Entangled particle through double slit

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of delayed choice quantum eraser experiment, where a stream of entangled particles are used to observe interference patterns. It is noted that the usual interference pattern is not observed when the which-path information of the particles is available. However, by using quantum erasure, the interference pattern can be observed through coincidence counting. The possibility of choosing the pattern on the right particle screen by erasing the left particle's which-path information is also discussed, even if the particles are far apart.
whoperj
I create 1000 pairs of entangled particles and let them travel very far away.
Then I let the 1000 right particles pass through a double slit experiment.

At the time when the right particle has passed the slit, but not yet hit the screen, I can choose to detect the 1000 left particles. If I detect/collapse the left particles, then I know which path the right particle took? If so, then there is no interference pattern on the screen?

Then I, located where the left particles are in space, can choose what pattern appears on the right particle screen instantaneously? ie faster-than-light.

Physics news on Phys.org
whoperj said:

At the time when the right particle has passed the slit, but not yet hit the screen, I can choose to detect the 1000 left particles. If I detect/collapse the left particles, then I know which path the right particle took? If so, then there is no interference pattern on the screen?

Then I, located where the left particles are in space, can choose what pattern appears on the right particle screen instantaneously? ie faster-than-light.
You might want to take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_choice_quantum_eraser#The_experiment_of_Kim_et_al._.282000.29 - but note carefully how the interference pattern is detected - there's no image formed on a screen.

In the delayed choice experiment the original photon is down-converted after it has passed the silt.
In my scenario, the original photon is down-converted way way before the right particle passes the slit. Does that make a difference?

whoperj said:

A stream of entangled particles do not produce the usual interference effects while still entangled. So do whatever you like, the pattern is the same. No interference, and no FTL signalling. See:

http://www.hep.yorku.ca/menary/courses/phys2040/misc/foundations.pdf

Figure 2, S290.

My understanding of the linked PDF is that :

the usual interference pattern is NOT observed for the right particles if the left stream of particles are just left alone;
but if the left stream of particles (which-path information) are quantum erased, the the usual interference pattern can be observed for the right side particles.

So in my original scenario:
I, located where the left particles are in space, can choose to erase or not erase the left which-path information, thus choosing what pattern appears on the right particle screen? even if the left particle and right particle are far far apart?

whoperj said:
the usual interference pattern is NOT observed for the right particles if the left stream of particles are just left alone;
but if the left stream of particles (which-path information) are quantum erased, the the usual interference pattern can be observed for the right side particles.

So in my original scenario:
I, located where the left particles are in space, can choose to erase or not erase the left which-path information, thus choosing what pattern appears on the right particle screen? even if the left particle and right particle are far far apart?

You are mixing scenarios and their results.

Scenario A, where there is no quantum erasure, produces no interference (as the reference notes).

Scenario B, where there is quantum erasure, produces no obvious interference pattern either. However, by using coincidence counting (results from both sides), an interference pattern can be seen.

By the way, welcome to PhysicsForums!

Related to Entangled particle through double slit

1. How do entangled particles behave when passing through a double slit experiment?

Entangled particles will behave in a correlated manner when passing through a double slit experiment. This means that the particles will exhibit similar patterns and behaviors, even when separated by a large distance.

2. Can entangled particles be used to transmit information?

No, entangled particles cannot be used to transmit information. While their behavior is correlated, this does not allow for the transmission of information faster than the speed of light.

3. How does the entanglement of particles affect the outcome of the double slit experiment?

The entanglement of particles can affect the outcome of the double slit experiment by producing an interference pattern, even when the particles are not physically interacting with each other. This is due to the correlated behavior of the entangled particles.

4. Is it possible to create entangled particles in a lab?

Yes, it is possible to create entangled particles in a lab through a process called quantum entanglement. This involves manipulating the quantum states of particles to become entangled with each other.

5. What are the potential applications of entangled particles in technology?

Entangled particles have potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. They can also be used to study and better understand quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles on a microscopic level.