Engineering Student Seeks Good Math Book: Advice?

• Thread starter GiuseppeR7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the student is looking for math books that are similar to the physics books by Feynman. They want a book or set of books that can provide a sound understanding of math, specifically the basics. They have already looked into "What Is Mathematics" by Courant but found it lacking in depth. They are interested in topics such as set theory, demonstration, the Russell paradox, and Godel's incompleteness theorem. Suggestions are given for books like Arfken and Weber, Boas, and Nearings. Ultimately, the student is interested in finding a book that can answer basic questions about mathematics. Recommendations are made for "Math 1001" by Elwes and "Princeton Book of Mathematics."
GiuseppeR7
Hi, I'm a student of engineering.
I'm learning physics from the books of Feynman. As the time goes by i realize that i know VERY little about math.
So I'm looking for some math books that are analogue to the Feynman books but for the math, i mean i want a book, or a set of books that are able to give me a sound understanding of math, in specifics the basics, if they exist in mathematics. I have puts my hands on What Is Mathematics by Courant but it is not such a deep work in my opinion since it never even answer the question given in the title...but it's a very good "starter".
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mhhh...no...that is not the kind of stuff for what I'm looking for. Watching the contents of the books concepts like the set theory are not there. I want a book that can answer very basic question of mathematics, like: what do we mean by demonstration? how the Russel paradox was teated? what is the incompletness theorem by Godel?

i'm going to take a look!

1. What is the best math book for engineering students?

The best math book for engineering students will depend on the student's level of math proficiency and the specific engineering discipline they are studying. Some popular options include "Engineering Mathematics" by K.A. Stroud, "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig, and "Mathematics for Engineers" by Tony Croft and Robert Davison.

2. Is it necessary for an engineering student to have a separate math book?

While many engineering textbooks may include some math concepts, having a separate math book can be helpful for more in-depth explanations and practice problems. It can also serve as a useful reference for future courses and in the workplace.

3. What topics should an ideal math book for engineering students cover?

An ideal math book for engineering students should cover a range of topics including calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and complex numbers. It should also include applications of these concepts in engineering problems and examples from various engineering disciplines.

4. Are there any online resources for math books for engineering students?

Yes, there are many online resources for math books for engineering students. Some popular options include e-books from online retailers such as Amazon, online libraries such as Project Gutenberg, and educational websites like Khan Academy and Coursera.

5. How can I choose the right math book for my needs as an engineering student?

To choose the right math book, it is important to consider your current level of math proficiency, the specific topics you need to study, and the style of the book. You may also want to read reviews and ask for recommendations from professors or fellow students in your engineering program.