Energy transfer in Newton's cradle

In summary, the final kinetic energy of ball 3 is 8*(m1**2)*(m2**2)*m3*(v**2)/(((m1+m2)**2)*(m2+m3)**2)) when m1 is small compared to m3.
Rya_Sly

Homework Statement

Three balls of masses m1, m2 and m3 are suspended in a horizontal line by light wires and are almost touching. The mass m1 is given a horizontal velocity v so that it collides head-on with the mass m2.
Find an expression for the final kinetic energy of m3?
What value of m2 results in the maximum energy transfer to the mass m3?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I considered the problem as two successive two body elastic collisions, with one body initially stationary.
For a collision between mass m1 with initial velocity v and stationary mass m2, I transformed in the zero momentum frame (velocity m1*v/(m1*m2) ), found the respective velocities before and after the collision (the balls keep their velocities form before the collision but swap directions) and then transformed back into the lab frame. So after the collision I got:
v1 = (m1-m2)*v/(m1+m2), for the first ball
v2 = 2m1*v/(m1+m2) for the second ball
So the second ball receives a fraction of 4*m1*m2/((m1+m2)**2) kinetic energy from the first ball

Similarly, the third ball receives a fraction of 4*m2*m3/((m2+m3)**2) from the second ball, so the kinetic energy of the third ball at the end is:
8*(m1**2)*(m2**2)*m3*(v**2)/(((m1+m2)**2)*(m2+m3)**2))

And to get m2 for the maximum energy transfer I differentiated this expression with respect to m2 and got m2=sqrt(m1*m3).

Now I am told neither of these results is correct, and I'm not sure where I've gone wrong, or if the answer I'm comparing to is wrong. Also, apologies for the messy maths, I'm not sure how to make the equations display nicer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rya_Sly said:
And to get m2 for the maximum energy transfer I differentiated this expression with respect to m2 and got m2=sqrt(m1*m3).
I get the same result for your assumptions, and it was also my first guess before calculating it.
It could be a trick question, but I would be surprised to see that: a small mass m2 for a large m3 will lead to multiple collisions, and might allow to transfer more energy to ball 3.

To format expressions, you can use LaTeX.

If you do a web search for "Newton's Cradle analysis", you'll should find this short article, Newton's Cradle by Donald Simanek, which sheds light on some of the shortcomings of simple analysis attempts. Enjoy.

1. How does energy transfer occur in Newton's cradle?

Energy transfer in Newton's cradle occurs through a series of collisions between the balls. When the first ball is released and collides with the second ball, it transfers its energy to the second ball, causing it to move. This process continues until the energy reaches the last ball, which then swings upward due to the transfer of energy.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy transferred in Newton's cradle?

The amount of energy transferred in Newton's cradle is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the balls, the elasticity of the balls, and the number of balls in the cradle. Generally, the greater the mass and velocity of the balls, the more energy will be transferred.

3. Is energy conserved in Newton's cradle?

Yes, energy is conserved in Newton's cradle. This means that the total amount of energy in the system remains constant, even though it is transferred between the balls. This is due to the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted into different forms.

4. How does the height of the balls affect the energy transfer in Newton's cradle?

The height of the balls does not significantly affect the energy transfer in Newton's cradle. As long as the balls are released from the same height, the energy transfer will be the same regardless of the height of the balls.

5. Can Newton's cradle be used to demonstrate other principles of physics?

Yes, Newton's cradle can also be used to demonstrate the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of angular momentum. The momentum of the balls is conserved during the collisions, and the angular momentum is conserved as the balls swing back and forth in a repetitive motion.