Enthelpy at the throat of the nozzle

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the actual enthalpy at the throat using the formula ht=h*+(a*2/2). The speaker explains their process of guessing and calculating the enthalpy at the throat and using a solver in excel to find the actual value. They also mention calculating pressure and temperature as a function of enthalpy and entropy.
Naav_Gothalla
Hi, This is my first post in this forum :woot:
I have a total enthalpy ht=3000 kj/kg with velocity at inlet v1=20 ms-1, Speed of sound a1=562.5 ms-1 and outlet pressure P2 = 1 bar
With the formula ht=h*+(a*2/2) how do i calculate actual value at throat h* ?

NOTE: (by trial and error)
  • I can take any guesses for enthalpy at throat and i start by considering h*=2800 Kj/kg
  • Total enthalpy and entropy remains constant at 3000 Kj/kg and Entropy with 6.5 Kj/K
  • ht-htinlet != 0 i.e Δ=0

Have you tried anything yourself yet?

boneh3ad said:
Have you tried anything yourself yet?
Yes , Sir I found the result.:partytime:
I guessed enthalpy at throat and i start by considering h*=2800 Kj/kg later on i find the speed of air(c*) = velocity of sound at throat(v*) for Mach 1. Furthermore, i calculate actual enthalpy at throat using the formula (h*=ht-c*2/2). I use a solver in excel such that Δh=(ht-h*) should be equal to zero there by finding the actual enthalpy at the throat. Next I calculate pressure and temperature which are a function of enthalpy and entropy.

Ah, good to hear that. Sorry no one answered your original post but it sounds like you didn't need it anyway. Carry on!

Related to Enthelpy at the throat of the nozzle

1. What is enthalpy at the throat of the nozzle?

Enthalpy at the throat of the nozzle is a thermodynamic property that describes the energy content of a fluid at the narrowest point of a nozzle, where the fluid's velocity is at its maximum. It is often used to measure the efficiency and performance of a nozzle in fluid dynamics.

2. How is enthalpy at the throat of the nozzle calculated?

Enthalpy at the throat of the nozzle can be calculated using the equation: h = u + (P/ρ), where h is enthalpy, u is internal energy, P is pressure, and ρ is density. This equation takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the fluid, as well as the fluid's pressure and density at the throat of the nozzle.

3. What factors affect enthalpy at the throat of the nozzle?

Enthalpy at the throat of the nozzle is affected by various factors such as the type of fluid, its temperature and pressure, and the shape and size of the nozzle. Additionally, any changes in the fluid's properties, such as compressibility or viscosity, can also impact the enthalpy at the throat of the nozzle.

4. Why is enthalpy at the throat of the nozzle important in fluid dynamics?

Enthalpy at the throat of the nozzle is important in fluid dynamics because it provides valuable information about the performance and efficiency of the nozzle. By measuring the enthalpy at the throat, engineers and scientists can determine the amount of energy that is being transferred to the fluid and how efficiently the nozzle is converting that energy into velocity.

5. How can enthalpy at the throat of the nozzle be optimized?

The enthalpy at the throat of the nozzle can be optimized by adjusting various parameters such as the shape and size of the nozzle, the properties of the fluid, and the operating conditions. Additionally, using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations can help to fine-tune these parameters and achieve the desired enthalpy at the throat of the nozzle for optimal performance.