What is the value of c when the areas above and below the line y = c are equal?

• Thread starter terryds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Line
In summary, the gray area below the line y = c and the gray area above line y=c are equal when the value of c is 27/4. This can be found by setting up an integral with the translated parabola y = -x^2+6x-c and solving for the roots of the resulting quadratic equation in terms of c. Alternatively, using the inverse function of the parabola, f^-1(x) = √(9-x) + 3, one can also find the value of c by setting up an integral and solving for the roots of the resulting quadratic equation in terms of c.
terryds

Homework Statement

qppac1.png

In the picture above, line y = c intersects with parabola y = 6x-x^2 in the first quadrant.
If the gray area below line y = c and the gray area above line y=c are equal, then value of c is ...
A. 19/4
B.21/4
C.23/4
D.25/4
E. 27/4

Homework Equations

Area under parabola = 2/3* base * height
Area above parabola = 1/3 * base* height
Area = definite integral

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Parabola y=6x-x^2 has peak point (3,9)

Suppose a is the x-intercept of the line and parabola.
At x = a, c equals 6a-a^2
So, the gray area below the line is 1/3 * a * (6a-a^2)

The base for the upper gray parabola area is 2(3) - 2a = 6-2a
So, the gray area above the line is 2/3 * (6-2a) * (9-(6a-a^2))

I get a = 1.592
and c = 6a-a^2 = 7.017

However, I'm sure the correct answer is 27/4 (I've tested it using integral method)
Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:

Homework Statement

qppac1.png

In the picture above, line y = c intersects with parabola y = 6x-x^2 in the first quadrant.
If the gray area below line y = c and the gray area above line y=c are equal, then value of c is ...
A. 19/4
B.21/4
C.23/4
D.25/4
E. 27/4

Homework Equations

Area under parabola = 2/3* base * height
Area above parabola = 1/3 * base* height
Area = definite integral

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Parabola y=6x-x^2 has peak point (3,9)

Suppose a is the x-intercept of the line and parabola.
At x = a, c equals 6a-a^2
So, the gray area below the line is 1/3 * a * (6a-a^2)

The base for the upper gray parabola area is 2(3) - 2a = 6-2a
So, the gray area above the line is 2/3 * (6-2a) * (9-(6a-a^2))

I get a = 1.592
and c = 6a-a^2 = 7.017

However, I'm sure the correct answer is 27/4 (I've tested it using integral method)
Please help...

Your expression for the gray area below the line is incorrect.

Last edited:
Translate the parabola downward till the line y=c coincides with the x-axis and then integrate the translated parabola from x=0 to the right intersection with the x axis. You will find c by making this integral vanish.

Alternatively you can work with the inverse function ##x=f^{-1}(y)##. I think this way can br easier.

Ray Vickson said:
Your expression for the gray area below the line is incorrect.
Why??
I think it's correct

blue_leaf77 said:
Translate the parabola downward till the line y=c coincides with the x-axis and then integrate the translated parabola from x=0 to the right intersection with the x axis. You will find c by making this integral vanish.

Okay, so the translated parabola become

y = -x^2+6x-c

But, I don't know the roots of the polynomial since there is an unknown c.
Even if I substitute it with ( -6 ± 36 - 4k ) / -2 , I see it'll be very messy and hard to solve

blue_leaf77 said:
Alternatively you can work with the inverse function ##x=f^{-1}(y)##. I think this way can br easier.

The inverse function of the parabola is

f^-1(x) = √(9-x) + 3

But, what does the inverse have to do with the area ? I don't understand the method

I have tried following the method suggested in post #4. I ended up having to solve cubic polynomial in ##c##. However using graphical method I did find 27/4 as one of the solutions. Probably there are other members who can propose a more elegant method.

blue_leaf77 said:
I have tried following the method suggested in post #4. I ended up having to solve cubic polynomial in ##c##. However using graphical method I did find 27/4 as one of the solutions. Probably there are other members who can propose a more elegant method.

Okay..
Thanks anyway

terryds said:
Why??
I think it's correct

y = -x^2+6x-c

Even if I substitute it with ( -6 ± 36 - 4k ) / -2 , I see it'll be very messy and hard to solve
Anyway, you can write the solutions x1 and x2 (x1<x2) of the quadratic equation in terms of c. ##\int _0 ^{x_1}(c-y)dx = \int _{x_1} ^{x_2}(y-c)dx ## means that ## \int _0 ^ {x_2} {(-x^2+6x-c)dx}=0##
Do the integration, substitute the limits, and solve the equation for c (it will become a quadratic one), not that terrible.

Likes terryds
ehild said:
the quadratic equation in terms of c
I haven't tried myself what I suggested in post #3 which seems to coincide to your proposed method, but is it really quadratic in ##c##?
I mean first we need to solve for ##x_2##, probably by using the usual quadratic root formula, and this will sure contain ##c## under a square root. As for the integral itself, there will be ##x^3## arising from the quadratic term in ##y(x)##.

blue_leaf77 said:
I haven't tried myself what I suggested in post #3 which seems to coincide to your proposed method, but is it really quadratic in ##c##?
I mean first we need to solve for ##x_2##, probably by using the usual quadratic root formula, and this will sure contain ##c## under a square root. As for the integral itself, there will be ##x^3## arising from the quadratic term in ##y(x)##.
Yes, you proposed the same method.
It will be simplified to a quadratic, as all terms of the definite integral contain x2.

terryds said:
Why??
I think it's correct

Because when I did it (or, rather, had Maple do it) I got an answer that is different from yours. Not just difference in appearance, but different in fact: having a non-zero deviation between yours and mine.

Anyway, you did not actually show the step-by-step details of your work, so I cannot say where you went astray.

y = -x^2+6x-c

The inverse function of the parabola is

f^-1(x) = √(9-x) + 3

But, what does the inverse have to do with the area ? I don't understand the method

ehild said:
Anyway, you can write the solutions x1 and x2 (x1<x2) of the quadratic equation in terms of c. ##\int _0 ^{x_1}(c-y)dx = \int _{x_1} ^{x_2}(y-c)dx ## means that ## \int _0 ^ {x_2} {(-x^2+6x-c)dx}=0##
Do the integration, substitute the limits, and solve the equation for c (it will become a quadratic one), not that terrible.
Thanks.. I've got it

1. What is the concept of equal area divided by line?

Equal area divided by line refers to a mathematical method of dividing a given shape or region into two equal parts by drawing a straight line through its center. This allows for a balanced distribution of the area on both sides of the line.

2. How is equal area divided by line useful in science?

In science, equal area divided by line is often used in experiments and research studies to ensure that the control and experimental groups are divided equally. This allows for more accurate and unbiased results to be obtained.

3. What are the key principles behind equal area divided by line?

The key principles behind equal area divided by line include geometric symmetry and the concept of equal distribution. The line must be drawn in a way that divides the shape or region into two equal parts, ensuring that each part has the same amount of area.

4. Can equal area divided by line be applied to any shape or region?

Yes, equal area divided by line can be applied to any shape or region as long as it can be divided into two equal parts. This includes circles, triangles, rectangles, and irregular shapes.

5. Are there any limitations to using equal area divided by line?

One limitation of using equal area divided by line is that it may not always be possible to divide a shape or region into two equal parts with a straight line. In such cases, alternative methods may need to be used to achieve equal distribution.