Equation of accelerated motion in GR

In summary, the student attempted to integrate the geodesic equation for a constant proper acceleration, but found that the solution did not make sense. He realized that he had made a mistake and solved the equation using MCRF initial conditions.
Decibit
Hello forum members,
I decided to post in the homework section because my question seems very basic to me. Still I'm getting stuck with it and would appreciate any help.

Homework Statement

I am teaching myself foundations of GR with the goal of simulating numerically some motion in flat and curved space-time. So I start with the geodesic equation
[tex]\frac{d^2x^\mu}{d\tau^2} + \Gamma^\mu_{\alpha\beta}\frac{dx^\alpha}{d\tau}\frac{dx^\beta}{d\tau} = 0[/tex]
According to the forum thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/accelerated-motion.118435/ one can use for constant acceleration the equation like this:
[tex]\frac{d^2x^\mu}{d\tau^2} + \Gamma^\mu_{\alpha\beta}\frac{dx^\alpha}{d\tau}\frac{dx^\beta}{d\tau} = a^\mu[/tex]
where [itex]a^\mu[/itex] is a constant vector with the timelike being zero.
Let us first consider flat Minkowski space so [itex]\Gamma^\mu_{\alpha\beta}=0[/itex] and the equation of motion takes the form:
[tex]\frac{d^2x^\mu}{d\tau^2} = a^\mu[/tex]
At this point it almost looks like the Newton's equation. But the problem remains: how can I integrate it?

Homework Equations

[tex]\eta=diag(-1,1,1,1)[/tex]
[tex]d\tau=-\eta_{\alpha\beta}dx^\alpha dx^\beta[/tex]
Greek indices run from 0 to 3, latin indices are from 1 to 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I use ##\tau## as an independent variable the result doesn't make any sense
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
x^i=C^i_0+C^i_1 \tau+a^i\frac{\tau^2}{2}\\
x^0=C^0_0+C^0_1 \tau\end{array}[/tex]
Where ## C^\mu_0## and ##C^\mu_1## are some constants. I suppose that we can fix these constants at ## C^\mu_0 = 0## , ##C^i_1=0## and ##C^0_1=1## if we start at MCRF. So the equations are further simplified to
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
x^i=a^i\frac{\tau^2}{2}\\
x^0=\tau\end{array}[/tex]
Quick consistency check with ##a^i=(1,0,0)##.
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
x^1=\frac{\tau^2}{2}\\
x^0=\tau\end{array}[/tex]
At ##\tau = 4## the particle has traveled 8 units of lengths and 4 units of time. As FTL travel is not possible I'm sure that I'm making a mistake. So, what is the proper way to integrate [itex]\frac{d^2x^\mu}{d\tau^2} = a^\mu[/itex] (with a possibility to extend it to non-flat space-time)?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]a^\mu[/itex] is a constant, then you can integrate immediately:

[itex]x^\mu = \frac{1}{2} a^\mu \tau^2[/itex]

However, it is not actually possible for an object to maintain a constant proper acceleration. You can have a constant magnitude for the acceleration.

For a slower-than-light object, the 4-velocity satisfies: [itex]U^\mu U_\mu = c^2[/itex] (or -[itex]c^2[/itex], depending on the convention). If you take a derivative with respect to proper time, you find that: [itex]U_\mu \frac{dU^\mu}{d\tau} = 0[/itex]. So the 4-acceleration [itex]A^\mu = \frac{dU^\mu}{d\tau}[/itex] is always "perpendicular" to the 4-velocity. That relation can't be maintained if [itex]A^\mu[/itex] is constant and [itex]U^\mu[/itex] is not.

What you can do is to let the squared magnitude, [itex]A_\mu A^\mu[/itex], be constant. That means (taking a derivative with respect to proper time) that [itex]A_\mu \frac{dA^\mu}{d\tau} = 0[/itex].

Likes Decibit
Great answer! Thanks!
stevendaryl said:
However, it is not actually possible for an object to maintain a constant proper acceleration. You can have a constant magnitude for the acceleration.
This was probably the whole point I was missing! So, my initial equation was wrong. No wonder that the answer didn't make sense.

Another statement you've said, namely
stevendaryl said:
So the 4-acceleration [itex]A^\mu = \frac{dU^\mu}{d\tau}[/itex] is always "perpendicular" to the 4-velocity.
What you can do is to let the squared magnitude, [itex]A_\mu A^\mu[/itex], be constant.
reminded me of something I've seen in a textbook:
Bernard Schutz: A first Course in General Relativity said:
§ 2.6: [itex] \vec{a}=\frac{d\vec{U}}{d\tau}\vec{U} \cdot \vec{a} = 0[/itex]
§ 2.9 Exer. 19 A body is said to be uniformly accelerated if its acceleration four-vector [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] has constant spatial direction and magnitude, say [itex]\vec{a} \cdot \vec{a} = \alpha^2 \geqslant 0[/itex]

Working out through the exercise we start with
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
U^\mu U_\mu = 1 \\
A^\mu U_\mu = 0 \\
A^\mu A_\mu = \alpha^2
\end{array}[/tex]
As we consider only one direction we can assume [itex]A^2=A^3=U^2=U^3=0[/itex] This allows us to express
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
A^0=\frac{dU^0}{d\tau}=\alpha U^1\\
A^1=\frac{dU^1}{d\tau}=\alpha U^0
\end{array}[/tex]
Which is a system of linear DE with constant coefficients. The solution is straightforward
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
U^0=C_1 e^{\alpha \tau} + C_2 e^{-\alpha \tau}\\
U^1=C_1 e^{\alpha \tau} - C_2 e^{-\alpha \tau}
\end{array}[/tex]
Using the MCRF initial conditions [itex]U^0(\tau=0)=1,U^1(\tau=0)=0[/itex] we get
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
U^0=cosh(\alpha \tau)\\
U^1=sinh(\alpha \tau)
\end{array}[/tex]
and after integrating these we get the solution:
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
x^0=\frac{1}{\alpha}sinh(\alpha \tau)\\
x^1=\frac{1}{\alpha}cosh(\alpha \tau)
\end{array}[/tex]

Using [itex]cosh(arcsinh(x))=\sqrt{1+x^2}[/itex] it is easy to show that
[tex] x^1 = \frac{1}{\alpha} \sqrt{1+\alpha^2 {x^0}^2} [/tex]
This is consistent with the derivation here http://www.physicspages.com/2011/05/25/acceleration-in-special-relativity/ So I'm quite happy now.
I think that I can figure out arbitrary acceleration direction using matrix transformations.
Thanks again for your excellent counseling!

Last edited:
Likes stevendaryl

What is the equation of accelerated motion in general relativity?

The equation of accelerated motion in general relativity is known as the geodesic equation. It describes the motion of a particle in a curved spacetime, taking into account the effects of gravity.

How is the equation of accelerated motion derived in general relativity?

The geodesic equation is derived from Einstein's field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy. By solving these equations, we can determine the path that a particle will follow in a given gravitational field.

What are the variables in the equation of accelerated motion in general relativity?

The geodesic equation includes several variables, such as the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle, as well as the metric tensor, which describes the curvature of spacetime.

How does the equation of accelerated motion in general relativity differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the acceleration of a particle is solely determined by the net force acting on it. In general relativity, the acceleration is also affected by the curvature of spacetime, which is determined by the distribution of matter and energy.

What are some applications of the equation of accelerated motion in general relativity?

The geodesic equation has been used to make predictions about the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in our solar system. It has also been applied to cosmology, helping us understand the expansion of the universe and the behavior of objects in extreme gravitational fields, such as black holes.