Equation of ellipsoid and graph

In summary, an ellipsoid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a stretched out sphere, defined by a fixed center point and surface plane. Its equation is given by (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 + (z-l)^2/c^2 = 1, with (h,k,l) representing the center and a,b,c representing the semi-axis lengths. The graph of an ellipsoid is a curved surface transitioning smoothly between axes, with its shape varying based on the values of a,b,c. The equation is significant in various fields and can be derived using the distance formula or properties of conic sections and quadratic surfaces.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

Equation of ellipsoid is:

##\frac{x^2}{4} + \frac{y^2}{9} + z^2 = 1##

First part of the question, they asked to graph the equation. I have a question about this, I know that ##-1\leq z \leq 1##. So what happens when the constant 1 gets smaller after minusing some value of ##z^2##? Does it's "radius" get smaller?

Second part of the question is:

Is it posiible to find a function ##f(x,y)## so that this ellipsoid may be considered to be the graph of ##z=f(x,y)##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the second part, I answered no, because the graph ##z=f(x,y)## is a function of the level curve of the graph of the ellipsoid.

Am I right?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
toforfiltum said:
So what happens when the constant 1 gets smaller after minusing some value of ##z^2##? Does it's "radius" get smaller?
1 is 1, it cannot get smaller. What do you mean by "what happens", and what do you call radius?

Is it posiible to find a function ##f(x,y)## so that this ellipsoid may be considered to be the graph of ##z=f(x,y)##?
[...]
For the second part, I answered no, because the graph ##z=f(x,y)## is a function of the level curve of the graph of the ellipsoid.
I don't understand your answer, but it does not contain the crucial point. If there would be such a function: What is e. g. f(0,0)? It needs a unique z-value.

mfb said:
1 is 1, it cannot get smaller. What do you mean by "what happens", and what do you call radius?
How do I graph this ellipsoid? I was trying to use the level curves method. By looking at the equation, I know that the value of ##z## cannot be more than 1. I was trying to set the value of ##z## to plot the graph. So I was trying to plot the level curves for ##x## and ##y##. That's why the value of 1 changes when I do this. Is what I'm doing wrong?

mfb said:
I don't understand your answer, but it does not contain the crucial point. If there would be such a function: What is e. g. f(0,0)? It needs a unique z-value.
I think I now get it. There's no such unique function for ##z=f(x,y)## because it is ##z^2## in the original equation. Hence there needs to be 2 functions, ##z = \pm \sqrt{[1 - \frac{x^2}{4} - \frac{y^2}{9}]}##.

@toforfiltum: In response to your question of how to sketch an ellipsoid. Your example was$$
\frac{x^2}{4}+ \frac{y^2} 9 + z^2 = 1$$ I'm going to assume that you know that if you have the equation$$
\frac{x^2}{a^2}+ \frac{y^2} {b^2} = 1$$in the ##xy## plane, that gives an ellipse with ##x## intercepts ##(\pm a,0)## and ##y## intercepts ##(0,\pm b)##. You could lightly draw a rectangular box square with the axes through those four points and sketch a nice looking ellipse in that box.
To sketch a 3D ellipsoid like the one you gave, you can just draw the traces in the coordinate planes. For example in the plane ##x=0## your equation would be ##\frac{y^2} 9 + \frac {z^2} 1 = 1##. Sketch that in the ##yz## plane with ##y## intercepts of ##\pm 3## and ##z## intercepts of ##\pm 1##. Do the other two traces similarly.

Likes toforfiltum
toforfiltum said:
So I was trying to plot the level curves for x and y.
That is a possible approach. z cannot exceed 1 (and cannot be smaller than -1), sure, so you get curves for |z|<1. Add curves in the other planes for a nicer 3D illustration? Or use some predefined plotting algorithm that can draw the ellipsoid.

1. What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a stretched out sphere. It is defined as the set of all points in space that are equidistant from a fixed point, known as the center, and a fixed plane, known as the surface.

2. What is the equation of an ellipsoid?

The equation of an ellipsoid is given by (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 + (z-l)^2/c^2 = 1, where (h,k,l) represents the center of the ellipsoid and a,b,c represent the lengths of the semi-axes along the x, y, and z directions respectively.

3. How does the graph of an ellipsoid look like?

The graph of an ellipsoid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a stretched out sphere. It can be visualized as a solid object with a curved surface that smoothly transitions from one axis to another. The shape of the ellipsoid can vary depending on the values of a,b,c in the equation.

4. What is the significance of the equation of an ellipsoid?

The equation of an ellipsoid is significant in many fields of science, including mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to describe the shape of many natural and man-made objects, such as planets, asteroids, and satellites. It also has applications in geodesy, where it is used to model the shape of the Earth.

5. How is the equation of an ellipsoid derived?

The equation of an ellipsoid is derived using the distance formula in three-dimensional space. By setting the distance between any point on the ellipsoid and the center equal to the lengths of the semi-axes, the equation is obtained. It can also be derived using the properties of conic sections and quadratic surfaces.