with the idea of the pad, would I be better of sticking to a specific material or is the material of the pad arbitrary? I wonder this as to reduce any possible failure's in detection.

This pad would need to be attractive enough so as to not bother the person who uses the chair on a daily basis. It would need to be soft enough so that when the user leans back, it is not uncomfortable for them in any way. It should have some pattern on it that makes it easy to recognize by your sensor/camera -- maybe some kind of stylized logo for your company that is attractive and also has a definite pattern as part of it.

BTW, how are you going to know to turn on the lights when a user enters a dark room or cubicle? If you use a camera to look for the pad/logo, but it's dark in the office, nothing will tell you when the user sits down and blocks the pad...

I do have one idea for solving that, but will let you think about it some to come up with your solution(s). :smile:

I am excited to hear about your energy-saving project involving sensors. It is great to see individuals taking initiative to come up with innovative ideas to reduce energy consumption. Your idea of using a sensor and receiving pad to control lighting in offices is a promising approach.

One important factor to consider in this project is the type of sensor and receiving pad to use. As you mentioned, the sensor should be able to detect humans effectively blocking the connection. In this case, I would suggest using a capacitive touch sensor, which can detect the presence of a human touch. This type of sensor is commonly used in touch screens and can easily be integrated into your project.

For the receiving pad, you may consider using a pressure-sensitive pad or a weight-sensitive switch. These types of pads can detect the weight of a person sitting on the chair and trigger the sensor accordingly. It is important to test and calibrate the sensitivity of the sensor and pad to ensure they are working accurately.

I also appreciate your consideration to use LED lighting in this project. LED lights are known for their high efficiency, long lifetime, and low cost, making them an ideal choice for energy-saving projects.

In addition to the technical aspects, I would also suggest considering the human factor in this project. It is important to educate and train individuals on how to use the sensor and pad effectively to maximize energy savings. You may also consider incorporating a feedback system to inform users about their energy consumption and encourage them to be more mindful of their energy usage.

Overall, your energy-saving project involving sensors has great potential and I am confident that with careful planning and execution, it can make a significant impact in reducing energy consumption in offices. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the purpose of a sensor in an energy-saving project?

The purpose of a sensor in an energy-saving project is to detect and measure changes in the environment or usage patterns, and then trigger an appropriate response to conserve energy. Sensors can also provide valuable data for analysis and optimization of energy usage.

2. How do sensors help to save energy?

Sensors help to save energy by automatically adjusting settings or turning off devices when they are not in use, based on real-time data. For example, a motion sensor can turn off lights in a room when no one is present, or a temperature sensor can adjust the thermostat to conserve energy when a room is not occupied.

3. What types of sensors are commonly used in energy-saving projects?

There are many different types of sensors that can be used in energy-saving projects, such as motion sensors, light sensors, temperature sensors, occupancy sensors, and humidity sensors. The type of sensor used will depend on the specific needs and goals of the project.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using sensors in energy-saving projects?

While sensors can be highly effective in conserving energy, there may be some potential drawbacks to consider. For example, sensors may require regular maintenance or calibration, and there may be a higher upfront cost for installing and integrating them into existing systems. Additionally, there may be privacy concerns if sensors are used to monitor occupants' behavior.

5. How can I determine the effectiveness of an energy-saving project involving sensors?

The effectiveness of an energy-saving project involving sensors can be measured by tracking energy usage before and after the implementation of the project. This data can be compared to determine the amount of energy saved. Additionally, regular monitoring and analysis of sensor data can provide insights into areas for further optimization and improvement.