Equation of tangents of hyperbolas

• Thread starter phospho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hyperbolas
In summary, to find the equation of the tangents to the hyperbola H with equation \frac{x^2}{25} - \frac{y^2}{16} = 1 at the point (1,4), we need to use the relation a^2m^2 = b^2+c^2 and the equation of a tangent line y = mx+c. By differentiating the hyperbola with respect to x and evaluating at (1,4), we can find the value of m, the gradient of the tangent. However, the relation a^2m^2 = b^2+c^2 does not apply to tangent lines. Instead, the equation of the tangent line can be found by
phospho
find the equation of the tangents to the hyperbola H` with equation [itex] \frac{x^2}{25} - \frac{y^2}{16} = 1 [/itex] at the point (1,4)

in an earlier part of the equation we had to prove that a tangent to the a hyperbola in the form of [itex] \frac{x^2}{a^2} - \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1 [/itex] is in the form of [itex] a^2m^2 = b^2 + c^2 [/itex] where the tangent is in the form of y = mx + c

so I differentiated with respect to x and got

[tex] \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{16x}{25y} [/tex]

subbing in the values of x and y I get the value of dy/dx to be 4/25

dy/dx is the gradient of the tangent so subbing that into the equation [itex] a^2m^2 = b^2 + c^2 [/itex] as well as the values for a^2 and b^2 I can't get any real values for the constant, c so I'm not sure where I've gone wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have calculated m from evaluating dy/dx for the hyperbola at (1,4)

the equation of the tangent line is y = mx+c, so c (for the line) can be determined
by subbing in (1,4) for (x,y)

The relation a^2m^2 = b^2+c^2 is not that of a tangent line

SteamKing said:
You have calculated m from evaluating dy/dx for the hyperbola at (1,4)

the equation of the tangent line is y = mx+c, so c (for the line) can be determined
by subbing in (1,4) for (x,y)

The relation a^2m^2 = b^2+c^2 is not that of a tangent line

what is the relation of a^2m^2 = b^2+c^2 then?

Related to Equation of tangents of hyperbolas

1. What is the equation of the tangent line to a hyperbola?

The equation of the tangent line to a hyperbola is given by y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you find the slope of the tangent line to a hyperbola?

The slope of the tangent line to a hyperbola can be found by taking the derivative of the hyperbola's equation and evaluating it at the point of tangency.

3. Can a hyperbola have more than one tangent line at a given point?

No, a hyperbola can have only one tangent line at a given point. This is because a tangent line must touch the hyperbola at only one point and have the same slope as the hyperbola at that point.

4. What is the relationship between the slopes of two intersecting tangent lines to a hyperbola?

The slopes of two intersecting tangent lines to a hyperbola are negative reciprocals of each other. This means that if one slope is m, the other slope will be -1/m.

5. How do you write the equation of the tangent line to a hyperbola in standard form?

The standard form of the equation of a tangent line to a hyperbola is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept. This form is useful for easily identifying the slope and y-intercept of the tangent line.