What Is the Shortest Wavelength Photon an Electron Can Emit in a Quantum Trap?

In summary: Then, you can subtract the energy differences between the initial state and the possible final states to determine the shortest wavelength.
hvthvt

Homework Statement

There is a thin tube in which a finite potential trap has been set up where V2 = 0 V. An electron is shown traveling rightward toward the trap, in a region with a voltage of V1 = -9.00 V, where it has a kinetic energy of 2.00 eV. When the electron enters the trap region, it can become trapped if it gets rid of enough energy by emitting a photon. The energy levels of the electron within
the trap are E1 = 1.0, E2 = 2.0, and E3 = 4.0 eV, and the nonquantized region begins at E4 = 9.0 eV as shown in the energy-level diagram of Figure b. What is the shortest wavelength such a photon can have?

Homework Equations

E= hc/λ
Ekin=1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess the shortest wavelength occurs at the highest energy level, that is, in the nonquantinized region? However, I do not know what to do with the given voltages. I know that E=qV
Can somebody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
hvthvt said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess the shortest wavelength occurs at the highest energy level, that is, in the nonquantinized region? However, I do not know what to do with the given voltages. I know that E=qV
Can somebody help me?

Photons (and wavelengths) do not occur at a single energy level, they occur when the electron makes a transition between two different energy levels.

So, to modify your statement, the shortest wavelength occurs when the energy difference between two levels is highest.

You need to figure out the energy difference between the electron's initial state and the possible final states, and use that to figure out the wavelength.

A good starting point is to figure out the initial energy of the electron, using the information given in the problem statement.

1. What are energy states in quantum mechanics?

Energy states in quantum mechanics refer to the specific energy levels that an atomic or subatomic particle can exist in. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values rather than a continuous range of values.

2. How are energy states determined in quantum mechanics?

Energy states are determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum systems. The solutions to this equation are the allowed energy states for a given system.

3. What is the relationship between energy states and quantum numbers?

Quantum numbers are used to describe the energy states of a quantum system. Each energy state has a unique set of quantum numbers that describe its properties, such as the energy level, orbital shape, and spin.

4. Can energy states change in quantum mechanics?

Yes, energy states can change in quantum mechanics through a process called quantum transitions. This can occur when a particle interacts with another particle or when energy is added or removed from the system.

5. How do energy states relate to the behavior of matter?

The energy states of particles determine their behavior and properties. For example, the energy states of electrons in an atom determine its chemical properties and the types of bonds it can form with other atoms.