Entanglement and density matrix in QFTs

In summary: \varphi^{''}(x^{''}+1) \right) & =abla^2 \left( \varphi^{''}(x^{''}) , \varphi^{'}(x^{'}) ... \varphi^{''}(x^{''}+1) \right) \\& =abla^2 \left( \varphi^{'}(x^{'}) , \varphi^{''}(x^{''}) ... \varphi^{'}(x^{'}) \right) \\& =abla^2 \left( \varphi^{'}(x^{'}) , \varphi^{''
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm reading this paper. But I haven't read anything on how to calculate the density operator in a QFT or how to calculate its trace. Now I can't follow this part of the paper. Can anyone clarify?
This can be done in the path-integral formalism as follows. We first assume that A is the single interval ##x\in[u, v]## at ## t_E=0 ## in the flat Euclidean coordinates ##(t_E , x) ∈ \mathbb R^2## . The ground state wave function ## \Psi ## can be found by path-integrating from ##t_E = −\infty## to ##t_E = 0## in the Euclidean formalism

## \Psi(\phi_0(x))=\int_{t_E=-\infty}^{\phi(t_E=0,x)=\phi_0(x)} D\phi e^{-S(\phi)} ##

, where ## \phi(t_E,x) ## denotes the field which defines the 2D CFT. The values of the field at the boundary ## \phi_0 ## depends on the spatial coordinate x. The total density matrix ##\rho## is given by two copies of the wave function ## [\rho]_{\phi_0 \phi_0'}=\Psi(\phi_0)\bar{\Psi}(\phi_0') ##. The complex conjugate one ## \bar{\Psi} ## can be obtained by path-integrating from ##t_E = \infty## to ##t_E = 0##. To obtain the reduced density matrix ## \rho_A ## , we need to integrate ## \phi_0 ## on B assuming ##\phi_0(x)=\phi'_0(x)## when ##x \in B##.

##\displaystyle [\rho_A]_{\phi_+\phi_-}=(Z_1)^{-1}\int_{t_E=-\infty}^{t_E=\infty}D \phi e^{-S(\phi)} \Pi_{x\in A} \delta(\phi(+0,x)-\phi_+(x)) \delta(\phi(-0,x)-\phi_-(x)) ##

where ## Z_1 ## is the vacuum partition function on ## \mathbb R^2 ## and we multiply its inverse in order to normalize ## \rho_A ## such that ##tr_A \rho_A=1##.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well to answer your question, it seems one first needs to learn CFT, I have the book of Di Franchesko but I still didn't read it, so I guess I cannot help here, what is your knowledge of CFT?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Well to answer your question, it seems one first needs to learn CFT, I have the book of Di Franchesko but I still didn't read it, so I guess I cannot help here, what is your knowledge of CFT?
I know some CFT but actually its not necessary for this question. My question is about calculating the density matrix of any QFT. Maybe @samalkhaiat can help.

I don't know if it helps or not, but I searched google for density functional in QFT, and got this first hit:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1503.02925

Seems like a good reference, don't know if specifically here it helps.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I don't know if it helps or not, but I searched google for density functional in QFT, and got this first hit:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1503.02925

Seems like a good reference, don't know if specifically here it helps.
Density functional is different from density matrix(operator). In QM, density operator is calculated by the formula ## \rho=\sum_n p_n |\phi_n\rangle \langle \phi_n |## where ## \{|\phi_n\rangle\} ## is a set of not necessarily orthonormal states. I want to know how to calculate the corresponding quantity in QFT.

Well, I am not sure; but in QFT wouldn't we have fields instead of the states ##\phi_n##?

ShayanJ said:
I know some CFT but actually its not necessary for this question. My question is about calculating the density matrix of any QFT. Maybe @samalkhaiat can help.

