Entropy of the river due to coal heating

In summary: Cp/Cv) of a gas. The experimenter adds 980 J of heat to 1.75 mols of an ideal gas, causing it to expand and do 234 J of work. To find gamma, the first law is applied and it is assumed that the process is quasi-static. The questions to be answered are what is ΔU, its relation to Cv and ΔT, and the difference between Cv and Cp. Answering these questions will help determine Cp and ultimately, gamma.
idkididk
Gamma (Cp/Cv) of a gas

Homework Statement

An experimenter adds 980 J of heat to 1.75 mols of an ideal gas to heat it from 10.0 C to 25.0 C at constant pressure. The gas does 234 J of work during the expansion. Calculate gamma (Cp/Cv) for the gas.

Homework Equations

Cv=Cp-nR
Gamma =Cp/Cv

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea where to start. I found other ratios between the variables but I'm still confused. Do i have to use Q or delta Q?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

idkididk said:

Homework Statement

An experimenter adds 980 J of heat to 1.75 mols of an ideal gas to heat it from 10.0 C to 25.0 C at constant pressure. The gas does 234 J of work during the expansion. Calculate gamma (Cp/Cv) for the gas.

Homework Equations

Cv=Cp-nR
Gamma =Cp/Cv

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea where to start. I found other ratios between the variables but I'm still confused. Do i have to use Q or delta Q?
Apply the first law. Assume that it is a quasi-static process. What is ΔU? How does ΔU relate to Cv and ΔT? What is the difference between Cv and Cp? Answer all those questions and you will be able to determine Cp.

AM

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the context of thermodynamics, it is a measure of the unavailable energy in a closed system.

2. How does coal heating affect the entropy of a river?

Coal heating releases heat energy into the environment, which can increase the overall entropy of the river by increasing the disorder and randomness of the molecules in the water.

3. What are the potential consequences of increased entropy in a river due to coal heating?

The consequences of increased entropy in a river include changes in temperature, flow, and dissolved oxygen levels, which can negatively impact the ecosystem and aquatic life.

4. Can the entropy of a river be reversed after being heated by coal?

Yes, the entropy of a river can be reversed through natural processes such as dilution and mixing, as well as human interventions such as cooling systems and water treatment plants.

5. How can scientists mitigate the effects of coal heating on the entropy of a river?

Scientists can work towards reducing the use of coal and promoting renewable energy sources to decrease the amount of heat released into the river. They can also implement measures to reduce the impact of heated water on aquatic life, such as creating cooler habitats and promoting biodiversity.