Four-momenta trend as a function of proper time

In summary, the summary is that the equation states that the cost of moving from position (0, 0, 0) to position (1, 1, 1) is the sum of the forces exerted by the vectors (0, -E_y, 0) and (1, -B_z, 0).
Frostman
Homework Statement
In an inertial reference system, a particle of mass ##m## and charge ##q## is given, with initial speed ##v(0) = (v_x (0); v_y (0); v_z (0))##. Furthermore, there is an electric field ##E##, parallel to the y-axis, and a magnetic field ##B##, parallel to the z-axis, both constant, homogeneous and such that ##|E| = |B|## in natural units.
Calculate the trend of the four-momenta ##p^\mu## as a function of the proper time ##\tau## and of the initial speed.
Relevant Equations
##\frac{dp^\mu}{d\tau}=qF^{\mu\nu}v_\nu##
As a starting point I immediately thought about the equation:

##\frac{dp^\mu}{d\tau}=qF^{\mu\nu}v_\nu##

From this I proceed component by component:

##\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}=qF^{0\nu}v_\nu=q\gamma E_yv_y##
##\frac{dp^1}{d\tau}=qF^{1\nu}v_\nu=q\gamma v_yB_z##
##\frac{dp^2}{d\tau}=qF^{2\nu}v_\nu=q\gamma (E_y-u_xB_z)##
##\frac{dp^3}{d\tau}=qF^{3\nu}v_\nu=0##

Now that I have the values I integrate:

##p^0=\int_{p^0(0)}^{p^0(\tau)}dp^0=\int_{0}^{\tau}d\tau q\gamma E_yv_y##
##p^1=\int_{p^1(0)}^{p^1(\tau)}dp^0=\int_{0}^{\tau}d\tau q\gamma v_yB_z##
##p^2=\int_{p^2(0)}^{p^2(\tau)}dp^0=\int_{0}^{\tau}d\tau q\gamma (E_y-u_xB_z)##
##p^3=\int_{p^3(0)}^{p^3(\tau)}dp^0=\int_{0}^{\tau}d\tau 0=0##

I have a problem solving integrals with respect to ##\tau##, maybe I solved the last component, but I'm not sure:

##p^3(\tau) - p^3(0) = 0 \rightarrow p^3(\tau)= \text{cost} = m\gamma v_z(0)##

Can you tell me first of all if everything I have done is correct and if it remains for me to understand how to solve the integrals? If so, how can I proceed in solving these integrals? Is it okay that I analyze component by component or should I write it all in a formula like ##\frac{dp^\mu}{d\tau}=qF^{\mu\nu}v_\nu##?

Physics news on Phys.org
My first advice is to write everything in terms of ##p##, which is your goal. Notice that ##p^\mu = m v^\mu## so $$\frac{d p^\mu}{d \tau} = \frac{q}{m} F^{\mu\nu}p_{\nu}$$.
Now, using the fact that ##|E|=|B|##, look more closely to the equations ##\mu = 0## and ##\mu = 1##. Can you spot anything?

Likes Frostman
Gaussian97 said:
My first advice is to write everything in terms of ##p##, which is your goal. Notice that ##p^\mu = m v^\mu## so $$\frac{d p^\mu}{d \tau} = \frac{q}{m} F^{\mu\nu}p_{\nu}$$.
Now, using the fact that ##|E|=|B|##, look more closely to the equations ##\mu = 0## and ##\mu = 1##. Can you spot anything?
##\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}=\frac qmF^{0\nu}p_\nu=\gamma \frac qm E_yp_y##
##\frac{dp^1}{d\tau}=\frac qmF^{1\nu}p_\nu=\gamma \frac qm B_zp_y=\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}##

This from ##|E|=|B|## that is ##E_y = B_z##.

Ok, perfect, with that you can obtain very useful information that can be used in equation ##\mu = 2##. (Specially if you rewrite it in therms of ##p##)

Likes PhDeezNutz
Gaussian97 said:
Ok, perfect, with that you can obtain very useful information that can be used in equation ##\mu = 2##. (Specially if you rewrite it in therms of ##p##)
Do you mean that?