Tadashi Takayanagi is good young physicist, I was impressed by his lectures at CERN Winter School on Supergravity 2012. He presented the subject very well, I suggest (if you have not done so) you look at them. As you might know, to explain this properly, one needs to draw pictures. Unfortunately I cannot do this, but this does not prevent us from making formal analogy with QM. In statistical physics, the density matrix in a thermal state at (inverse) temperature [itex]\beta[/itex] is given by [tex]\rho (x,y) \propto \langle x | e^{-\beta H} | y \rangle .[/tex] The proportionality constant which ensures [tex]\mbox{Tr}( \rho ) = \int dx \ \rho (x,x) = 1 ,[/tex] is given by [tex]\frac{1}{Z} = \frac{1}{\mbox{Tr}( e^{-\beta H})} .[/tex] One can (if one wants to) express [itex]\rho[/itex] as path integral over the variables [itex]x(\tau)[/itex] which take “boundary” values [itex]y[/itex] at [itex]\tau = 0[/itex], and [itex]x[/itex] at [itex]\tau = \beta[/itex]. So, you should have no problem with path integral expression [tex]\rho (x , y) = \frac{\langle x | e^{-\beta H} | y \rangle }{Z} = (1/Z) \int [dx(\tau)] \ \delta (x(0) - y) \delta (x(\beta) - x) \ e^{- \int^{\beta}_{0} \ L d\tau} . \ \ \ (1)[/tex] Taking the trace, i.e., setting [itex]x = y[/itex] and integrating, has, therefore, the effect of “gluing the edges” along [itex]\tau = 0[/itex] and [itex]\tau = \beta[/itex] and forming a "cylinder" of circumference [itex]\beta[/itex].
Okay, let us formally generalize the above to a bosonic field theory in (1+1)-dimension: the operator [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] will be “replaced” by a complete set of local observables [itex]\{ \hat{\varphi}(x) \}[/itex], and [itex]\hat{x}|x\rangle = x |x\rangle[/itex] with the eigenvalue equations [tex]\{ \hat{\varphi}(x) \} \left( \otimes_{x}| \{ \varphi (x) \} \rangle \right) = \{ \varphi (x) \} \left( \otimes_{x}| \{ \varphi (x) \} \rangle \right) .[/tex] So, instead of (1), you will have
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\rho \left( \varphi^{''}(x^{''}) , \varphi^{'}(x^{'}) \right) &= \frac{ \langle \varphi^{''}(x^{''}) | e^{-\beta H} | \varphi^{'}(x^{'}) \rangle}{Z} \\
&= \frac{1}{Z} \int [d\varphi (x , \tau)] \prod_{x}\left[ \delta \left( \varphi (x,0) - \varphi^{'}(x^{'}) \right) \delta \left( \varphi (x ,\beta) - \varphi^{''}(x^{''}) \right) \right] e^{-\int_{0}^{\beta} L_{E} d\tau} \ \ \ \ (2)
\end{align*}
[/tex]
Again, the delta functions are there to enforce the boundary values [itex]\varphi^{'}(x)[/itex] at [itex]\tau = 0[/itex], and [itex]\varphi^{''}(x)[/itex] at [itex]\tau = \beta[/itex]. And the trace is found by setting [itex]\varphi^{''}(x) = \varphi^{'}(x)[/itex] and integrating over these variables except, in this case, you really have edges to glue along [itex]\tau = 0[/itex] and [itex]\tau = \beta[/itex].
So, if you want to calculate [itex]\mbox{Tr}(\rho^{n})[/itex], you will need to take the products of n path integral of the form (2) which will be equivalent to path integral over n-sheeted Reimann surface.

Last edited:
Likes ShayanJ
For an intro to relativistic quantum many-body theory (QFT), I can recommend three textbooks

J. I. Kapusta and C. Gale, Finite-Temperature Field Theory; Principles and Applications, Cambridge University Press, 2 ed., 2006.
M. LeBellac, Thermal Field Theory, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, Melbourne, 1996.

M. Laine and A. Vuorinen, Basics of Thermal Field Theory, vol. 925 of Lecture Notes in Physics, 2016.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-31933-9

or my lecture notes

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/off-eq-qft.pdf

It seems to me you're talking about something else!

1) The calculations in sec.3.1 of the paper are done for a zero temperature CFT, i.e. ##-\infty<t_E<\infty##.

2) The density matrix for the field in all points is ## [\rho]_{\phi_0\phi_0'}=\Psi(\phi_0)\overline \Psi(\phi'_0) ##. Since ## \displaystyle \Psi(\phi_0)\propto \int_{t_E=-\infty}^{\phi(t_E=0,x)=\phi_0(x)} D \phi e^{-S[\phi]}## and ## \overline\Psi(\phi'_0)\propto \displaystyle \int^{t_E=\infty}_{\phi(t_E=0,x)=\phi'_0(x)} D \phi e^{-S[\phi]} ##, the density matrix should be ## \displaystyle [\rho]_{\phi_0\phi'_0}\propto \int_{t_E=-\infty}^{\phi(t_E=0,x)=\phi_0(x)} \int^{t_E=\infty}_{\phi'(t_E=0,x)=\phi'_0(x)} D \phi D \phi' e^{-S[\phi]} e^{-S[\phi']}##.

3) The path integral with those dirac deltas, is actually the reduced density matrix which is calculated by integrating out all the degrees of freedom outside of region A and the density matrix for all points of space should have no dirac delta! This means that in the density matrix above, we should put ## \phi(x)=\phi'(x) ## and ## \phi_0(x)=\phi'_0(x) ## except for ## x\in A ##. Taking a full trace gives ## \displaystyle Tr \rho=\int_{t_E=-\infty}^{\phi(t_E=0,x)=\phi_0(x)} \int^{t_E=\infty}_{\phi'(t_E=0,x)=\phi'_0(x)} D \phi D \phi' e^{-S[\phi]} e^{-S[\phi']} \prod_{x} \delta( \phi(t_E,x)-\phi'(t_E,x) )=\int_{t_E=-\infty}^{t_E=\infty}D \phi e^{-2S[\phi]}##. But because we don't want the full trace and just want to integrate out degrees of freedom outside of A and have a reduced density matrix for A, we should avoid integrating over all fields for ## x\in A ##. We also need two boundary conditions at zero(## \phi_{\pm}(x) ##). So we put those dirac deltas in the formula for the full trace and get:
## \displaystyle [\rho_A]_{\phi_+\phi_-}\propto \int_{t_E=-\infty}^{t_E=\infty}D \phi e^{-2S[\phi]} \prod_{x\in A} \delta(\phi(+0,x)-\phi_+(x))\delta(\phi(-0,x)-\phi_-(x)) ##.

