Epsilon-Delta Proof Homework: Understanding the Thought Process

• Thread starter dainty77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of epsilon-delta proofs and the thought process behind solving them. Different approaches, such as starting with the simplest solution and gradually increasing complexity, are suggested. The conversation also touches on finding the value of delta based on the given inequalities.
dainty77

Homework Statement

For every ε> 0, there is a δ> 0 such that 1- δ< x <1 + implies 2- ε <7-5x <2 + ε

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding of epsilon-delta proofs is very minimal at this point. Was hoping someone would be able to explain your thought process when attempting these kinds of proofs. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dainty77! :smile:
dainty77 said:
Was hoping someone would be able to explain your thought process when attempting these kinds of proofs.

my thought process would be to attempt the simplest possible solution first …

ie try δ = kε first (for a constant k),

then δ = kε2, then δ = k√ε and so on :wink:

Likes 1 person
I would start with [itex]2- \epsilon< 7- 5x[/itex] and see that [itex]-5- \epsilon< -5x[/itex] so that [itex]x< 1+ \epsilon/5[/itex] and [itex]x- 1< \epsilon/5[/itex]. Then turn to [itex]7- 5x< 2+ \epsilon[/itex], so that [itex]-5x< -5+ \epsilon[/itex] and [itex]x> 1- \epsilon/5[/itex], [itex]x- 1> -\epsilon/5[/itex]. Now do you see what [itex]\delta[/itex] must be?

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
hi dainty77! :smile:

my thought process would be to attempt the simplest possible solution first …

ie try δ = kε first (for a constant k),

then δ = kε2, then δ = k√ε and so on :wink:

I see where you are gettiing at! Let me work on it some more. Thank you for your help!

1. What is an epsilon-delta proof?

An epsilon-delta proof is a type of mathematical proof used to establish the limit of a function. It is often used in calculus to show that a function approaches a specific value as its input approaches a certain value. The proof involves choosing an arbitrary small value (epsilon) and finding a corresponding small interval (delta) where all the points in the interval produce outputs within epsilon of the limit.

2. Why is it important to understand the thought process behind epsilon-delta proofs?

Understanding the thought process behind epsilon-delta proofs allows for a deeper understanding of calculus concepts and the ability to apply them in various mathematical and scientific fields. It also helps in developing critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.

3. What are the key steps in an epsilon-delta proof?

The key steps in an epsilon-delta proof are:

1. Setting up the problem and identifying the limit to be proven.
  2. Selecting an arbitrary epsilon value and finding a corresponding delta value.
  3. Manipulating the function using algebra to find an expression for delta in terms of epsilon.
  4. Proving that the function stays within the chosen epsilon interval for all inputs within the delta interval.
  5. Concluding that the limit is true based on the chosen epsilon and delta values.

4. What are some common challenges in understanding epsilon-delta proofs?

Some common challenges in understanding epsilon-delta proofs include:

• Difficulty in selecting appropriate epsilon and delta values.
  • Confusion in manipulating the function algebraically to find an expression for delta in terms of epsilon.
  • Lack of familiarity with mathematical notation and terminology.
  • Inability to visualize the concept of a limit and its relationship to epsilon and delta values.

5. How can I improve my understanding of epsilon-delta proofs?

Some tips for improving understanding of epsilon-delta proofs include:

• Practice solving different types of epsilon-delta proof problems.
  • Take notes and create visual representations of the concepts to aid in understanding.
  • Seek help from a tutor or instructor for clarification and guidance.
  • Read through examples and explanations in textbooks or online resources.
  • Break down the proof into smaller steps and understand the purpose of each step.