How to Determine the Equation of a Circle from Given Diameter Coordinates?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, an elephant tramples a car when someone asks for help solving a math problem and then someone else helps before the original poster has a chance to give feedback.
mathdad
Determine the equation of the circle in standard form, given the coordinate of the diameter PQ.

P(-4, -2) and Q(6, 4)

Midpoint is (5, 3).

d = sqrt{(6-(-4))^2 + (4-(-2))

d = sqrt{(10)^2 + (6)^2}

d = sqrt{100 + 36}

d = r = sqrt{136}

Let d = distance = radius

(x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2

(x - 5)^2 + (y - 3)^2 = [sqrt{136}]^2

(x - 5)^2 + (y - 3)^2 = 136

Correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Determine the equation of the circle in standard form, given the coordinate of the diameter PQ.

P(-4, -2) and Q(6, 4)

Midpoint is (5, 3).

d = sqrt{(10)^2 + (6)^2}

d = sqrt{100 + 36}

d = r = sqrt{136}

Correct?

Let's graph your circle and the points P and Q as a check:

View attachment 7481

Hmmm...looks like the radius and center points aren't correct.

Can you spot the errors you made in applying the mid-point formula, and in determining the length of the radius?

Attachments

• rtcntc_circle.png
    rtcntc_circle.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 55
MarkFL said:
Let's graph your circle and the points P and Q as a check:
Hmmm...looks like the radius and center points aren't correct.

Can you spot the errors you made in applying the mid-point formula, and in determining the length of the radius?

On my way to work now. I will work out the math later this evening. I like the geometric picture. I would like to see more like it when answering questions involving algebra and geometry.

RTCNTC said:

P(-4, -2) and Q(6, 4)
So you are given the coordinates of the endpoints of the diameter PQ.
Midpoint is (5, 3).
No, the midpoint is ((-4+ 6)/2, (-2+ 4)/2)= (1, 1).

d = sqrt{(10)^2 + (6)^2}

d = sqrt{100 + 36}

d = r = sqrt{136}
No, the diameter is not the radius! The radius is half the diameter, [tex]\sqrt{136}/2= \sqrt{34}[/tex]

Correct?
No, it is not.

(x - 1)^2 + (y - 1)^2 = sqrt{136}/2

(x - 1)^2 + (y - 1)^2 = [sqrt{34}]^2

(x - 1)^2 + (y - 1)^2 = 34

Correct?

MarkFL said:
...Can you spot the errors you made in applying the mid-point formula, and in determining the length of the radius?

HallsofIvy said:
So you are given the coordinates of the endpoints of the diameter PQ.

No, the midpoint is ((-4+ 6)/2, (-2+ 4)/2)= (1, 1).

No, the diameter is not the radius! The radius is half the diameter, [tex]\sqrt{136}/2= \sqrt{34}[/tex]

No, it is not.

Jumanji-3.jpg

What is the connection between my reply and the angry elephant picture?

RTCNTC said:
What is the connection between my reply and the angry elephant picture?

I asked you to spot the errors you made, and then another person came along and obliviously answered the entire problem...this is called "trampling" and is against MHB's rules.

MHB Rule #14 said:
Do not explain hints prematurely. When you see someone already helping a member and waiting for the original poster to give feedback, do not give more hints or a full solution. Wait at least 24 hours for the original poster to respond.

Thus, I posted a picture of an elephant trampling a car as a humorous way to object to having my help trampled.

MarkFL said:
I asked you to spot the errors you made, and then another person came along and obliviously answered the entire problem...this is called "trampling" and is against MHB's rules.
Thus, I posted a picture of an elephant trampling a car as a humorous way to object to having my help trampled.
Thanks for explaining the picture to me. I will continue to post from the David Cohen precalculus textbook until I receive my Michael Kelly precalculus Quick Review book in about two weeks.

1. What is the equation of a circle?

The equation of a circle is (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) is the center of the circle and r is the radius.

2. How do you find the center of a circle from its equation?

The center of a circle can be found by setting the x and y terms equal to 0 and solving for h and k. The resulting point (h,k) will be the coordinates of the center.

3. Can the equation of a circle be written in other forms?

Yes, the equation of a circle can also be written as (x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = c^2, where (a,b) is the center of the circle and c is the radius.

4. How is the radius of a circle related to its equation?

The radius of a circle is equal to the square root of the number on the right side of the equation. For example, in the equation (x - 2)^2 + (y + 3)^2 = 25, the radius would be 5.

5. Can the equation of a circle be used to graph a circle?

Yes, the equation of a circle can be used to graph a circle by plotting the center point and then using the radius to plot points around the center. The points should be spaced out evenly and connected to form a circle.