##\frac{dp^2}{d\tau}=\frac qm F^{2\nu}p_{\nu}=\gamma \frac qm (E_y-p_xB_z)=\gamma \frac qm E_y(1-p_x)##

Frostman said:
Do you mean that?

##\frac{dp^2}{d\tau}=\frac qm F^{2\nu}p_{\nu}=\gamma \frac qm (E_y-p_xB_z)=\gamma \frac qm E_y(1-p_x)##
Well... not quite, the second equality is not correct. Also I'm telling you that the fact that
$$\frac{d p^0}{d \tau} = \frac{d p^1}{d \tau}$$ can be very useful there.

Do you mean this equality?

##\frac qm F^{2\nu}p_\nu=\gamma \frac qm(E_y-p_xB_z)##?

Yes, exact

Could it be now?
##\frac qm F^{2\nu}p_\nu=\gamma \frac qm(mE_y-p_xB_z)##?

No, still wrong. Try to write here all the intermediate steps, and we'll see where's the error.

I'm using this values:
##
F^{\mu\nu}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 & -E_y & 0\\
0 & 0 & -B_z & 0\\
E_y & B_z & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}
##

##
p_\nu = (\gamma m, -\gamma p_x, -\gamma p_y, -\gamma p_z )
##

So:

##F^{2\nu}p_\nu=E_y\gamma m - B_z\gamma p_x - 0 - 0=\gamma(E_y m -p_x B_z)##

Well, look better than before.
This could be a matter of convention, but I haven't seen anyone writing ##p_\nu = \gamma(m, -p_x, -p_y, -p_z)##, anyway since our aim is to compute ##p_\nu(\tau)## it is not a good idea to write them in terms of other things, so I would keep them as simply ##p_\nu = (p_0, p_1, p_2, p_3) = (p^0, -p^1, -p^2, -p^3)##

Gaussian97 said:
Well, look better than before.
This could be a matter of convention, but I haven't seen anyone writing ##p_\nu = \gamma(m, -p_x, -p_y, -p_z)##, anyway since our aim is to compute ##p_\nu(\tau)## it is not a good idea to write them in terms of other things, so I would keep them as simply ##p_\nu = (p_0, p_1, p_2, p_3) = (p^0, -p^1, -p^2, -p^3)##
Do you mean the fact of the indices in the four-vector expressed component by component or the minus signs from the second component onwards?

I'm saying that I haven't seen anyone writing ##p_1 = -\gamma p_x##, but this could be just a matter on how you define things.
In any case, with this definition of ##p_\nu##, your expression is correct. But again, since we want to find the functions ##p^\mu(\tau)## I think it is better to keep them in our equations.

So, now you have ##\frac{d p^2}{d\tau}=\gamma(E_y m -p_x B_z)##, after expressing them using ##p^0## and ##p^1## and using ##|E|=|B|##, what do you notice?

I have:

##\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}=\frac qmF^{0\nu}p_\nu=\gamma \frac qm E_yp_y##
##\frac{dp^1}{d\tau}=\frac qmF^{1\nu}p_\nu=\gamma \frac qm B_zp_y=\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}##
##\frac{dp^2}{d\tau}=\frac qmF^{2\nu}p_\nu=\gamma \frac qm (E_ym-p_xB_z)=\gamma \frac {qE_y}m (m-p_x)=\frac{1}{p_y}\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}(m-p_x)##

I'm not sure if the last step is what you ask me ...

Last edited:
No, I'm asking you to write ##\frac{d p^2}{d \tau}## in terms of ##p^0## and ##p^1##.

In fact mixing the conventions used confuses me for a moment, it should be like this:

##\frac{dp^2}{d\tau}=\frac qmF^{2\nu}p_\nu=\gamma \frac qm (E_ym-p_xB_z)=\frac {qE_y}m(p^0-p^1) ##

Ok, that's the equation that will help us with the problem!
Take a moment to look at this equation with ##\frac{d p^0}{d \tau} = \frac{d p^1}{d \tau}## in mind. You should be able to find an interesting conclusion.

