Equation of motion for a driving wheel

In summary, the Driving wheel has a traction force in the direction of motion and so has a rolling resistance. However, when I try to solve for the angular velocity using the equation of motion, I get negative values. I'm not sure why this is, and I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my equations.
Payam30
Hi,
I have a Driving wheel for which I'm trying to make an observer for. The abserver works very well however , since I don't have my background in mechanics something strange happens. I have to say that I don't know why I think it's strange and that's why I put my question here.
Lets assume we have a driving wheel. The traction force is in the direction of motion and so is the rolling resistance since we have a driving wheel.
kmbdcD3.png

The EOM would be
[tex] J \dot{\omega} = T- F_r R_e - F_x R_e [/tex]
[tex] m \dot{v} = F_x + F_r [/tex]
here we assume that the values of [itex] F_s[/itex] are neglectable.
In the figure [itex] N,W, R_e, F_r, F_x, F_a, T, \omega, R_0 [/itex] are Normal force, weight, effective radius, Rolling resistance, traction force, aerodynamic force, torque, angular velocity, and nominal tire radius.
When I try to solve for [itex]\omega[/itex] for this system with, [itex] T = 100-400 Nm, F_x = 0.6*700*9.81 N, F_r = 127- 173 N, J = 25.1 , m = 700 kg, R_e = 0,72 m, F_a = 0 N [/itex] I get negative values for [itex] \omega =0:-550 rad/s [/itex] and velocity to [itex] v = 0-32 m/s[/itex]. how can it be possible? where am I doing wrong? why is [itex] \omega [/itex] negative and translation velocity positive?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,
Could it be as simple as: a positive ##\omega## is counterclockwise ? (and a positive torque ##T## as well...)

I have
BvU said:
Hi,
Could it be as simple as: a positive ##\omega## is counterclockwise ? (and a positive torque ##T## as well...)
no idea. However 400 rad/s is very high. ##\omega ## should the sam direction as torque

Payam30 said:
However 400 rad/s is very high
I agree. So is -550.
But, just like the other numbers, to me they come out of the blue sky.

If they come from your second relevant formula, however, they are definitiely wrong: there is no way a momentum and a force can be equal. They simply don't have the same dimension. What is it you mean to say with ##m \dot{v} = F_x + F_r## ?

[edit]Sorry, missed the dot.

In your first formula you write ##T## and ##F_x\,R_e## on one side with opposite signs. You sure this is the equation of motion ? Aren't ##T## and ##F_x\,R_e## one and the same ?
Same formula: ##F_r## is the sum of a positive and a negative part ?

And where does ##F_x = 0.6*700*9.81## N come from ? You sure it applies ?

Payam30 said:
##\omega ## should the sam direction as torque
I don't see ##\omega## appearing anywhere.

BvU said:
I agree. So is -550.
But, just like the other numbers, to me they come out of the blue sky.

If they come from your second relevant formula, however, they are definitiely wrong: there is no way a momentum and a force can be equal. They simply don't have the same dimension. What is it you mean to say with ##m \dot{v} = F_x + F_r## ?

[edit]Sorry, missed the dot.

In your first formula you write ##T## and ##F_x\,R_e## on one side with opposite signs. You sure this is the equation of motion ? Aren't ##T## and ##F_x\,R_e## one and the same ?
Same formula: ##F_r## is the sum of a positive and a negative part ?

And where does ##F_x = 0.6*700*9.81## N come from ? You sure it applies ?
Now I'm confused, look at the reference here.
https://theses.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-5440202339731121/unrestricted/CHAP3_DOC.pdf
From the figure and in order to have balance you have to have a ## T## and #Fx# is the traction force that is a function of ##\mu## that is the friction coefficient that is in turn a function of longitudinal slip ##\lambda##. No we consider ##\mu## to be constant. ##F_r## is rolling resistance force. The refence above in page 35 eliminates ##F_r## by some reason. According to https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/0-387-28823-6_4 ##F_r## does not give any moment about wheel centrum and is acting on the centrum of tire. but on EOM (equation of motion) it is considered negative. but it contradicts the first reference wher equation of interia and angular acceleration states the contribution of Fr is ##-F_R *R_e## thus ##F_r## and ##F_x## should in same direction.

##\mu = 0.6## and ##m = 700## and ##J=25.1## is assumed. ##F_x = 0.6*700*9.81=\mu*g*m## where ##g = 9.81##.

Payam30 said:
When I try to solve for ω for this system
How can you do that? ##\omega## and ##v## have nothing to do with your equations. The equations only (correctly) consider accelerations. They can be true at any value of ##\omega##.

Likes BvU
jack action said:
How can you do that? ##\omega## and ##v## have nothing to do with your equations. The equations only (correctly) consider accelerations. They can be true at any value of ##\omega##.
I only integrate the [itex]\dot{\omega}[/itex]. can you explain more. Do you think negative values of ##\omega## are okej? I tried with higher torque and it worked. The problem is Matlab or any programming language doesn't know where it exists any forces. For example when the vehicle is standing still, there arent any forces or if that is they have to lead to a stationary state.

Show us the equations and the values used for integration then. Your equations for force and acceleration are good.

Of course, negative values are acceptable. For example, if the input torque is zero and you have a headwind, the wheel will back up and you will have a negative velocity. I suspect the answer to your problem lies in the values (limits and conditions) you used with your integration, more than your equations themselves.

What is the equation of motion for a driving wheel?

The equation of motion for a driving wheel is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the wheel's position, velocity, and acceleration over time. It is often expressed as: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x is the position, v is the velocity, a is the acceleration, t is time, and x0 and v0 are initial position and velocity, respectively.

What factors affect the equation of motion for a driving wheel?

The equation of motion for a driving wheel is affected by various factors such as the weight and size of the wheel, the amount of friction between the wheel and the ground, and the force applied to the wheel. In addition, the shape and composition of the wheel, as well as external forces such as air resistance, can also impact the equation of motion.

How is the equation of motion for a driving wheel used in real-world applications?

The equation of motion for a driving wheel is used in many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of engineering and physics. It is used to calculate the motion of vehicles, machinery, and other moving objects, and is essential in designing and optimizing their performance. It is also used in the development of simulations and computer models for various systems and processes.

What are the limitations of the equation of motion for a driving wheel?

The equation of motion for a driving wheel is a simplified representation of the complex forces and dynamics involved in the motion of a wheel. As such, it has certain limitations and assumptions, such as assuming constant acceleration and neglecting factors like air resistance and deformation of the wheel. These limitations may affect the accuracy of the equation in certain scenarios and may require more advanced equations or models for a more precise analysis.

Are there different versions of the equation of motion for a driving wheel?

Yes, there are different versions of the equation of motion for a driving wheel depending on the specific scenario and variables involved. For example, there is a separate equation for rotational motion, which takes into account the wheel's angular velocity and acceleration. Additionally, there are variations of the equation that consider external forces and factors such as friction and air resistance. It is important to use the appropriate version of the equation for the specific application to achieve accurate results.