Engineering Practice Problem for a Pin-Connected Frame

In summary, the individual is seeking help with a practice problem involving a pin connected frame. They have identified what they need to find, but are unsure how to proceed due to the presence of a pin in the center. They are advised to treat it as two separate structures and show the free body diagrams. The individual then confirms their understanding and is asked to deduce any additional information from the given problem.
engineerintraining
Homework Statement
Stuck on solving this practice problem for the pin connected frame
Relevant Equations
2D Equilibrium, Fx, Fy, M
1651165244951.png

Have identified what i need to find, but not sure how to proceed since there is a pin in the centre, do I treat it as two separate structures?

Physics news on Phys.org
engineerintraining said:
Homework Statement:: Stuck on solving this practice problem for the pin connected frame
Relevant Equations:: 2D Equilibrium, Fx, Fy, M

View attachment 300720
Have identified what i need to find, but not sure how to proceed since there is a pin in the centre, do I treat it as two separate structures?
Welcome to PF.

Per the PF Rules, you need to show your work before we can help. So yes, start by treating it as two separate structures and show the FBDs please. Thank you.

1651166148374.png

this is what I have, then based on this i was thinking that i could assume this:
1651166198165.png

Does that look right?

Sure. That is the force equilibrium for the right part. What else can you deduce?

Likes engineerintraining

1. What is a pin-connected frame?

A pin-connected frame is a type of structural system used in engineering that consists of beams and columns connected by pins or hinges at their connections. This allows for the frame to be able to rotate and move, making it more flexible and able to withstand different types of loads.

2. How does a pin-connected frame work?

A pin-connected frame works by distributing the forces and loads applied to it through the use of pins or hinges at the connections between the beams and columns. This allows for the frame to move and rotate, reducing the stress and strain on individual members and making it more stable.

3. What are the advantages of using a pin-connected frame?

Some advantages of using a pin-connected frame include its flexibility and ability to withstand different types of loads, its simplicity in design and construction, and its ability to be easily disassembled and reassembled for transportation or modifications.

4. What are the limitations of a pin-connected frame?

One limitation of a pin-connected frame is that it may not be as strong as other types of structural systems, such as rigid frames, and may require additional support or bracing. Additionally, the pins or hinges used in the connections may experience wear and tear over time, requiring maintenance or replacement.

5. How are pin-connected frames used in engineering practice?

Pin-connected frames are commonly used in engineering practice for various structures, such as bridges, roofs, and buildings. They are also used in temporary structures, such as scaffolding, due to their ease of assembly and disassembly. They are often used in situations where flexibility and adaptability are important, such as in earthquake-prone areas.