What Is the Entropy Change When Ice Melts in Hot Water?

In summary: I think your original equation was fine. Just a small detail: ##dQ_{rev}=T\,dS## is the definition of ##dS##; so you could write ##dS=\frac{dQ_{rev}}{T}##. The bookkeeping here is that the amount of heat energy ##dQ_{rev}## that crosses the boundary of the system is not an exact differential; its value depends on the path taken. But the entropy change ##dS## is an exact differential, and its value is the same for any reversible path between the same two equilibrium states. The equation you wrote is correct, and it is valid for any reversible path between the initial and final equilibrium
tom4real
OP warned about not using the homework template
A closed, well-insulated container is filled with 454 g of water at 94.4 °C. To the hot water, 200 g of water ice at exactly 0 °C is added. The mixture reaches an equilibrium temperature of 41.1 °C. Assume the molar heat capacity is constant and all the processes are at constant pressure. The standard enthalpy of fusion for water at 0 °C is 6.008 kJ mol–1. The constant-pressure heat capacity for water is 75.291 J K–1 mol–1. Water has a molecular weight of 18.015 g mol–1.

Calculate the entropy change (in J K–1) for the system that happened because of this mixing.

I know the entropy change equals to q/t because q equals to the enthalpy exchange in the system as it is constant pressure, so what I did was:

q=(454/18.015)75.291(41.1-94.4)+(200/18.015)75.291(41.1)+(200/18.015)*6008=172.2J

change in entropy=172.2/(41.4+273)=0.55 Jk-1

That is apparently incorrect, what have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
tom4real said:
A closed, well-insulated container is filled with 454 g of water at 94.4 °C. To the hot water, 200 g of water ice at exactly 0 °C is added. The mixture reaches an equilibrium temperature of 41.1 °C. Assume the molar heat capacity is constant and all the processes are at constant pressure. The standard enthalpy of fusion for water at 0 °C is 6.008 kJ mol–1. The constant-pressure heat capacity for water is 75.291 J K–1 mol–1. Water has a molecular weight of 18.015 g mol–1.

Calculate the entropy change (in J K–1) for the system that happened because of this mixing.

I know the entropy change equals to q/t because q equals to the enthalpy exchange in the system as it is constant pressure, so what I did was:

q=(454/18.015)75.291(41.1-94.4)+(200/18.015)75.291(41.1)+(200/18.015)*6008=172.2J

change in entropy=172.2/(41.4+273)=0.55 Jk-1

That is apparently incorrect, what have I done wrong?

Hi tom4real! :oldsmile:

The entropy change is actually:
$$dS=\frac{dQ}{T}$$
When changing temperature at constant pressure and with a constant-pressure heat capacity ##C_p## that means:
$$\Delta S = \int_{T_{initial}}^{T_{final}} \frac{dQ}{T} = \int_{T_{initial}}^{T_{final}} \frac{nC_p\,dT}{T} =nC_p \ln T\Big|_{T_{initial}}^{T_{final}}$$

I like Serena said:
Hi tom4real! :oldsmile:

The entropy change is actually:
$$dS=\frac{dQ}{T}$$
Hi I like Serena. In my judgment, this equation needs to be qualified a little by writing $$dS=\frac{dQ_{rev}}{T}$$ where the subscript "rev" refers to a reversible path between the initial thermodynamic equilibrium state and the final thermodynamic equilibrium state. The actual path of this process is not reversible, and, during the irreversible change under consideration, the temperature T of the liquid water is not uniform spatially. So there is no unique temperature T to use in the equation if we don't require the path to be reversible. Only if the path is reversible will the temperature of the water be uniform spatially.

An acceptable reversible path would be to put the 454 grams of water into contact with a continuous sequence of constant temperature reservoirs (running from 94.4 C to 41.1 C), each at a slightly lower temperature than the present temperature of the water. The equation you wrote would then be appropriate for this reversible path. For more discussion of this (with a very similar example), see my recent Physics Forums Insights article at the following link: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/grandpa-chets-entropy-recipe/

Likes I like Serena

1. What is the definition of entropy change of water?

The entropy change of water refers to the change in the disorder or randomness of water molecules in a given system. It is a measure of the energy dispersion or the degree of disorder in a system.

2. How is the entropy change of water calculated?

The entropy change of water can be calculated using the formula ΔS = q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, q is the heat added or removed from the system, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What factors affect the entropy change of water?

The entropy change of water is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other solutes or molecules in the system. Higher temperatures and pressures generally lead to an increase in entropy, while the addition of solutes can decrease entropy.

4. What is the relationship between entropy change of water and phase changes?

The entropy change of water is closely related to phase changes, as these involve a change in the molecular arrangement and thus a change in the disorder of water molecules. For example, the entropy of liquid water is higher than that of solid ice due to the increased randomness of the molecules in the liquid state.

5. Why is the entropy change of water important in scientific research?

The entropy change of water is an important concept in scientific research because it helps to explain and predict the behavior of water in various systems. It is also a key factor in understanding phase transitions, chemical reactions, and the thermodynamic stability of a system. Additionally, changes in the entropy of water can have significant impacts on biological processes and environmental phenomena.