Equation of motion integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of equations in a basic physics tutorial, specifically how to get from the second equation to the third equation. The process involves treating the equation as a single constant and dividing by m, and then raising (e) to the power of both sides. The discussion also touches on the limitations of Newton's second law and the importance of understanding the forces involved in determining motion.
Perillux
I'm just reading a basic physics tutorial, here is what it says in the section this post concerns:I don't get how the go from the second equation to the third equation (the one with Vo). I do know how to integrate, but what are they taking the integral with respect to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it as multiplying the the dt over to the other side, and then dividing the v the other way. So we have.

-[tex]\lambda[/tex]dt=m*dv/v

Now integrate both sides, one is an integral of dt the other dv.

Mathematically, this is not exactly what's going on, but you'll learn more when you take a differential equations course. Try to figure out how they get the v_0... it's from the constant of integration.

I'm taking a differential equations class next semester.

So, I get this: -[itex]\lambda[/itex]t + C = m*ln(v) + C
then I can treat this as a single constant and I divide by m. Then I can raise (e) to the power of both sides and I have
[tex]e^{-\lambda t/m + C} = v[/tex]
which can be written:
[tex]e^{C}e^{-\lambda t/m} = v[/tex]

and since [itex]e^{C}[/itex] is a constant I guess that is where V_0 comes from ??

The original statement was, "Newton's second law is insufficient to describe the motion of a particle." The discussion then degenerated into a particular example a particle subject to viscous friction only. The example essentially shifted the focus away from the original statement. The point of the original statement was just this:

Until you know how to express the forces involved, Newton's second law only provides the frame work for expressing the relation between motion and forces. The forces must be expressed separately if Newton's second law is going to be used to determine the motion.

Thanks for clarifying that. I knew that what I was asking wasn't vital to understanding what they are saying, but I still like to know how they got there.

Related to Equation of motion integration

1. What is the equation of motion integration?

The equation of motion integration is a mathematical tool used to solve problems related to the motion of objects. It takes into account the initial position, velocity, and acceleration of an object to determine its position at any given time.

2. How is the equation of motion integration derived?

The equation of motion integration is derived from the basic principles of calculus and Newton's laws of motion. It involves integrating the acceleration function to determine the velocity and then integrating the velocity function to determine the position of an object.

3. What is the difference between numerical and analytical integration of the equation of motion?

Numerical integration involves using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, to approximate the solution to the equation of motion. Analytical integration, on the other hand, involves finding an exact solution using mathematical techniques.

4. How is the equation of motion integration used in real-world applications?

The equation of motion integration is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, to calculate the trajectories of objects and predict their motion. It is also used in computer simulations and modeling to study the behavior of complex systems.

5. What are the limitations of the equation of motion integration?

The equation of motion integration assumes that the acceleration of an object is constant, which is not always the case in real-world situations. It also does not take into account external factors, such as air resistance or friction, which can affect the motion of an object. Additionally, it can become complex and difficult to solve for more complex systems with multiple objects.