Since they are infinitesimal quantities, I think it means that even if integrated for a "proper time" these quantities remain the same.

Mmm... I am not sure what quantity you refer to as infinitesimal...
In any case if you still haven't spotted, try to compute $$\frac{d^2 (p^2)}{d \tau ^2}$$

Gaussian97 said:
Mmm... I am not sure what quantity you refer to as infinitesimal...
In any case if you still haven't spotted, try to compute $$\frac{d^2 (p^2)}{d \tau ^2}$$
Yeah
$$\frac{d^2 (p^2)}{d \tau ^2}= \frac {qE_y}m\bigg(\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}-\frac{dp^1}{d\tau}\bigg)=0$$

Ok, now should be straightforward to compute ##p^2(\tau)##, which can the be used to compute ##p^0## and ##p^1##.

Yes, I can find:
$$p^0(\tau)= p^1(\tau) =\gamma \frac qm E_yp_y \tau=\gamma \frac qm B_zp_y \tau$$
$$p^2(\tau)= 0$$
$$p^3(\tau)= 0$$
Right?
I think we need to find an another way to write them as function not only of proper time but also of initial speed.

No, that's not correct, how do you reach such conclusions?

I just integrated this two times ##\frac{d^2 (p^2)}{d \tau ^2}= 0## but yes, it makes non-sense since ##\frac{d (p^2)}{d \tau }## must be a constant and ##p^2## a linear term in ##\tau##...
Which quantity I need to integrate so? I understand the fact that ##\frac{d^2 (p^2)}{d \tau ^2}= 0## because of ##\frac{d p^0}{d \tau}= \frac{d p^1}{d \tau}##

Frostman said:
I just integrated this two times ##\frac{d^2 (p^2)}{d \tau ^2}= 0## but yes, it makes non-sense since ##\frac{d (p^2)}{d \tau }## must be a constant and ##p^2## a linear term in ##\tau##...
Which quantity I need to integrate so? I understand the fact that ##\frac{d^2 (p^2)}{d \tau ^2}= 0## because of ##\frac{d p^0}{d \tau}= \frac{d p^1}{d \tau}##

Well, I don't know how you integrated, but as you say. The integral should give you ##p^2## as a linear function of ##\tau##. In the same way the equation for ##p^3## doesn't imply that ##p^3=0##.

Gaussian97 said:
Well, I don't know how you integrated, but as you say. The integral should give you ##p^2## as a linear function of ##\tau##. In the same way the equation for ##p^3## doesn't imply that ##p^3=0##.
I have these relation:

##\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}=\gamma \frac qm E_yp^2##
##\frac{dp^1}{d\tau}=\gamma \frac qm B_zp^2##
##\frac{dp^2}{d\tau}=\frac {qE_y}m(p^0-p^1) ##

##\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}=\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}##
##\frac{dp^2}{d\tau}=\frac {qE_y}m(p^0-p^1) ##

I can integrate this:
$$\frac{dp^2}{d\tau}=\frac {qE_y}m(p^0-p^1)$$
$$\int_{p^2(0)}^{p^2(\tau)}dp^2=\int_{0}^{\tau}\frac {qE_y}m(p^0-p^1)$$
$$p^2(\tau)-p^2(0)=\frac {qE_y}m(p^0-p^1)\tau$$

Ok, now you should relate ##p^2(0)## and ##p^0-p^1## with ##\vec{v}(0)##.
Also, now you have ##p^2(\tau)## you can substitute in the equations for ##\frac{d p^0}{d \tau}## and ##\frac{d p^1}{d \tau}##.