But as you can see, instead of ## e^{-S[\phi]} ##, I have ## e^{-2S[\phi]} ##. Also I'm not sure about all these because its just my guts filling the blanks!
I also don't quite understand how ## \displaystyle \int_{t_E=-\infty}^{\phi(t_E=0,x)=\phi_0(x)} \int^{t_E=\infty}_{\phi'(t_E=0,x)=\phi'_0(x)} \to \int_{t_E=-\infty}^{t_E=\infty} ## because the second integral should simply give 1 and shouldn't extend the integration interval of the other integral. But it seems that should be done to get the desired result!

Last edited:
My previous post seems wrong to me now. What actually happens, is that first we write the density matrix as follows:

## \displaystyle [\rho]_{\phi_0 \phi_0'}\propto \int_{t_E=-\infty}^{\phi(t_E=0,x)=\phi_0(x)} \int_{\phi'(t_E=0,x)=\phi_0'(x)}^{t_E=\infty} D\phi D\phi' e^{-S[\phi]}e^{-S[\phi']}##.

To take a full trace, we set ## \phi_0(x)=\phi_0'(x) ## and integrate over ## \phi_0(x) ##, so we have:

## \displaystyle Tr[\rho] \propto \int D\phi_0 \int_{t_E=-\infty}^{\phi(t_E=0,x)=\phi_0(x)} \int_{\phi'(t_E=0,x)=\phi_0(x)}^{t_E=\infty} D\phi D\phi' e^{-S[\phi]}e^{-S[\phi']} ##.

This somehow should reduce to ## \displaystyle Tr[\rho]\propto \int D\phi e^{-S[\phi]} ##, but I have no idea how!

You integrate "over all paths", where in QFT the paths are in field-configuration space. Your first expression describes the integration over all paths first involving only the part where ##t<0## and at ##t=0## the field is fixed as ##\phi_0(t=0,\vec{x})=\phi_0(\vec{x})## and then a part where ##t>0## and ##\phi_0(t=0,\vec{x})=\phi_0'(\vec{x})##, leading to a functional of ##\phi_0## and ##\phi_0'##.

Now if you want the trace (i.e., the partition sum) you set ##\phi_0=\phi_0'##, i.e., you integrate first for ##t<0## and ##t>0## with fixed field configuration ##\phi_0## for both parts. Finally you integrate also over ##\phi_0##. So altogether you integrate in this final step over all field configurations without restrictions, and that's the meaning of the trace.

Likes ShayanJ
Thanks guys. I now understand it clearly.
But I just realized there is another problem. In the paper in the OP, the ground state wave functional is given by ## \displaystyle \Psi(\phi_0(x))=\int_{t_E=-\infty}^{\phi(t_E=0,x)=\phi_0(x)} D\phi e^{-S[\phi]} ##. As you can see the argument of the wave functional appears as the ## t_E=0 ## boundary condition of the path integral. But the calculations mentioned in this thread, give a wave functional whose argument appears as the ## \pm \infty ## boundary condition of the path integral. Where does this discrepancy come from?

EDIT:
Is ## t=it_E ## only a convention for Wick rotation or is it the only right way? Because if I'm allowed to do the Wick rotation with ## t=-it_E ##, the above problem would be solved!

Last edited:

1. What is entanglement in quantum field theory (QFT)?

Entanglement in QFT refers to the phenomenon where two or more quantum systems become so strongly correlated that their individual properties cannot be described independently. This means that the state of one system is dependent on the state of the other, even if they are physically separated. This concept is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and has implications for quantum information processing and quantum computing.

2. How is entanglement measured in QFT?

The amount of entanglement between two quantum systems can be quantified using the density matrix, which is a mathematical tool used to describe the state of a quantum system. The more mixed the density matrix is, the less entanglement there is between the systems. Alternatively, entanglement can also be measured by calculating the entropy of entanglement, which is a measure of the amount of randomness in the entangled state.

3. How does entanglement affect the behavior of particles in QFT?

Entanglement plays a crucial role in the behavior of particles in QFT. It can lead to phenomena such as non-local correlations, where the state of one particle can affect the state of another particle instantaneously, regardless of the distance between them. Entanglement can also affect the outcomes of measurements on the particles, leading to unexpected results such as the violation of Bell's inequality.

4. Can entanglement be created and manipulated in QFT?

Yes, entanglement can be created and manipulated in QFT. This can be done through various methods, such as entangling interactions between particles or using quantum gates in quantum computing. Entanglement can also be controlled and manipulated to perform specific tasks, such as quantum teleportation and quantum cryptography.

5. What are the applications of entanglement and density matrix in QFT?

Entanglement and the density matrix have various applications in QFT, including quantum information processing, quantum computing, and quantum cryptography. They also have implications for understanding the behavior of quantum systems, and their study can lead to advancements in fields such as quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. Additionally, entanglement and the density matrix have potential applications in fields such as quantum sensors and quantum simulators.