Epistasis clarification - congenital deafness

• Thread starter RabbitWho
  • Start date
In summary: The genes A and B in this example are the alleles considered dominant, and if you have two of them, that means you are deaf.
RabbitWho
Can you help me understand this please?
Quote is from “Fundamentals of Psychobiology” published by Sanz and Torres (Fundamentos de Psicobiología) Quotes in italics:

Epistasis consists of the interaction between genes which determin characteristics in such a way as that one gene masks the efect of the other.

(the example that wikipedia gives of this is very nice, a fly who has a gene “for long wings” and another gene for “wrinkly wings” but neither of these are expressed in the phenotype because he also has a gene for “no wings”)
I can't get my head round the more detailed example in my textbook. The part in bold is the problem.
Two genes are involved in congenital deafness in humans (a and b) each of which presents 2 alleles.

If one of these appears in recessive homozygosis, deafness is manifested independly of which allele the other presents.
However, if there is at least one dominant allele in each gene, deafness does not manifest.

That is, any of the following genotypes: Aabb; Aabb; aabb; aaBB or aaBb, means the person will be deaf.
Any of the following: AABB; AABb; AaBB or AaBb; will prevent deafness.
I think an explanation of why might help me understand, or maybe a more detailed example. For example applying the example to the genotypes. I don't understand what genes A and B are actually doing in the example. Unlike the example with the flies where I can imagine A=long wings, a = short wings, B = wings, b = no wings, so Aabb = fly with long wings while AABB = fly with no wings.

Also it says that if there is one dominant allele then deafness will not manifest, but surely all but one of the list of genotypes resulting in deafness had a dominant allele?

Biology news on Phys.org
In this case, A and B are probably two proteins that work together to produce a functional component of the auditory system. Some structure made up of protein A and protein B wouldn't be the same with either the recessive a or b.

Likes 1 person
I get it now! Thank you!

1. What is epistasis?

Epistasis is a type of genetic interaction where the effects of one gene are modified by the presence of one or more other genes. It can either enhance or suppress the expression of a gene.

2. How does epistasis relate to congenital deafness?

Epistasis can play a role in determining an individual's susceptibility to congenital deafness. Certain genes may interact with one another to increase or decrease the likelihood of developing deafness, even if the individual has other genes that predispose them to the condition.

3. What are the different types of epistasis?

There are four main types of epistasis: dominant, recessive, duplicate dominant, and duplicate recessive. Dominant epistasis occurs when one gene masks the effects of another gene, while recessive epistasis occurs when one gene completely suppresses the expression of another gene. Duplicate dominant and duplicate recessive epistasis both involve interactions between two pairs of genes.

4. How is epistasis studied in relation to congenital deafness?

Epistasis in relation to congenital deafness is primarily studied through genetic testing and analysis. Researchers can look for variations in specific genes known to be involved in hearing and also examine the interactions between these genes to better understand how they contribute to the development of deafness.

5. Can epistasis be used to predict an individual's risk of developing congenital deafness?

While epistasis can provide insight into an individual's susceptibility to congenital deafness, it is not a reliable predictor of risk. Other factors, such as environmental influences and additional genetic variations, can also play a role in determining an individual's likelihood of developing deafness.