Gaussian97 said:
Ok, now you should relate ##p^2(0)## and ##p^0-p^1## with ##\vec{v}(0)##.
Also, now you have ##p^2(\tau)## you can substitute in the equations for ##\frac{d p^0}{d \tau}## and ##\frac{d p^1}{d \tau}##.
It should be:
$$p^2(\tau)=\gamma (qE_y(1-v_x(0))\tau+mv_y(0))$$

One question: ##p^0-p^1## are ##p^0(0)-p^1(0)## or ##p^0(\tau)-p^1(\tau)##?

Yes, but just to be 100% clear, you should write ##\gamma(0)##.

I don't know if you see my last question in the previous post.

$$p^2(\tau)=\gamma(0) (qE_y(1-v_x(0))\tau+mv_y(0))$$

If now I integrate this:
$$\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}=\gamma(0) \frac qm E_yp^2$$
$$p^0(\tau)=\gamma(0) \bigg(\frac qm E_yp^2\tau + m\bigg)$$

##p^2## in this case is ##p^2(0)## or ##p^2(\tau)##? If is ##p^2(\tau)##, why for ##p^0-p^1## we used ##p^0(0)-p^1(0)=\gamma m (1-v_x(0))##?

Frostman said:
One question: ##p^0-p^1## are ##p^0(0)-p^1(0)## or ##p^0(\tau)-p^1(\tau)##?
##p^0(\tau)-p^1(\tau)##, of course.
Frostman said:
If now I integrate this:
$$\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}=\gamma(0) \frac qm E_yp^2$$
$$p^0(\tau)=\gamma(0) \bigg(\frac qm E_yp^2\tau + m\bigg)$$
Where does the ##\gamma## come from? And also how do you do that integral?
Frostman said:
##p^2## in this case is ##p^2(0)## or ##p^2(\tau)##? If is ##p^2(\tau)##, why for ##p^0-p^1## we used ##p^0(0)-p^1(0)=\gamma m (1-v_x(0))##?
Again, ##p^2 = p^2(\tau)##. The second question can be answered in different ways, but you should be able to answer it by looking at
$$\frac{d p^0}{d \tau} = \frac{d p^1}{d \tau}$$

Hi Frostman

have a look at this, mainly chapter 6 from page 89 on:

http://www.dfm.uninsubria.it/fh/FHpages/Teaching_files/appSR2.pdf

Furthermore, I’ like to carry your attention to the fact that the velocity ##\vec v ## has three components , so what is ##\gamma## ? To which component does it refer ? No, you can’t do that way, the motion of the charged particle isn’t in the ##x## axis direction only.
Just use the law that you have written for ## \frac { dp^{\mu}}{d\tau}## using the Faraday tensor, the last one that takes into account that ##\vec E ## is parallel to ##y## axis and ## \vec B## is parallel to the ##z## axis , and they have the same magnitude.

Gaussian97 said:
Where does the ##\gamma## come from? And also how do you do that integral?

##p^0(\tau)-p^0(0)=\int_{0}^{\tau}d\tau\gamma \frac qm E_yp^2(\tau)##

##p^0(\tau)-p^0(0)=\int_{0}^{\tau}d\tau\gamma \frac qm E_y\gamma(0) (qE_y(1-v_x(0))\tau+mv_y(0))##

I need to solve this right?

Gaussian97 said:
Again, ##p^2 = p^2(\tau)##. The second question can be answered in different ways, but you should be able to answer it by looking at
$$\frac{d p^0}{d \tau} = \frac{d p^1}{d \tau}$$

Yes. I understand this step.

Frostman said:

##p^0(\tau)-p^0(0)=\int_{0}^{\tau}d\tau\gamma \frac qm E_yp^2(\tau)##

##p^0(\tau)-p^0(0)=\int_{0}^{\tau}d\tau\gamma \frac qm E_y\gamma(0) (qE_y(1-v_x(0))\tau+mv_y(0))##

I need to solve this right?
Yes, that's the idea, but you have an extra ##\gamma## factor in ##\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}=\gamma \frac qm E_yp^2## which will complicate the integral. Try to compute ##\frac{dp^0}{d\tau}## again. Once you've done that, the integral becomes quite trivial and the problem is almost done.