Equal sign with a triagle above it?

• Thread starter frankR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sign
In summary, the equal sign with a triangle above it is a mathematical symbol that represents "identical to" and is used in geometry, algebra, and trigonometry. It was first introduced by Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz in the 17th century and has a similar meaning to other symbols such as the triple bar and congruence symbol with a tilde.
frankR
In my EM textbook it uses a equal sign with a triangle on top to define the intrinsic impedence of a lossless medium.

I think it means definition but I'm not certain.

The text is 2004 edition of author Ulaby titled Fundametals of Applied Electromagnetics, pg. 265.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right. This symbol: [tex] \triangleq [/tex] means that it is equal to by definition.

I've also seen the three lined equal sign, [tex] \equiv [/tex], used in definition statements.

Thanks.

Related to Equal sign with a triagle above it?

1. What does the equal sign with a triangle above it mean?

The equal sign with a triangle above it is a mathematical symbol that represents the concept of "identical to." It is commonly used in geometry and algebra to show that two expressions or values are equal.

2. How is the equal sign with a triangle above it different from the regular equal sign?

The equal sign with a triangle above it is different from the regular equal sign in that it signifies an exact equivalence, rather than just equality. This means that the two expressions or values are not just equal, but also identical in every way.

3. What is the origin of the equal sign with a triangle above it?

The equal sign with a triangle above it, also known as the congruence symbol, was first introduced by the German mathematician and physicist Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz in the late 17th century. He used it to represent the concept of "congruence" or "equality in all respects."

4. In what areas of math is the equal sign with a triangle above it commonly used?

The equal sign with a triangle above it is commonly used in geometry, algebra, and trigonometry. In geometry, it is used to show that two shapes are congruent, while in algebra it is used to represent equivalent expressions. In trigonometry, it is used to show that two angles are equal.

5. Are there any other symbols that have a similar meaning to the equal sign with a triangle above it?

Yes, there are other symbols that have a similar meaning to the equal sign with a triangle above it. These include the triple bar symbol (≡) and the congruence symbol with a tilde above it (≅). Both of these symbols also represent "identical to" or "equivalence in all respects."