Equation for a DC motor driving an arm

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of developing dynamic equations for a system with a torsional spring constant, viscous-friction coefficient, and disturbance torque on the torque arm. The question also asks for clarification on the difference between the motor and load in terms of their respective subscript notations.
YinSan
Homework Statement
Develop dynamic equations of the system with ia(t).
Relevant Equations
Tm=KiIa
https://d2vlcm61l7u1fs.cloudfront.net/media/9b2/9b24aa39-e135-4529-9eaf-29a3cd057502/phpubWKNH.png
Untitled1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It would help if you would put into words what the problem is and what your approach is.

And could you please clarify why ##\theta_m## and ##\theta_L## are not equal? I don't see any sort of gearbox that will gear down the motor to make the arm rotate differently from the shaft.

1594651927636.png

Likes YinSan
K is the torsional spring constant
B = viscous-friction coefficient of shaft
between the motor and arm
TL is the disturbance on the torque arm.
K& B I think it should be located between the arm and motor. Subscript m refers to the motor. Subscript L refers to the load.
The picture I posted is my attempted solution for differential equations. I just don't know how to develop dynamic equations.

1. What is the equation for a DC motor driving an arm?

The equation for a DC motor driving an arm is: Torque = K * I * N, where K is a constant, I is the current flowing through the motor, and N is the number of turns in the armature.

2. How does the equation change for a different type of motor?

The equation may change for different types of motors, as different motor designs may have different factors that affect the torque. However, the basic principle of torque being proportional to current and number of turns in the armature remains the same for most types of motors.

3. What is the significance of the constant K in the equation?

The constant K represents the motor's physical characteristics, such as the size and shape of the armature, the strength of the magnetic field, and the number of poles in the motor. It is a measure of the motor's efficiency and can vary depending on the specific motor design.

4. How does the equation relate to the speed of the motor?

The speed of the motor is directly proportional to the torque applied to the arm. As the torque increases, the motor will rotate faster. The equation can be used to calculate the required torque to achieve a desired speed for the motor.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the motor's performance?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the motor's performance, such as the voltage applied to the motor, the load on the arm, and any friction or resistance in the motor's components. These factors may need to be taken into account when using the equation to determine the motor's performance.