Engineering jobs for a naturalized US citizen

In summary, naturalized citizens are eligible to obtain a security clearance just like US citizens born in the US.
amg63
I want to obtain a mechanical engineering degree and work in a respective field in USA. But I will be looking for ME jobs as a naturalized US citizen (I am from Europe, but will soon become US citizen). I heard that it would be harder for me to find a job as any kind of engineer because I can't/don't have a security clearance as a consequence of haven't been born in USA. In fact someone tried to discourage me form pursuing this career, saying that I won't be as hireable as naturally born engineers because employers prefer the kind of engineers that can work on a variety of projects and some of them may require security clearance. Question: is this claim valid? And if so, to what degree? Should I still pursue mechanical engineering, or some other? Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Many (maybe most) jobs don't require a security clearance. I work in the automotive field, and there are plenty of foreign-born mechanical engineers here. Many were not even citizens when they hired in.

If you want to work in the defense industry, every applicant goes through a security clearance. I can't speak to the impact of foreign birth on that. I'm sure it's a factor, but how much?

Likes amg63, Dr.D, russ_watters and 1 other person
I worked for the US Navy, and we had a lot of foreign born engineers. We were so lucky as to even have one from Iran who turned out to be a spy! But, he had a security clearance anyway. Foreign birth in not an insurmountable barrier to US security clearance.

What Randy said about many jobs not requiring a clearance is also true. So, don't let your birthplace stop you.

Likes amg63
I think rarely will a naturalized citizen have any issues, if at all. I am naturalized and all I get asked is if I am a citizen. But to make sure, you do mean naturalized citizen vs a resident alien, you don't "just become" naturalized.

Likes amg63 and RogueOne
I know a lot of foreign-born engineers. I think you would be surprised about how many foreign-born engineers work in the U.S.A. Look up some data on it, if you must.
As far as the guy who told you not to pursue a career in mechanical engineering, I would avoid people like him/her. Pursue the career that you find most rewarding. For me and many others, that is mechanical engineering. I have dealt with people trying to discourage me from it as well, but I ignored them. I can't do anything else. I've never seriously thought about doing anything else.

It doesn't matter where you were born. If you were born to be a mechanical engineer, then get into the field.

Likes amg63 and Dr.D
amg63 said:
I want to obtain a mechanical engineering degree and work in a respective field in USA. But I will be looking for ME jobs as a naturalized US citizen (I am from Europe, but will soon become US citizen). I heard that it would be harder for me to find a job as any kind of engineer because I can't/don't have a security clearance as a consequence of haven't been born in USA. In fact someone tried to discourage me form pursuing this career, saying that I won't be as hireable as naturally born engineers because employers prefer the kind of engineers that can work on a variety of projects and some of them may require security clearance. Question: is this claim valid? And if so, to what degree? Should I still pursue mechanical engineering, or some other? Thank you in advance!

Where did you get the idea that the overwhelming majority of jobs in the US require such security clearance?

Zz.

Likes RogueOne
Thank you all for your kind responses. I would like to add, after doing more personal research regarding the subject matter, the source of citizenship does not play any role in qualification or disqualification of obtaining a security clearance. I found it on FAQ of ClearanceJobs.com. The individual who insisted that it was the case was simply wrong.

To be clear, only US Citizens native or naturalized can get a security clearance if sponsored by a company,or government entity. You can't apply for it yourself:

Can a Naturalized Citizen get a Personnel Clearance?

Yes. The source of US citizenship does not make a difference for security clearance eligibility.

Can non-US citizens obtain security clearances?

No. Non-US citizens cannot obtain a security clearance; however, they may be granted a Limited Access Authorization (LAA). LAAs are grant in those rare circumstances where the non-US citizen possesses unique or unusual skill or expertise that is urgently needed to support a speci c US Government requirement involving access to speci ed classi ed information (no higher than Secret), and a cleared or clearable US citizen is not readily available.

1. What is the process for obtaining an engineering job as a naturalized US citizen?

The process for obtaining an engineering job as a naturalized US citizen is the same as for any other job in the United States. You will need to search for job openings, submit your resume and application, and go through the interview process. As a naturalized citizen, you are eligible to work in the US just like any other citizen.

2. Are there any limitations or restrictions for naturalized US citizens applying for engineering jobs?

No, there are no specific limitations or restrictions for naturalized US citizens applying for engineering jobs. As long as you have the necessary qualifications and work authorization, you are eligible to apply for any engineering job in the US.

3. Are there any benefits or advantages for naturalized US citizens in engineering jobs?

Naturalized US citizens have the same benefits and advantages as any other US citizen in engineering jobs. This includes access to competitive salaries, benefits, and opportunities for career advancement.

4. Can naturalized US citizens work in government or defense-related engineering jobs?

Yes, naturalized US citizens can work in government or defense-related engineering jobs. However, some positions may require security clearances, and the process for obtaining these clearances may take longer for naturalized citizens compared to native-born citizens.

5. Is it necessary for naturalized US citizens to have a degree from a US university to obtain an engineering job?

No, it is not necessary for naturalized US citizens to have a degree from a US university to obtain an engineering job. As long as you have the necessary qualifications and work authorization, you are eligible to apply for engineering jobs in the US regardless of where you obtained your degree.