Energy-Stress Tensor question

• A
  • Thread starter VictorMedvil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary: Obviously it was a misunderstanding, because you wrote "It does include the other forces. The stress-energy tensor includes all stress-energy from all sources." What's written in #1 is the em. part only, as far as I read this expression.Yes, that's what I meant. I apologize for the confusion.Yes, that's what I meant.
VictorMedvil
Hello, I was wondering why the energy-stress tensor only accounts for electromagnetic Energy Density and does not include the other forces? Secondary question could this be a flaw within the mathematics of GR making it give nonsense answers for Quantum level interactions?

download.png

Physics news on Phys.org
VictorMedvil said:
I was wondering why the energy-stress tensor only accounts for electromagnetic Energy Density and does not include the other forces?

It does include the other forces. The stress-energy tensor includes all stress-energy from all sources. These are not limited to "forces", by which I assume you mean stress-energy density due to fields; stress-energy due to matter is also included.

• Informative
Likes VictorMedvil
VictorMedvil said:
the energy-stress tensor

What you wrote down is not "the stress-energy tensor" without qualification. It is only the stress-energy tensor due to electromagnetic fields.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and VictorMedvil
PeterDonis said:
What you wrote down is not "the stress-energy tensor" without qualification. It is only the stress-energy tensor due to electromagnetic fields.
Okay thanks that clears that up, what is the other version of the Energy-Stress tensor look like?

VictorMedvil said:
what is the other version of the Energy-Stress tensor look like?

It depends on what kinds of sources are present. There is no single "version" that covers all cases.

• Informative
Likes VictorMedvil
PeterDonis said:
It depends on what kinds of sources are present. There is no single "version" that covers all cases.
Okay Thanks PeterDonis.

PeterDonis said:
It does include the other forces. The stress-energy tensor includes all stress-energy from all sources. These are not limited to "forces", by which I assume you mean stress-energy density due to fields; stress-energy due to matter is also included.
Yes, and I did mean due to fields but there is no "any case" it just depends on the Stress sources exactly what I wanted to know :smile:.

VictorMedvil said:
Yes, and I did mean due to fields but there is no "any case" it just depends on the Stress sources exactly what I wanted to know :smile:.
The most general form (or definition) of the stress-energy tensor in GR is
$$
T_{\mu\nu} = \pm \frac{2}{\sqrt{|\bar g|}} \frac{\delta \mathcal S}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}},
$$
where ##\pm## depends on your sign conventions, ##\bar g## is the metric determinant, and ##\mathcal S## is the action for what you are computing the stress-energy tensor for (ie, not including the Einstein-Hilbert part of the action).

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and VictorMedvil
PeterDonis said:
No, that's the energy-momentum tensor of the electromagnetic field only. The total energy-momentum tensor also has to include the "mechanical" part of the charges. Only the total energy-momentum tensor is conserved!

One model for an energy-momentum tensor for the charges is that of an ideal fluid,
$$T_{\text{mech}}^{\mu \nu} = (U+P) u^{\mu} u^{\nu} -P \eta^{\mu \nu},$$
where ##U## and ##P## are the internal energy density and pressure as measured in the local rest frame of the fluid, and ##u^{\mu}=u^{\mu}(x)## is the four-velocity flow field in units of ##c##, i.e., normalized such that ##u_{\mu} u^{\mu}=1##.

• Skeptical
  • Informative
Likes VictorMedvil, Motore and dextercioby
vanhees71 said:
No, that's the energy-momentum tensor of the electromagnetic field only. The total energy-momentum tensor also has to include the "mechanical" part of the charges.
I think you are misreading Peter’s post.

Likes Motore
vanhees71 said:
No, that's the energy-momentum tensor of the electromagnetic field only.

I'm not sure why you quoted me for this response; you are saying the same thing I was saying.

vanhees71 said:
The total energy-momentum tensor also has to include the "mechanical" part of the charges.

It also has to include stress-energy that might have nothing whatever to do with charges at all.

PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure why you quoted me for this response; you are saying the same thing I was saying.
Obviously it was a misunderstanding, because you wrote "It does include the other forces. The stress-energy tensor includes all stress-energy from all sources." What's written in #1 is the em. part only, as far as I read this expression.

PeterDonis said:
It also has to include stress-energy that might have nothing whatever to do with charges at all.
Of course, that's what the energy-momentum tenor is (perhaps one should rather call it energy-momentum-stress tensor, because the space-space components are the usual stress tensor also known in non-relativistic continuum mechanics).

That's also clear when looking at the most simple case of an ideal fluid, where
$$T^{\mu \nu} = (U+P) u^{\mu} u^{\nu} - P g^{\mu \nu}$$
(in west-coast convention for the metric). Indeed it contains both the internal energy and the stress (pressure) in the expression for the energy density, which is ##T^{00}##.

1. What is an energy-stress tensor?

An energy-stress tensor is a mathematical object used in physics to describe the distribution of energy and momentum within a physical system. It is a rank-2 tensor that contains 10 components, representing the energy density, momentum density, and stress components in 3-dimensional space.

2. How is the energy-stress tensor calculated?

The energy-stress tensor is calculated using the stress-energy-momentum tensor, which is derived from the Lagrangian density of a system. It takes into account the energy and momentum of all particles and fields within the system, and is a fundamental quantity in the theory of general relativity.

3. What is the significance of the energy-stress tensor?

The energy-stress tensor is significant because it allows us to understand the distribution of energy and momentum within a physical system. It is a key component in Einstein's field equations, which describe the curvature of spacetime and the behavior of matter and energy.

4. How is the energy-stress tensor used in practical applications?

The energy-stress tensor is used in a variety of practical applications, including fluid dynamics, solid mechanics, and cosmology. It is also used in the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and the early universe. In engineering, it is used to calculate the stress and strain in materials under different conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to the energy-stress tensor?

While the energy-stress tensor is a powerful tool in physics, it does have some limitations. For example, it does not take into account quantum effects, such as particle-wave duality and uncertainty principles. Additionally, it is not well-defined in regions of extreme curvature, such as singularities in black holes.